FIFA Women's World Cup 2011

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Some excellent action so far in group play.

But what's with England? Down a goal to NZ, they may not make it out of group play, and I thought they were one of the teams to beat this year.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Well, the Kiwi womans team is pretty lackluster and then very occasionally brilliant. Seems they are having a good day.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
USA-Japan final on Sunday.

Japan has really been playing some inspired football. Their win over Sweden was very impressive, considering the way that Sweden handled the USA in group play.

That said, I don't think Japan has ever beaten the USA. And I don't much like their chances to do it on Sunday. Though I suppose they'll still dominate possesion and have some chances, so it should be a fun game to watch.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Hmmm.... either America will win this 4-0 or they'll have one of those days and Japan will win it 1-0.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry but.....

:hooray:

After everything Japan has been through, I'm so pleased for them!

And the USA are as bad at penalties as we are! LOL!

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
It was a good game. I really wasn't expecting Japan to score in extra time. They looked knackered.

And if your lot could finish better you'd have been five up in the first half.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
True, the US failed to capitalize on some opportunities. But they made those opportunities for themselves. It's not like Japan handed them anything. So I'm not terribly upset in that regard.

However, the play in front of Solo on the first goal by Japan was inexcusable. Should have never happened. Sawa's goal--the second--was a thing of beauty, however, as was Morgan's strike that put the US up 1-0. And Morgan's feed to Wambach was also pretty damn good.

But the US penalty shots were just bad. Contrast these to the ones in the Brazil match. Japan deserved the win. Congrats to them.

And it's weird how big Cheney's injury turned out to be. They really missed her on the corner kicks.

For the future, though, we know the US will have Cheney and Morgan up front. That's gonna work out swell...

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Congratulations to the Japanese women for the win, but to both for a great game

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
True. But towards the end there was sloppy play from both sides.

Maybe the shock of the late Japan goal put USA off in the shootout. America aren't normally that bad, are they?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
*shrug*

No, not usually. Their shots against Brazil were pretty much perfect. But PKs are PKs. The goalie guesses right or you don't make a good strike, that's it. But I gotta think the US players were telegraphing where they were going, cuz the goalie was all over those shots.

And Solo's effort in the shootout was fine, imo. So...

Still, I don't think there's much to fret about. The US played a good game, Japan just played a better one. A fair result.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great, entertaining game. Japan definitely deserved the win. U.S. just couldn't close the door.