Not open for further replies.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . .Uh, somebody explain to me how a POD book goes out of print?. . .
The publisher ceases to have copies printed. (To phrase it differently, the publisher withdraws it from publication.) The reason might be that the contract with the author has ended, or that the publisher no longer wants to be bothered with the book, or maybe it has been superceded by a revised edition, or something else. But bottom line: no new copies are being printed. Hence, "out of print."

--Ken

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
Fantasy Writers thread
I am waiting as well, and my heart is with you, and let us hope and pray for Traxias to appear. Evidently you will have have to read my book to find out just who Traxias is. It is just a string I used with PublishAmerica. They accepted. So where we go is totally up to them. We just must be patient.

PA accepted. I'm sorry but where you go will be all up to you.

Be nice if your eventual fall wouldn't be so hard, but you're writing a series and there's no guarantee PA will accept your second book or any others that follow. They may, only time will tell, and how many of your own books you buy.

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
College
I am advertising a book that I have written in the name of love and I want all to share the world that I have created. I guarantee that this book will entice the mind in a supernatural world of exploration and magick. Please, read my book, "Diimau's Creation: The Fall of the Insignates." All of the profits from the book will go to my college fund and I would deeply appreciate it that if you cannot spend the money on the book, tell a friend about me. Thank you for reading my post, and taking the time out of your day to help someone else. God speed.

Ouch! Hope you have a good backup plan to get you through college.

Double whammy on having dreams shattered.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Hello, my name is Lovie; I am a new author to this site. My book,
which is in the process of being publishes, is name a price too high to pay.

That is a most appropriate title. I just hope the author doesn't hear it repeated to her in the future from bookstore managers and customers.

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
The publisher ceases to have copies printed. (To phrase it differently, the publisher withdraws it from publication.) The reason might be that the contract with the author has ended, or that the publisher no longer wants to be bothered with the book, or maybe it has been superceded by a revised edition, or something else. But bottom line: no new copies are being printed. Hence, "out of print."
--Ken

Ah. So, rather than saying that the author received her rights back and is no longer associated with PA, PA just calls the book "out of print" and keeps the author's testimonial posted for anyone to see.

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
Ah. So, rather than saying that the author received her rights back and is no longer associated with PA, PA just calls the book "out of print" and keeps the author's testimonial posted for anyone to see.

Exactly!

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Publishers are not obligated to explain why any particular book is out of print.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

--Ken

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
I think PA does love the Purple Snowflake ads. They're a third party that directly supports PA's stance that author means marketer. It's a book that works from the premise that an author's primary job is marketing what they write. Of course they support it-- it's pushing their message.

Afinerosesheis

The One and Only Romantiac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Signing at the airport

http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?t=23591

My wife and I were at BWI Airport a few months back and stopped into the Borders. Without really thinking about it I gave the clerk my card and asked if they ever had author in for signings.
A long story short, my wife kept after the manager and they agreed to have me October 8th.
I think I'm more excited about this signing than any that I've ever done. I always thought that if you could get your book in the airport, you would probably sell quite a few. With my novel, XXXXXX
icon_razz.gif
) it is a perfect fit.
I think it is a great opportunity, and I'll let everyone know how it goes.
Let me know if anyone else has signed in the airport, and should I expect anything different? END

Now this one may have some merit BUT I keep thinking about all that security. Maybe it's just me.

Last edited:

JCT

Banned
Reaction score

My wife and I were at BWI Airport a few months back and stopped into the Borders. Without really thinking about it I gave the clerk my card and asked if they ever had author in for signings.
A long story short, my wife kept after the manager and they agreed to have me October 8th.
I think I'm more excited about this signing than any that I've ever done. I always thought that if you could get your book in the airport, you would probably sell quite a few. With my novel, XXXXXX
icon_razz.gif
) it is a perfect fit.
I think it is a great opportunity, and I'll let everyone know how it goes.
Let me know if anyone else has signed in the airport, and should I expect anything different? END

Now this one may have some merit BUT I keep thinking about all that security. Maybe it's just me.

Certainly a first.

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

My wife and I were at BWI Airport a few months back and stopped into the Borders. Without really thinking about it I gave the clerk my card and asked if they ever had author in for signings. ...

Personally I question the merit, too. Sure, selling books in an airport is great, but a book signing? When I was dashing through the Detroit and Minneapolis airports last week I was only interested in finding food and the gate for my connecting flights. I sure wouldn't have stopped for an autograph, no matter who the author was. But maybe he'll be blessed with a lot of bored travelers with long layovers ...

Afinerosesheis

The One and Only Romantiac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
maybe he'll be blessed with a lot of bored travelers with long layovers ...

That's what I was thinking with the merit. Of course it could work the other way. You just don't know. They could be so PO'd after sitting five hours in a tarmac that there is no way they are going to pay that cover price. They are wanting refunds from the airline instead.

~~Brian, you are very bad. :)

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
Just stay out of the bathrooms. Passing bookmarks under stall doors is a big no no. Just ask Senator Craig.

(Brian be a bad boy again. Okay, I go now. :gone:)

And people say I have a sick mind! Bravo!:Clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.