Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Its not meant to be rude. Saying something is just from a place isn't a derogatory thing, its just stating that different places have different rules and ways of doing things. Using the word Jimmies instead of sprinkles is just a Philadelphian thing. I'm not putting down people from Philadelphia just explaining that what people from there say. But if you took it as rude sorry.

^^ This.

I have a friend from England that uses the word jimmies instead of sprinkles...

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying to teach myself the imperial system to make measurements more relatable in my book, since while the characters are Australian they are heavily influenced by America (even more so than in modern times). It's kind of insane.

Feet, inches, yards, pounds, ounces, miles, yeah its a goofy system. If you ever need help PM me.

goddessofthehunt

Queen of inane tangents.
Registered
Reaction score
Feet, inches, yards, pounds, ounces, miles, yeah its a goofy system. If you ever need help PM me.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind :) I'm lucky that at the moment I've only had to deal in inches and feet, which are probably the easiest ones.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
^^ This.

I have a friend from England that uses the word jimmies instead of sprinkles...

SERIOUSLY!? REALLY!?!?!?! That is awesome!

I really thought the only people who knew what that meant were those from Philadelphia, and new jersey (simply because all the Philadelphia tourists at the shore for the summer.) This makes me happy to know this!

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Phillie says "jimmies"? Wow, I need to get out more! I thought that was the south... Okay, who says "pop" then?

goddessofthehunt

Queen of inane tangents.
Registered
Reaction score
In Australia, at least where I live, we just say "fizzy drink" or "soft drink".

EDIT: although we do have a drink called creaming soda.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
The south say "pop".

Also fun things i've learned. People from Pittsburgh PA call Shopping Carts "Buggies"
The majority of people from New Jersey DO NOT act like the people on the Jersey Shore.
Washington DC's roads change directions at certain times of the day.
In Colorado "Oiled Up" means drunk.
In Texas "Norther" means storm. (my mom works with alot of clients from Texas)

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
HR, I'm from the north and have never heard anyone I know say "pop"!?! Lol.

Ally, my mom says "buggie" sometimes.

Anyway, I think I managed to entirely derail this thread.

Oh well.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Generally speaking, the north says "pop" and the south says "soda" but it really depends on the family. My friends and I have had massive debates about this many times.

Now i'm curious where you live. I've only heard of people in the south with the exception Florida using "pop" and select very rural places in PA saying it.

Oh thought of another one me and my friends always fought about. A south philly thing to call tomato sauce is "gravy" Yeah my friend would ask for a pizza light on the gravy.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Gah, no, Ally, it's the 'just' that bugs me. Because people are always always always saying "oh, that's just a Canadian thing" whenever I think or say or speak or have heard differently, and never look into it as anything deeper or more interesting than that. "You say a different word? Just a Canadian thing." "You don't agree with _____? Just a Canadian thing". "You find the term 'retarded' offensive? You're weird. Must be just a Canadian thing."

It's like, when I'm angry at someone and people say "Oh, just PMSing", as though that unvalidates anything I say, think, or feel.

So, the term 'just' comes across to me as dismissive, and is very hurtful to me. I don't blame you, because I understand that you didn't mean it like that and don't see it like that, but please respect my feelings and opinion.

I'm a little bit influenced in this regard due to prior experiences, as well, so I apologize if I seem disproportionately upset.

ETA: We say 'pop'. Everyone I know at home says 'pop'. I only hear soda in the states, down in Cayman, and in Archie comics :tongue

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Oh HR, I think we're confusing terms. By north, I (and I assume Ally) assumed you were talking about the northeast, not north central (if that's even a region).

No wonder.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Really? o_O Practically everyone here says pop. Except my mom who switches back and forth.

Michigan.

One of the states I have not been in or driven through... but i do know people from Wisconsin who also use Pop, so i cant say it is strictly a Southern thing.

Gah, no, Ally, it's the 'just' that bugs me. Because people are always always always saying "oh, that's just a Canadian thing" whenever I think or say or speak or have heard differently, and never look into it as anything deeper or more interesting than that. "You say a different word? Just a Canadian thing." "You don't agree with _____? Just a Canadian thing". "You find the term 'retarded' offensive? You're weird. Must be just a Canadian thing."

It's like, when I'm angry at someone and people say "Oh, just PMSing", as though that unvalidates anything I say, think, or feel.

So, the term 'just' comes across to me as dismissive, and is very hurtful to me. I don't blame you, because I understand that you didn't mean it like that and don't see it like that, but please respect my feelings and opinion.

I'm a little bit influenced in this regard due to prior experiences, as well, so I apologize if I seem disproportionately upset.

ETA: We say 'pop'. Everyone I know at home says 'pop'. I only hear soda in the states, down in Cayman, and in Archie comics :tongue

Ok I'll make a note not to say Just like that anymore.

I'm a soda-er.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Tally--

It is irrational, but I completely I understand. I have weird quirks like that, too, like when someone tells me to "relax". I just get annoyed.

Sorry about that!

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
from what i've realized i think saying "Soda" is the minority. Its really only the northeast, Florida, and some areas of CA. (that i know of) Where people actually say Soda.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
States I've Been To:

New York
New Jersey
Maine
New Hampshire
Florida
Virginia
Georgia
Pennsylvania
North Carolina
South Carolina
California
Arizona
(technically) Texas
Connecticut
Vermont
Massachusetts

I think that's all.

I found more Northern ones used pop then Southern, BUT THAT'S JUST ME AND MY RESTAURANT EXPERIENCE.

Also, thanks Ally! Much appreciated.

AND NOW BED.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Tally--

It is irrational, but I completely I understand. I have weird quirks like that, too, like when someone tells me to "relax". I just get annoyed.

Sorry about that!

I hate when people tell me to relax too.

And hopefully this summer i'll be traveling by car to Oregon! My friend just got a park ranger job there and like last year when me and Will traveled up to Colorado with him we are hoping to travel to Oregon with him.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Morning team.

Your sprinkles are called hundreds and thousands where I come from. :D

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Morning all!

Eeep, there are entirely too many terms for everything in the English language. ;) Then again, there are tons of different terms for one and the same thing in German, so maybe I shouldn't point any fingers here. :tongue

*re-lurks*

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
Gonna study socials for the whole day :( and maybe go for a walk or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.