Songs of Murder

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's one on the Black Donnellys (of Canada), though it's not the only I remember:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDVEK1egMVw

The family was massacred by their neighbors, FWIW. Interesting stuff.

Then there's the classic "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia", recently redone by Reba McIntyre. I prefer the original Vickie Lawrence version, but the YouTube options suck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4GMUlCBgd0&feature=av2e

And Hazard, by Richard Marx: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdmHHoI9beM&feature=av2e

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the music, guys. Y'all are wunnerful!

This guy was huge, wasn't he? But somehow I've never heard this song before. I'd love to hear a stripped down acoustic version. Loved the video!

Best version I've ever heard - and I've heard this song a lot!

Written in 1959, the classic country song of a murder and consequences is Long Black Veil

Most famous is perhaps this version by The Band:

Long Black Veil

I love this song, but I don't get it. Did he really kill the dude?

My favorite version is by The Chieftans w/ Mick Jagger.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I love this song, but I don't get it. Did he really kill the dude?
No, it was a case of mistaken identity. But the only way he could produce the alibi that would have cleared him was to come clean about where he was at the time of the murder -- which would have destroyed the lives of his best friend and the friend's wife. So he kept silent and swung for the murder, innocent though he was.

I used to play that song with a former band, before I started writing my own (inferior) songs.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
The Mariner's Revenge Song by The Decemberists. A murderous sea shanty!

That was great! I love a good revenge song.

Tori Amos did a cover version of Eminem's '97 Bonnie and Clyde and it's chilling, far more so than the original, IMO.

Very cool take on that song. Never heard this before.

No, it was a case of mistaken identity. But the only way he could produce the alibi that would have cleared him was to come clean about where he was at the time of the murder -- which would have destroyed the lives of his best friend and the friend's wife. So he kept silent and swung for the murder, innocent though he was.

I used to play that song with a former band, before I started writing my own (inferior) songs.

So the guy swung rather than 'fess up to banging his best friend's wife. And she watched him swing without saying a word or shedding a tear. Who ARE these people?

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how I forgot Dirty Frank. Pearl Jam wrote this about their sketchy bus driver. At the time they were touring with the Red Hot Chili Peppers and the song deliberately mocks their style.

Dirty Frank Dahmer he's a gourmet cook, yeah.
I got a recipe for anus ankle soup, yeah.
Wanted a pass. So she relaxed. Now the little groupie's getting chopped up in the back.
I got a cupboard full of fleshy fresh ingredients
A very careful at the same time quite expedient.
Eats meat. A release.
Bus driving's harder on your head than on your feet.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Has no one mentioned Murder By Numbers by The Police yet? Holy smokes!

And Ted, Just Admit It by Jane's Addiction. Perry Farrell claimed it wasn't about Bundy, but it's so obvious who it's about. Especially when there are recordings of him speaking in the song.

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Joe
Whiskey In the Jar
El Paso - Marty Robbins.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone mentioned Dylan's The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll?

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of Murder Ballads by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. I'm currently on my third copy of the C.D., which features sad, brutal and bloody songs about people getting murdered.

I get a lot of inspiration for my horror writing from these songs and would love to add to my collection.

Do you know any really good songs about murder? YouTube links would be appreciated.

Coming a little late to this, but I love Nick Cave's material. Most of it is pretty dark, even if not about murders. It was also possibly THE BEST live gig I've been at. ;)

Have you heard his earlier work? I really like Let Love In (Loverman is fabulous), as well as Henry's Dream (Papa won't leave you Henry is one of my all-time favorites from him).

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Me and My Uncle - John Stewart wrote it, Grateful Dead did it really well (I promise, no neverending noodling!) : about a couple of card cheats. Really more about the cards.

Where the Wild Roses Grow - Nick Cave and Kylie Minogue : well, it's Nick Cave (eta: it's been pointed out to me that this song is on the album you're listening to now. Oops...)

Suffer Little Children - The Smiths : about Myra Hindley, the Moors Murderer

Stone Cold Dead in de Market - Louis Jordan and Ella Fitzgerald : humorous Caribbean number about a woman who kills her abusive husband

Peg and Pete and Me - Stan Ridgway : again, not so much about the murder, but more about being framed for it

The Roadblock - Stan Ridgway : Town vigilante crimestopper exercise gone wrong

Last edited: