The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
KellyS. said:
I was contacted on the little free page that PA gives to authors. I happened to look at my guestbook and there was a message for anyone who read my gb to see. It said something to the effect that you've been published by a scam company and I'm sorry to tell you that you need to get a lawyer. Now, it ticked me off, at first, due to the fact that I was embarrassed by that being in my gb for anyone to see. While I didn't NOT believe it, I DID hope it was wrong. There wasn't much info backing up the statement that I recall. I think there was a link or two, but can't remember to what. I freaked out because of it's location and deleted it. So, because of how it was presented to me, I reacted quickly to make it go away. I would say that it stuck in the back of my mind and depressed me.

Now, I think if someone had sent me an email with links backing it up, I would have paid more attention. I had no clue where that was coming from or why someone would sabotage (was how I saw it) my site.

All in all, I think it can go both ways.

Kelly
Kelly:thankyou: Kevin, when I put that picture on, I was wondering to myself what the "three" ********* looked like and low and behold this picture fell out of the avatar.....ha...

Moondancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-hosting.net
T42 said:
:ROFL: Moondancer, I'm not trying to sway anyone...just sending out smoke signals. If I could sway people, I would be rich, beautiful, have a best seller and my children would be doctors and lawyers.

hehe... I like that dream. Where did we go wrong? :Wha:

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Ha, need not worry about me moondancer. I'm not afraid of PA or the followers. I am a big girl (well, not BIG) and I make choices all the time that "come back to bite me in the butt" but I also know how to take responsibility for my own actions.
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

-Vernon Law

Don’t Dwell On Reality. It Will Only Keep You From Greatness.

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
Moondancer said:
But it's fun playing with the palm pilot, huh?

I bet the purple pony can outrun the thoroughbred.
You bet he can, especailly with the police and FBI on his tail.

Mem, I swear that is Meiners. Looks like him at the convention when he was able to eat and us authors were starving.

WhisperingBard

Wary...and weary
Registered
Reaction score
You were quite the PA fan during your days on their boards, so I think you're out of line giving a psychological explanation of why HB acts the way he does. You wised up, he may or may not.

On the contrary, I think this gives Diana even *more* insight into HB and others like him.

Literary Lola

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
A TRAVIS TEA
Our hats are off to reporter Scott Martelle for exposing so-called
author Travis Tea and his one-book phenomenon of a career, the truly
horrible "Atlanta Nights" ["Please Publish This Dud" Feb. 5]. It is
true that PublishAmerica initially accepted the manuscript based on a
quick skim of the contents, and just as true that when we actually
began reading the manuscript, we set it aside in horror.
LOLOL. So what did they do after their revulsion subsided? I can see it now.
"Gee, Larry, this really sucks."
"Yeah, Wills, you're right. It sucks. Moe, what say you?"
"Well, gosh, guys, it appears as though there are some great sex scenes. But, yeah, it does bite."
The Invincible Three looked at one another. "Yep," Larry said with dollar signs in his eyes. "We're agreed; let's publish it!"

From Larry: "No matter. Travis Tea's cohorts caught us in the most uncomfortable position of initially accepting a book that would never be printed."
Ah, this is akin to having one's pants pulled down and being caught wearing Scooby Doo undies. Yeah, I bet it was uncomforable.

From Larry: "Since critics have raised our profile, the number of writers who
approach us has actually increased by 40%. "
Larry Clopper
Frederick, Md.
(This writer is president of PublishAmerica.)
Yeah, sure. They're all clamoring to say, "Oh, please, Mr. Clopper, scam me next! Pleeease?"

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Kevin Yarbrough said:
You bet he can, especailly with the police and FBI on his tail.

Mem, I swear that is Meiners. Looks like him at the convention when he was able to eat and us authors were starving.
Kevin that is so funny. My mind said it had to be him when I saw it. Who knows, maybe someone was able to get a picture of him. Was Jenna at the convention...:D

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Quotation originally posted by James D. Macdonald:

Our hats are off to reporter Scott Martelle for exposing so-called
author Travis Tea. . . .

Since critics have raised our profile, the number of writers who
approach us has actually increased by 40%. . . .

Larry Clopper

Might it be more accurate to say "the number of writers who approach us brandishing weapons has actually increased by 40%"?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Literary Lola said:
"Our hats are off to reporter Scott Martelle for exposing so-called author Travis Tea..."

Not that it took a whole lot of investigation for Scott to "expose" the affair, since we'd sent out press releases....

And as to that 40% increase ... you should have seen the increase in book orders for Atlanta Nights (still a bargain at $11.94)!

Kevin Yarbrough

Registered
Reaction score
Literary Lola said:
LOLOL. So what did they do after their revulsion subsided? I can see it now.
"Gee, Larry, this really sucks."
"Yeah, Wills, you're right. It sucks. Moe, what say you?"
"Well, gosh, guys, it appears as though there are some great sex scenes. But, yeah, it does bite."
The Invincible Three looked at one another. "Yep," Larry said with dollar signs in his eyes. "We're agreed; let's publish it!"

Ah, this is akin to having one's pants pulled down and being caught wearing Scooby Doo undies. Yeah, I bet it was uncomforable.

Yeah, sure. They're all clamoring to say, "Oh, please, Mr. Clopper, scam me next! Pleeease?"
He says approach, not ask to publish their work. Authors could be emailing them asking if they are really scammers or just to make fun at them. Either way, an author approached them and that is what he said. Didn't lie, just didn't tell the whole truth.

"How many emails id we get today Mo?"

"About 60 Meiney,"

"How many wanted us to publish their book?" Meiney-heiney asked.

"One,"

"One?" Cloopy asked.

"Yeah, he just got online and found us by doing a google search. Lucky for us he didn't read the posts about Atlanta Nights," Mo replied.

"Atlanta Nights." Meiney-heiney says as he stares into space. "Such a good book, a lot of sex in it. After reading it I tried to....."

"Don't need to hear anymore," Cloopy interupted.

'Hey, you know what though?" Mo said.

"What?" Cloopy and Meiney-heiney replied in unison.

"We received 40% more emails than usual. I'm sure we can spin that somehow right?"

"You're right Mo. Consider getting a big raise when the next royalties go out," Cloopy replied.

Ahhh, a day in the Life at PA. Awesome soap opera I tell ya, needs to be on tv right before Days of our Lives.

Ed, Leap of Faith was good but you need to watch "Almost an Angel" (think that is what it is called) with Paul Hogan. Learn a lot in that movie as well.

Literary Lola

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Sassenach said:
Originally Posted by Diana Hignutt
Just for the record, it's Howard B. And Marcus is his middle name. And yes, he eats this stuff up. That is the only problem with talking about him. He loves it. He craves it. He'll see this and think...if it wasn't for the way PA runs things, he would never get to be the big important man he thinks he is on the PA board, he would never have been interviewed in the Washington Post. He's the last person in the world to want PA to change. I feel truly sorry for him. He's not evil; he's just been lied to for so long, he can't see the truth anymore. Once PA goes down it will be truly devastating for him. He'll be covered in their excrement, unable to wash it off. Perhaps he deserves it, perhaps he doesn't. But, that is what will happen. He's making himself the joke of the publishing world.

HB (and any other PA boosters/shills), how can you read this whole thread and not realize your mistake? There is still time to get away from those conmen in Frederick. You can save your writing career even now. Why not start telling the truth about PA? Why must you feed their lies, and trap more innocent people? Don't you see that's what you're doing? Just look at the facts and forget "everything PA's done for you." They have only done you a disservice. They lied to you and told you your work is perfect. It's not. You have potential. Why not try to work on your craft and look at it honestly. Just some friendly advice.

Those are rather harsh words, Diana, considering your own history on the PA boards. It took you a while to realize the truth.

I don't think anyone but HB knows why he acts the way he does, but IMO, it's not your place to offer amateur psychoanalysis.
Oh, please, Sass, get real. Harsh? There is nothing harsh about what Diana has said. In fact, it's quite measured when one stops to compare HB's actions against those he pronounced as being naughty. Obviously, you've never been on the receiving end of HB's nasty stick. Take a look at previous posts and you can see firsthand the horrendous things he's done in the name of his publisher.

Who gives a rat's patoot about how long it took anyone to wake up and see the truth about PA? HB revels in his position of Caretaker of PA. He's said it many times. Good God, we've all played amateur shrinks on this board all the time. I have to wonder exactly what your motives are; do you have a thing against Diana?

Dolan

Banned
Reaction score
Kevin

Diana does not charge, she only accepts donations. If you can not understand the word amateur, then, pray tell, how could you understand your PA contract. Stick that in your tone pipe and smoke it.

Becoming a PA published author caused my head to swell and now Dr. Diana, AP is going to shrink it back. For only a small donation. I spent my royalty check. Paid cash for a new fully loaded Hummer.

T42, how do you know that picture isn't of me? What about my copyright if it is?

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Dolan said:
Diana does not charge, she only accepts donations. If you can not understand the word amateur, then, pray tell, how could you understand your PA contract. Stick that in your tone pipe and smoke it.

Becoming a PA published author caused my head to swell and now Dr. Diana, AP is going to shrink it back. For only a small donation. I spent my royalty check. Paid cash for a new fully loaded Hummer.

T42, how do you know that picture isn't of me? What about my copyright if it is?
:snoopy: Dolan, I knew you were the one scamming all of us! DARN YOU!:Hail: Oh, forgive me, you mean it really is YOU?:Hug2:

Kevin Yarbrough

Registered
Reaction score
Dolan said:

If she doesn't charge you she must like you. She made me lay on the floor and tickled me with a feather untill I cried mommy...and then she spanked me. She said that was all the payment she needed but yet I got a notice of a bill overdue. Go figure. Maybe if I had been wearing my Scoobie Doo undies I might not have been charged, but they were dirty and had holes in them. Not to mention they were about 4 sizes to small since I had them when I was six. Dang thing look like a thong when I wear it, really chaffes the cheeks I tell ya.

By the way, did your Hummer come with a remote control and batteries? Or did it have Hot Wheels printed on the bottom?

Last edited:

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Bonnie Gibson said:
Underthecity, I agree with you. I was in doubt a long time and finally got up the courage to vent to some of the other PA authors via email. They then opened up to me and we began talking about what PA is doing to us. I felt much better knowing that I wasn't the only one who felt that PA was frauding us. After much discussion, a lot of PA authors agreed. Some just aren't ready to speak out yet. Others began to speak out after PA banned me from the messageboard and they too were banned.

Just give each one time but it doesn't hurt to let them know how you feel about PA. Who knows who we can help to "see the light."

I am making progress on tracking my sales and the dates that people ordered my book. I will soon have proof that PA cheated me out of royalties. The three stooges will really be slapping each other, very hard. Some of the PA authors can't speak because they are going through a lawyer to catch PA. Some already have proof of sales from their family and friends, and from bookstores that have ordered the book for people.

If there are any PA authors out there that are not so sure, read this entire thread. If there are any thinking about becoming PA authors, run, run, run, before it's too late. DON"T sign a contract! Your book will go nowhere.

I will repeat again: I was in the top ten of PA in the month of September2004. This was 6 months ago. (all sales should have been in and paid for either 30, 60, or 90 days, if such exists.) I was listed in the New York Times Oct. 31, Sunday edition, in the PA ad. Now, my royalty check was for $27.81. What is that saying for all other PA authors?

Some say that they're not in it for the money. But the money tells how well your book is doing. Money means people are getting your book and reading it. No money means your book isn't going anywhere. No money means your book is not selling. GET IT?

OK, I've said my peace, now I'll go.
You GO Bonnie! I hope you nail them good. Okay, I must also go. Got to get a life and stop being so pathetic....as stated by PA author....I hate being pathetic and I hate that I'm not sure how pathetic is spelt and I hate that I might not have used the sentance Okay, I must....right...I hate being a sour grape...I just hate it...bye all....:hi:

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
KellyS. said:
I was contacted on the little free page that PA gives to authors. I happened to look at my guestbook and there was a message for anyone who read my gb to see. ...

I wonder if this was the guestbook slammer who was discussed in this thread? The jury is still out about the identity of that person. Some people even theorized he might have been a PA booster who was trying to give critics of PA look bad. :(

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Could ya'll please snip your quotes, please? Pleeeeease? :LilLove:

Like AnneMarble. :Hail:

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
I think anyone...

WhisperingBard said:
On the contrary, I think this gives Diana even *more* insight into HB and others like him.
...who was "on the inside" re PA would have some very interesting points/opinions to offer, and I'm glad Diana shared hers with us.

NancyMehl

She Who Resonates...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancymehlbooks.com
Not getting paid...

Bonnie Gibson said:
I am making progress on tracking my sales and the dates that people ordered my book. I will soon have proof that PA cheated me out of royalties.

PA still owes me for books I ordered through Amazon after they told me there were no copies of my book available. The books were ordered in April. So, the 90 day excuse won't hold water. (Several hard cover and several paperback.)

I don't intend to ask them for the money. Why? Because I can prove that PA doesn't pay their authors the money that is due them. I would rather be able to say that - than to have the few measly dollars they owe me. (For those books.) How much they really owe me is something I might never know. They claim I sold "thousands" of books - yet they didn't pay me for "thousands." The real amount due me could be much higher than even I suspect.

PA lies, cheats, and steals. It's a fact. I can prove it. And I will continue to state it publicly. Their decision to rob me of my royalties has given me the ability to expose them for what the really are. Hope the money you kept is worth it, guys!

Nancy

karenranney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenranney.com
Innocence etc.

When I finished my first book, I sent it to an agent I'd read about in Romantic Times, of all places. I didn't know anyone, didn't talk to anyone about my writing, hadn't joined RWA (but won't go into that for the moment). My writing was intrinsically personal, very private.

But for the grace of God I happened upon an honest agent. She worked with me for two years before my books were sold. You talk about a pain - every time I called her to ask about the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd books she was sending around, she'd ask me, "What are you working on? You ARE writing something else, right?" (The female version of Uncle Jim?)

I can't help but remember how utterly innocent I was, and how incredibly lucky I was to have found some good people. It would have been just as easy to have discovered the wolves.

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
Hey, HB, the day that Publish America offers me a 6 figure advance for my next trilogy, enough to beat out the one I got from HarperCollins, I'll go ahead and join you on your PA "pirate ship."

By now you surely know the truth, despite being a master at deluding yourself. The pirate ship PublishAmerica is leaking steadily, shot full of holes. Water is sloshing in her bilges, climbing towards her gunwales. She's headed for Davy Jones's locker, and I think you know it, HB.

So, Mr. Marcus, how much money have you made off your PA books? How many copies sold, total, to people other than yourself and your mom? If you're depending on PA money to provide you with ciggies, good. No one wants you to get lung cancer.

I'll happily compare sales figures with you, HB. You claim my career is over. Want to do some sales comparisons? I will bet you that my new book, due out in August, outsells ALL of your PA sales for ALL of your books in ONE MONTH.

Have you got the stones to take that bet, HB?

Yo ho ho!

-Ann C. Crispin
www.accrispin.com

Last edited:

tab

Dipsomaniac on the floor!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.apocalypsecow.org
Moondancer said:
Where can you get a Ph.D. for $900? I feel robbed because it cost me much more than that per semester for a Master's.:Shrug:

Google "life experience degree." I sympathize. I'm mortgaging my life for a j.d. At least the school is accredited by the A.B.A. :D

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
AC Crispin said:
Hey, HB, the day that Publish America offers me a 6 figure advance for my next trilogy, enough to beat out the one I got from HarperCollins, I'll go ahead and join you on your PA "pirate ship."

By now you surely know the truth, despite being a master at deluding yourself. The pirate ship PublishAmerica is leaking steadily, shot full of holes. Water is sloshing in her bilges, climbing towards her gunwales. She's headed for Davy Jones's locker, and I think you know it, HB.

So, Mr. Marcus, how much money have you made off your PA books? How many copies sold, total, to people other than yourself and your mom? If you're depending on PA money to provide you with ciggies, good. No one wants you to get lung cancer.

I'll happily compare sales figures with you, HB. You claim my career is over. Want to do some sales comparisons? I will bet you that my new book, due out in August, outsells ALL of your PA sales for ALL of your books in ONE MONTH.

Have you got the stones to take that bet, HB?

Yo ho ho!

-Ann C. Crispin
www.accrispin.com

hey, he didn't have the stones to come on here and compare royalty checks with me - I doubt he'll want to compete with you!

:tongue

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Ann, I doubt that HB could even outsell me and most of my books are electronic. At least, it would be a fairer competition even if he's still doomed to defeat since he can't count books he purchases on his own. After all, I don't purchase my own books just to download to my own computer. So, HB, the sales have to be made by direct customer purchases from your publisher's established outlets.

For everyone else contemplating signing with PA, keep this in mind. PA has been in business for over five years and have yet to manage a fiction bestseller through regular market channels. In fact, before you sign, be sure you visit your local book store. Count up how many different PA books are stocked. You'd think that with five years in the business that PA could get more than that in a store, right? Now, how do the odds look for your book should you go with PA? Do you really want to face those kinds of odds?

Dolan

Banned
Reaction score
AC Crispin

Hi, Ms. Crispin, I'm Phil.

Can I, now, tell people that I know Ann C. Crispin?

Oh, please don't take this as trying to be sarcastic. I truly admire people who make a living writing books.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.