The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrix83

Re:travis tea amazon reviews

Is it old news that there is a travis tea posting lots of less-than-stellar reviews of PA books on amazon.com??

DaveKuzminski

Re: Re:travis tea amazon reviews

The only folks that those poor ratings benefit are those operating PA since they don't want to fulfill orders through anything but their own 1-800 ordering system so that they can sell in bulk. For that reason, I suspect that the Amazon slammer is trying to benefit twice from the same action because PA critics are blamed for the slams.

I'll let others reach their own conclusions as to the slammer's true identity.

HapiSofi

Re: I'd like to toss this out here...

Winniemitzandme said:<blockquote><hr>Okay, when PA send one of their authors a release form but has the 'gag order' attached where the author is forbidden to show any part, copy of the release form to any publisher, which not only ties the authors hands from trying to get his/her book placed with a commercial publisher, but this author can't even try to get an agent to read his/her ms.

Now, my question is this. Cannot this be seen as Publish America doing a form of 'blackballing' this author? I think if it were pushed the Courts would be on the authors side and see that PA is using a form of blackballing the authors work.<hr></blockquote>The word is "reversion." And no, it's not blackballing.

I'll say what a lawyer can't: Those supposed "reversion" letters PublishAmerica sends are nothing of the sort. Let me add that in my opinion, they're acts of deliberate sabotage.

The entire point of a reversion letter is that you show it to other people: potential agents, the legal department at your new publishing house, the IRS, outfits looking to option movie rights, et cetera. A reversion letter that contains a non-disclosure agreement is a contradiction in terms. I'd call it a joke, if PublishAmerica's intent weren't so obviously malign.

Why do they do this? To repeat a point I made earlier, Meiners and Clopper and Prather are all failed writers. A proper reversion letter would make it possible for a legitimate publisher to buy a book from an author previously published by PA.

The problem is that no legit publisher has ever wanted to publish a book written by Meiners, or Clopper, or Prather. I believe they bitterly resent this, and would rather sabotage PA's departing authors than see them succeed where they themselves have failed.

No reputable publisher builds NDAs into their reversion letters. I don't even know of any disreputable publishers that do it, aside from PA. There's no point to it. If you let a book go, you let it go.

snarzler

Re: How very interesting: PA rebuttal to Paula Span is dele

I really think its Travis's identical evil twin cousin Madge S.
The spelling and grammar are very similiar. *eerieshudder*

Andrea 0]

JohannaJ7

Re:

www.publishamerica.com/cg.../11638.htm

I have signed up with a few others, however, which appear to be excellent. So far, the best is www.BooksandAuthors.net, run by John Weaver. (no relation to Frank!) Frank's on that one, too. (~$250) I also signed up for the BooksToFilm catalog ($250), and the prwebs press release and promo package (~80). Now, I'm not loaded, I'm charging all this and hoping to make it back in a few years when the sales start rolling in! (fingers crossed!)
Ouch.

AnneMarble

Is it old news that there is a travis tea posting lots of less-than-stellar reviews of PA books on amazon.com??

Doesn't Amazon now have a way of displaying the real names of the authors on reviews? I thought they were doing that for all reviews now. Is there a way the affected authors can make them cough up the info?

keltora

How Interesting. I just popped over to see. I only found 29 PA books listed on Amazon, and looked at the starred reviews and saw nothing of ole Travis doing any such a thing.

Laura J. Underwood (a Little Bit of Travis Tea...)

Zazopolis

He's kind of funny, albeit, lobbing spelling glass houses at people wearing poor grammar stones. "about as limp as they come..."
I find that fitting.

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
Crispy by H. B. Marcus
Edition: Paperback
Price: $19.95
Availability: Usually ships in 24 hours
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp

Doing time , February 7, 2005
Friend of mune came by to vist over the weekend and gave me a bunch of books to read .Being thats all I get to do 23 hours a day and one of the 1st ones I read was this here book called "crispy" I heard a fella one time say"only write what you know about .then the stories you tell will sound true" in one of the english classs they have us take here .This guy should have took that class .Having lived around killers,low lifers,and bums I could tell he has not the story is about as limp as they come not very funny and pretty boring to boot none of these so called tough cops and killers would last a day in my world .also the book is poorly edited and a lot of miss spellings to so if its like here where you hours flow by really slow look at the walss or filp coins your have more fub then reading this here book

keltora

Veddy Interesting Indeed because when I asked Amazon's special search for PA titles, none of those appeared.

OTOH, I don't think The Real Mr. Tea would ever use small case letters were he to stoop to such practices. After all, he did manage to use caps where necessary in his own writing. (and Occasionally where not... *g*)

I suspect the PA Cheerleaders need to look in their own ranks to find this defiler of their precious tomes.

Laura J. Underwood (a Little Bit of Travis Tea)

James D Macdonald

...I only found 29 PA books listed on Amazon...

That's because you searched for "Publish America" (two words), not "PublishAmerica" (one word).

Guys, I did not have anything whatever to do with posting these false "reviews." They are pure BS; they play directly into Willem, Larry, and Miranda's hands.

keltora

Ah yes, forgot the Combo Version of their company name.

As I said, I suspect its a PA person doing this in the hopes of discrediting the Real Mr. Tea.

Sorry, children, but it won't work.

Laura J. Underwood (a Little Bit of Travis Tea--goes a Long Way to popping your Eye of Argon out...)

underthecity

Guys, I did not have anything whatever to do with posting these false "reviews." They are pure BS; they play directly into Willem, Larry, and Miranda's hands.

Uh, Jim, I'm sure nobody here thought it was you!:b

That is not a problem here.

It will be interesting to see how they debate this on the PA Boards, especially when they discuss who Travis Tea is and start googling his name. Will PA allow Atlanta Nights to be mentioned over there? Or is this what the Three PA Stooges are trying for?

While we're on the subject of Atlanta Nights, would it be all right to open up a thread devoted to just AN, like on the Writing Novels forum? I'm sure people, other than myself, have questions about this innovative piece of literature.

utc

RealityChuck

As I said, I suspect its a PA person doing this in the hopes of discrediting the Real Mr. Tea.
I pity the fool who messes with Mr. Tea.

Ed Williams 3

Let's face it....

...if you go by the grammar and spelling abilities of the Travis Tea imposter, the odds are pretty strong that he or she has some tie to Publish America...

P.S. LOL Reality Check, that's got to be the line of the day...

"Moe-randa, Larry, and Curlem," the New Three Stooges!

vstrauss

I wonder if whoever it is isn't just using Atlanta Nights to get some whacks in at some of PA's more strident cheerleaders.

- Victoria

XThe NavigatorX

Re: The Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

It's been a busy day over at useless-knowledge.com regarding PA. That PA author posted her article about PA here., which resulted in three responses here, here and here.

All four of these articles appear in news searches, mixed in with legit news sources.

AnneMarble

It's been a busy day over at useless-knowledge.com regarding PA. That PA author posted her article about PA here., which resulted in three responses here, here and here.

Hmmm. The way the second response brought politics into the end of the article made me think of a poster I'd seen before, on another board. The style will probably be familiar to many of you as well. :)

James D Macdonald

I was amused, when I followed Ms. True's links, to find that a) PA's big response to the AP article has been removed, leaving only a shadow of itself, and b) whoever wrote that response (Larry?) isn't very good with English:

<BLOCKQUOTE>It is amazing, and very gratifying to our staff, to see so many people's lives effected in such a positive way.</BLOCKQUOTE> [Emphasis mine.]

effect
Function: transitive verb
1 : to cause to come into being
2 a : to bring about often by surmounting obstacles : ACCOMPLISH [effect a settlement of a dispute] b : to put into operation [the duty of the legislature to effect the will of the citizens]
synonym see PERFORM

affect
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Middle English, from affectus, past participle of afficere
: to produce an effect upon: as a : to produce a material influence upon or alteration in [paralysis affected his limbs] b : to act upon (as a person or a person's mind or feelings) so as to effect a response : INFLUENCE

Yep, Larry, that should have been "...affected in such a positive way."

Don't you guys have any editors over there?

DaveKuzminski

Larry, maybe that word misuse is just one reason why you weren't published before. Want to send me a copy of your manuscript to review? I promise I won't make it any worse.

bikrpreacher

Re: Yet More Fun with Math

I really enjoyed the useless knowledge articles.
The authors who are getting the reviews by someone claiming to be someone who doesn't exist, well, they could figure it out and have Amazon help, but they either don't know how, or they don't want to know.
I do know how, and personally I would love to know who, so, please, please, fake TT, my book name on Amazon is
"Child of an Alcoholic to Daughter of the King!" come on, make my day, put a review on my book, I'll just let it stay there for a little while, I promise...

RealityChuck

You've been waiting days to say that, haven't you?
To be fair, I got it the same way that Paul Muni survived at the end of "I Was a Fugitive from a Chain Gang."

But I have no shame. :)

bikrpreacher

Re: Please publish this dud

www.publishamerica.com/cg...l/2052.htm

Hi guys howa re you all doing? I received my 2 copies of my book, they are beautiful and I am really excited. I want tto know who exactly do I send my corrections to. Is it [email protected]? I found a lot or mistakes on this last draft copy. Thanks I wait for you all to reply.

Hate to be here when she finds out that those are not draft copies, her book will NOT be corrected, from what I am hearing, they might SAY they will correct it, but they won't.
Interesting that they go on the boards and ask these questions, and how no one ever calls PA. always wondered that, unless she is just wanting everyone to know that there are a lot of mistakes in her book.

bikrpreacher

Re: Re:Yet More Fun with Math

Larry, maybe that word misuse is just one reason why you weren't published before. Want to send me a copy of your manuscript to review? I promise I won't make it any worse.

My goodness, that made me laugh, I shudder to think if I would have sent MY manuscript to any of you over here...talk about a bubble bursting. I might think it's good, but I really think you'd have had to throw it out. I don't see Larry doing that.:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.