Doctor Who (may contain SPOILERS for current episodes)

SpiteLokidottir

Registered
Reaction score
I'm excited, but at the same time I know I'm going to read everything that happens on dreaded Facebook first, because I can only get it on iPlayer. :(

I think Capaldi will make a good Doctor. I loved Matt Smith, he was very childish, but I want to return to an old Doctor like how they were before '05

Mikilao

Registered
Reaction score

oh yea I read it. ok yes it is sexist (and a bit racist) but I don't think they are being fair to Rose and Amy. They had Mickey and Rory. Completely surrounded by men no chance to speak to another woman. Now, look at their positions/jobs a temp, kissing gram girl, department store clerk and one doctor. 3 dumb expendable jobs and one great job given to the one woman of color. She was probably written to be a hairdresser at first but they didn't want to start an argument. Those women never stood a chance.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I read that the other way around. That RTD was less sexist in his treatment of female characters. Did I read it wrong?

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Peter Capaldi's alma mater, the Charles Rennie Mackintosh-designed Glasgow School of Art, suffered a catastrophic fire last month.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-27904400

Capaldi and actor Brad Pitt are leading fundraising efforts to restore the Art Nouveau landmark building.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-28871058

The new credits are (with permission) based on this fan animation of a title sequence for Doctor Who by graphic designer and animator Billy Hanshaw.

Mr. Hanshaw's animation, using an original cover of the theme music for which he had permission, focuses on the time aspect of the show, depicting turning gears in a clock, an infinitely spiraling clock face, and the Seal of Rassilon melting off the Doctor's pocket watch. He loaded it onto Youtube last September.

Doctor Who executive producer Steven Moffat saw the animation, liked it, and arranged with Hanshaw to use the concept for the credits for the new season of the show.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Doctor Who executive producer Steven Moffat saw the animation, liked it, and arranged with Hanshaw to use the concept for the credits for the new season of the show.

That's just wonderful! Love the sequence, but love the story behind it even more.

The first ep is being broadcast in Australia at 5 a.m. on Sunday (as it goes to air in the UK). Fortunately, there's a repeat on Sunday evening. But the ABC, bless 'em, will make it available throughout the day on iView, so I'm looking forward to watching Doctor Who over breakfast.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! I love that!

I can't wait! Haven't been this excited about Doctor Who for years!

There was an article in the Mirror earlier this week, which really just makes it rumour, that Jenna Coleman will be leaving at Christmas.
*crosses fingers that it's true*

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! I love that!

I can't wait! Haven't been this excited about Doctor Who for years!

There was an article in the Mirror earlier this week, which really just makes it rumour, that Jenna Coleman will be leaving at Christmas.
*crosses fingers that it's true*
Which would make sense, keep her long enough to give some continuity, and to give the viewers a chance to see the new Doctor through the eyes of someone they're used to.
Then give her a big send-off in the Christmas special.

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
Which would make sense, keep her long enough to give some continuity, and to give the viewers a chance to see the new Doctor through the eyes of someone they're used to.
Then give her a big send-off in the Christmas special.

Which will guarantee huge Christmas ratings because people will be wanting to see who the new companion is, and how she leaves. Because the Doctor Who Christmas special is a major event.

V.J. Allison

Sunny with a Side of Evilness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
We have just under 8 hours to wait here in Canada. It's on at 8 p.m. Eastern time on Space (our sci-fi/fantasy channel), or 9 p.m. Atlantic, which is my time zone.

I saw the fan made intro sequence, it is awesome! Very well done, and ultra creative. :D

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Spoiler:

They have to get rid of Moffat. That was a extra long episode of his usual bollocks. Really bad.

And I feel sorry for Capaldi. He's wanted to be the Doctor since he was a kid and he ends up with this load of old shite.

And memo to Moffat: rubbing our faces in the fact that you are recycling old plots is not big and it's not clever. Just childish and annoying.

Please BBC. Sack him before you lose us completely.

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I loved it.

At least I understood what was going on, which I haven't for the past two seasons. Even Clara was bearable.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
But none of it made any sense. It didn't go anywhere. An old plot ripped off RTD, an overly dramatic and predictable denoument and yet another overreaching arc that has nothing to do with anything and has all the makings of yet another Mary Sue.

Moffat is a bad writer and I really wish they would sack him

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
But none of it made any sense. It didn't go anywhere. An old plot ripped off RTD, an overly dramatic and predictable denoument and yet another overreaching arc that has nothing to do with anything and has all the makings of yet another Mary Sue.

Moffat is a bad writer and I really wish they would sack him

Meh. Maybe I'm just simple-minded and easily pleased.
I don't think he wrote that episode anyway.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I've been looking forward to the return of Mme. Vastra and company since the previews began airing, but from what I've seen on my Twitter feed it seems that viewers have been unimpressed by something to do with Jenny. Please tell me they didn't turn her into some sort of pandering, fawning ditz.

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
I've been looking forward to the return of Mme. Vastra and company since the previews began airing, but from what I've seen on my Twitter feed it seems that viewers have been unimpressed by something to do with Jenny. Please tell me they didn't turn her into some sort of pandering, fawning ditz.

Not that I noticed
But I think some people are never going to be happy whatever Moffatt does or doesn't do.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Here we go:

Story titles and authors confirmed...

Deep Breath by Steven Moffat

Into the Dalek by Phil Ford and Steven Moffat

Robot of Sherwood by Mark Gatiss

Listen by Steven Moffat

Time Heist by Stephen Thompson and Steven Moffat

The Caretaker by Gareth Roberts and Steven Moffat

Kill the Moon by Peter Harness

Mummy on the Orient Express (first part?) by Jamie Matheson

Flatline (second part?) by Jamie Matheson

In the Forest of the Night by Frank Cottrell Boyce

Dark Water (first part?) by Steven Moffat

Death in Heaven (second part?) by Steven Moffat

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
Here we go:

Story titles and authors confirmed...

Deep Breath by Steven Moffat

Into the Dalek by Phil Ford and Steven Moffat

Robot of Sherwood by Mark Gatiss

Listen by Steven Moffat

Time Heist by Stephen Thompson and Steven Moffat

The Caretaker by Gareth Roberts and Steven Moffat

Kill the Moon by Peter Harness

Mummy on the Orient Express (first part?) by Jamie Matheson

Flatline (second part?) by Jamie Matheson

In the Forest of the Night by Frank Cottrell Boyce

Dark Water (first part?) by Steven Moffat

Death in Heaven (second part?) by Steven Moffat

Ah right. Thanks. I could've sworn I saw someone else's name credited with tonight's episode somewhere.