Made up terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagrami

stuck in the middle
Registered
Reaction score
Fantasy/Scifi often involves a lot of world building. And where there's world building, there's going to be novel objects/jobs/abilities that come along with the territory.

These, of course, need names. It is possible to name them after real-life equivalents, or to make up totally new ones instead. New terms can also be created for use as insults and the like in characters' speech. But then again, it is easily possible to write an entire fantasy story without using any original terminology.

I was just wondering how many original terms people put into their books, if any at all. If you do (or just as a reader), how many, would you say, is too many?

I can't help but feel my WIP's glossary is growing wildly out of control!

jdwhitelaw

Gone Drinkin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jdwhitelaw.blogspot.com
I think this is all a matter of what the author feels is right. Whether it be a matter of small, select few inclusions of original work or a complete glossary.

Personally I used to have the attitude that everything had to be origional, especially when I first started writing in my late teens. Call it teenage rebellion or youthful enthusiasm but in my most recent work I think I've found a balance.

I'm still of the mind that I create and name my own creatures as the idea of J.K Rowling becoming a multi-millionaire by including almost every known creature in mythology in her work like a savage slanderous circus is something I never wanted to do. But then again, there are only so many original names you can come up for something that is, say, a giant spider.

This is something I've been meaning to ask for a while, will be great to see the responses.

Andrea_James

Registered
Reaction score
Anthony Burgess pulled off writing A Clockwork Orange with about ten percent of the words semi-invented. I didn't understand the novel until I found out that most of his words are Russian-derived and I could use a Russian/English dictionary to work out what he meant, but other people said they eventually got almost all of the neologisms from context. It depends how well you're able to insinuate meanings via subtle cues. Definitely don't do too much word creation if you're a fan of the definition dump.

little_e

Trust: that most precious coin.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still of the mind that I create and name my own creatures as the idea of J.K Rowling becoming a multi-millionaire by including almost every known creature in mythology in her work like a savage slanderous circus is something I never wanted to do.
There's no virtue to being poor. Personally, I'd happily distribute photocopies of my butt if it would make me a multi-millionaire.

But it wouldn't; I'm not following in Rowling's footsteps because I'm not Rowling and it wouldn't work.

As for the question itself, obviously it depends on the work and the world. Heck, even if you were setting the story in the real world, almost any culture other than your readers' would have unfamiliar words for things--a story set in China will reference different foods, clothes, plants, holidays, customs, etc., from one set in Pakistan or Africa. These give a story life and vigor, but if over-used, can just be silly. (EG, a pot is just a pot, no matter where we are.)

Vomaxx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andiriel.blogspot.com
I would say that invented terms ought to be kept to a minimum because they will tend to annoy readers. Very few people want to consult a glossary. The invented terms we do use should be ones that are used so often that readers will have no trouble recalling their meaning.

BillPatt

Banned
Reaction score
I would say that invented terms ought to be kept to a minimum because they will tend to annoy readers.

Hear, hear! I finished reading a novel set in the future where the F-word was replaced by 'Joining'. And doncha know, it was joining this and joining that, and I got totally annoyed about halfway through. Remember how the Smurfs did the same thing? About halfway through any cartoon, I was about to smurf up.

Keep the neologisms to a minimum, I say. I've read some highly touted fantasy that read like slogging through a swamp, there were so many linguistic oddities. Then again, if you're positing a world where the dinosaurs never died out (Harry Harrison), then you will need new words. Look at Dune - it had to have a glossary, and it was massively famous. Then again, Stranger in a Strange Land got away with just a single neologism - "grok" - that was so integral to the work, you still hear regular folks use it in conversation.

Just don't goof around with words to relieve yourself of creating a sense of the different in your work. Just joining don't, smurf, or smurfette.

Stormhawk

Angry Bunny Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.requirecookie.com
I do UF and I'm very careful about the number of made up words I use. As much as possible, I try and reserve the made-up words for names and occasionally foods/places.

So I have people who can teleport (but call it shifting/fading) and conjure stuff (require), so that gives people a nice safe grounding.

I'll have people eating in the fae equivalent of McDonalds munching on burgers and fries (though they may be llama or imitation-unicorn burgers), but include a dish or two that has a made-up name (like brikni or aole), and just casually drop it into the conversation as it's being eaten, but because you've started with burgers, the readers are less put-out.

Dagrami

stuck in the middle
Registered
Reaction score
These give a story life and vigor, but if over-used, can just be silly. (EG, a pot is just a pot, no matter where we are.)

I'm with you on this - I think it certainly adds to the world to use them, and makes it seem more convincing and immersive.

I am aware that it can go too far. I'm hoping it won't get to the stage where I actually need to include a glossary for anyone to understand what the story's about!

resulka

What does it take?
Registered
Reaction score
As a reader, my opinion on made-up terms has changed dramatically over the years. I still remember fondly flipping through Robert Jordan glossaries, but that was usually after the rest of the book was put aside and I wanted to take a stroll back through the "world" of the book. I think you have to be careful, and I think you have to balance it in a way that makes sense for you and for your reader.

If you're ever in doubt about adding a made-up word, I'd argue against including it. Making the world seem unique is probably better handled by showing common words describing uncommon things.

little_e

Trust: that most precious coin.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with you on this - I think it certainly adds to the world to use them, and makes it seem more convincing and immersive.

I am aware that it can go too far. I'm hoping it won't get to the stage where I actually need to include a glossary for anyone to understand what the story's about!
I minored in anthropology, so I may have a little more tolerance for this than some :) But in general, if it's obvious from context, you're probably pretty good. I figure it's the sort of thing you can always change later if you want to, so I wouldn't stress too much either way.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
I think a few made up terms for things that do not exist in the real world can work, but it's usually best to use conjunctions of real words that together are evocative. That way the reader has some idea of what you are talking about or at least a hint before the new term is explained.

For this may I recommend the classic Old English (and other Germanic) device called the kenning. A kenning is two words together that evoke an aspect or concept of what you are talking about. For example, the term whale-road was used to talk about the sea. Centuries later Kipling used the term widow-maker for the sea in imitation of kennings.

These kinds of names have been used as evocative descriptions for gods as well. Two of Odin's titles are All-Father and Val-Father (father of the slain).

Status
Not open for further replies.