Are you afraid to SYW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBI

Banned
Reaction score
I've posted, and now I am really afraid. Not just because no one will like my work, but because I will end up making my work likable.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I've tried it, and my work improved about 1000%.

Honestly. My work needed to be improved. I posted it, and some real pro's came and said, basically, "Here's what's wrong, and here's how to fix it."

What more could you want?

Now I crit, when I have time. I seek out writing that hasn't gotten a ton of responses, because when a lot of people have responded, all my comments have already been said and at least one person who has responded has done so in a way far superior to anything I could have come up with.

I'll be posting in SYW again when I have something worth posting. :D

Until then, I'll be critting, but in the nicest way possible.

It may be a little scary, but it's fantastically useful!

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Heck yeah, scared phoo-less. I've had my work e-pubbed, read by strangers, I even get fan mail.

But to be seen by my peers and friends? *shudder* Too scary, man.

Way too scary. Like suddenly realizing I'm standing in front of class, nekkid.

dmytryp

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.webpage4u.co.il
It's a cold, dark, scary place with vultures and spiders and small flesh-eating insects.

;)

You forgot preyer and brer
icon10.gif

davids

Banned
Reaction score
I am really trying to be serious so please bear with me alright! I have no fear whatsoever-I do not post anything-well almost never-I write shit-am proud of it-whatever it takes to make a damned buck-actually I did post one thing and people really seemed to like it-most unsettling to be sure-so who gives a shit really-if it helps ya to post what the hell-I lurk and read some of the silliest crits-that is fun-serious make your writing better and perfecterer shit-that is great but hell-when it comes down to it if you can figure out what sells then no problem-if you wanna go for the literarty stuff good on ya mateys-the food line is right around the corner down there bout a half a mile. I will admit to writing something now that is so far away from anything I have ever considered that it does corncernipate me-but I aint postin it in the open-just a big chicken shit that's me-luv Dave

wee

just a little
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, terrified. I posted some an hour ago & I'm still quaking with fear. But I figure, if someone even finds it worthwhile enough to critique it, then perhaps I can proceed with some faint hope of someday being a good writer. A great writer, even!

wee

omigosh, it's been twelve minutes. no comments yet. is anyone going to crit it? Is it too stupid to crit? omigosh, is ...

shut up, inner voice! Go write another chapter!

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Bit tingly, but it's worth it. I'm probably more scared of critting, cos who the hell am I to say? I try and stick to genres that I like and understand - I'm not going to do poetry, unless specifically asked. But I am going to commit to doing more, especially for people whose work isn't being critted much.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've tried it, and my work improved about 1000%.

Honestly. My work needed to be improved. I posted it, and some real pro's came and said, basically, "Here's what's wrong, and here's how to fix it."

Exactly the same for me. I posted one first draft after that and said, "Hey, have I got the idea before I go too much further?"

I don't have a problem with my peers telling me something doesn't work. Better here than in the agent's mail.

Last edited:

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
As long as you don't post a first draft, and have done more than run it through spellcheck, DON'T BE!

I hang out in SYW, and I'm not that evil a person. I haven't whacked a ruler a millimeter from a daydreaming kid's knuckles in years.

Sure, SYW can--and has--ripped my stuff to shreds. But 99% of the time, the critters did it nicely, and gave me gobs of reasons why. Thanks in no small part to their help, I finally wrote a kick-butt query and first 3 chapters, which led to requests for full, which led to the reason for those cool purple words at the bottom of my sig. :snoopy:

If you want to improve, then you have to let fellow writers read your work. Better them than half a dozen form rejections from an agent!

[/soapbox]

No better reason than this.

I've posted my work in SYW and have delivered the ocassional critique. If I hadn't posted my piece I would still be writing garbage. I took away some tough lessons, swallowed my pride and went back to learn how to write. I think I've come a ways since then and am half way through my WIP. I always go back to the critiques I have been given to look again through the comments and to ensure I'm not going back to my old lazy ways. I also regularly check the comments delivered on other pieces by some of the regular critters. I continue to learn.

Because of my experiences in SYW (and because my story rocks), I will be published one day.

Don't be afraid to post you work for critique.

JJ

lfraser

Bored and Frantic
Registered
Reaction score
I think there are many ways a writer can improve, and putting your work out there for critique is one. Just think about it -- eventually, someone will have to read your work, whether it is an agent, an editor, a reviewer, or a reader. So somewhere someone will criticize your work some time. If you show it here, you may get the good suggestions on how to improve a piece, and get the motivation to polish it so that it doesn't stink in the hands of a prospective agent or editor.

That's how I look at critiques. It's not easy to detach yourself from your work, but if I want to get published, I have to. I want to look at the work and see how I can improve and polish it to shine. Sometimes just a little nudge is enough to push me. Sometimes it's also good to just throw something out there and see if it works -- if someone says, "Not really, full of holes and inconsistency, etc." then I know I need to keep working on it.

Give SYW a try.

Thanks for that. I suppose what's really stopping me is cowardice. But is it worthwhile to post on SYW before you've finished the work? I'm about halfway through my WIP, although it's threatening to be longer than I'd thought it would be. Judging from the speed at which I write, it will be finished sometime after Chrismas at the earliest.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I've posted three pieces for critique mainly as a baseline sanity check. All were parts of WIPs, but I spent time before I posted on each piece improving them as much as I was able given my current skill set. I wanted to find out where I stood with regard to the craft of writing so I could figure out what I needed to work on as I continued. All the critiques I've received have been very helpful, and the feedback has given me better confidence in what I'm writing.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I have a very low opinion of my work, so yes...I'm very afraid of sharing it. But I also realize that I must get feedback in order to improve it. I am not an island. I need the eyes of others.

MelodyO

Waiting for love on the web
Registered
Reaction score
I don't fear critting so much as profound silence. What if nobody can work up the enthusiasm to even click on the link, never mind comment??? ::quivers and reaches for vodka at the same time::

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I suppose what's really stopping me is cowardice. But is it worthwhile to post on SYW before you've finished the work? I'm about halfway through my WIP, although it's threatening to be longer than I'd thought it would be. Judging from the speed at which I write, it will be finished sometime after Chrismas at the earliest.
If your WIP is relatively polished - not rough draft, not littered with easily fixed typos or possessing great gaping holes that you're already aware of (not perfect, but not "I just wrote five thousand words in half an hour!") - then I say go ahead and post. SYW isn't restricted to finished works. If you want some feedback now, especially if you're stuck, it can be a great tool.

I had a lot of trouble with the query for one of my WIPs and got some great feedback. I finally hit on one I liked, but its tone didn't match my WIP. The WIP is now being rewritten. I liked the query that much.

Ray, flesh-eating insects? Can we get an exterminator in there?

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
The first time I posted a story in SYW (come to think of it, it's the only story I've posted there for critting), I was terrified. Utterly terrified. Twitching fingers, aching stomach. The same way I used to get right before a big school presentation. But I received some great feedback, helpful hints, and (most important for me at that time) validation from perfect strangers that my writing didn't suck eggs.

I don't crit as often as I'd like. It's mostly because of time, partly because I never seem to see pieces before they already have 5-6 crits. By that time, someone has already noted what I would have noted.

SYW no longer intimidates me. Don't let it intimidate you, either. ;)

sanssouci

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't posted anything in SYW yet but once I have a chapter that's revised and ready I'll definitely give it a go!

People here a so nice, and give such helpful comments. There's this one girl, in my creative writing class, who hates my guts and basically just bashes me, personally, in all of her critiques of my work. SYW is like butterfly kisses in comparison.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I've lost track of what I've posted in SYW. Six? Eight? Maybe ten times? In any event, there's no reason to be afraid of SYW. It's there to help.

62eaf4ba.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.