Not open for further replies.

ladyvincenza

user-set title
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahtrachtenberg.com
Hi guys,
I know MAD is looking for freelancers, and I would love to get in, but there is no specific contact to query; just "[email protected]" or something like that. I tried calling and emailing when just sending a submission to that generic address got no response; no doubt it wound up in the slush pile.
Does anyone know who specifically to query there, or how I can find out? Or is there another way of getting out of the slush? I've been told lots of times to always address a query/submission to someone specific.
Thanks!

ladyvincenza

user-set title
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahtrachtenberg.com
Yes, I realize it's probably very competitive. That's true.
As to getting the right person's name, I've been told that it's in bad form to address "Dear Editor" as this looks like you haven't done your homework.
Suppose I called someone at the magazine and asked for this information. What is she going to do-- tell the editor later, "This woman whose name I don't know had to gall to ask for the editor's name!" And that'll be held against me? How?
Seriously.
This is just the kind of thing I mean by conflicting advice. It feels like everything I do is wrong. You were stupid not to get the editor's name. You were stupid to get the editor's name. Etc. Are people really that fragile, anyway? I wouldn't be. And I don't think I'm a very tough, thick-skinned person, either.

melon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.unclemelon.com
Lady V,

I don't think that its so important to get a name. When I was writing for lampoon, I'd hand out editors names all the time and it never helped anyone (maybe because their stuff wasn't funny?).

I submitted a pretty funny bit to the blind MAD submission thing and never heard back BUT I also submitted the same bit to the blind Yankee Pot Roast submission thing and not only got a name but an offer to collaborate on a future project.

Status
Not open for further replies.