Short Story - Minimal Dialog

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatRiley

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend any well written short stories with limited or no dialog? I've been toying with an idea for a short story about a person who is very much alone. This doesn't leave a lot of opportunity for dialog unless I have her start talking to the plants. (Not that I've completely dispelled that idea!)

I thought it would be interesting to see how other writer's have handled similar situations.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
story

KatRiley said:
Can anyone recommend any well written short stories with limited or no dialog? I've been toying with an idea for a short story about a person who is very much alone. This doesn't leave a lot of opportunity for dialog unless I have her start talking to the plants. (Not that I've completely dispelled that idea!)

I thought it would be interesting to see how other writer's have handled similar situations.

Well, there's always Jack London's "To Build a fire." I believe there's only one line of dialogue at the end, and it's directed at someone who isn't there.

http://london.sonoma.edu/Writings/LostFace/fire.html

mnmamma

Registered
Reaction score
I'm rather partial to "The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeeze", by William Soroyan. Actually, come to think of it, many of his short stories are low in dialogue.

beatkay

Registered
Reaction score
Brokeback Mountain has very little dialogue or even actual scenes. Most of it's narrative exposition. Worth reading if this is your style as well.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Check out Hemingway's "Big Two-Hearted River." The MC says something once, out loud, to a grasshopper.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
River

Silver King said:
Check out Hemingway's "Big Two-Hearted River." The MC says something once, out loud, to a grasshopper.

And in my opinion, this is one of the top American short stories ever written. It's a masterpiece in every possible way.

Justin91

Registered
Reaction score
Silver King said:

Big two hearted River part two as well as many of hemingways shorts had very liyyle or no diologue. I agree with JR that this is one of the best American Shorts ever written.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I read somewhere that Hemingway approached the story like a painting. He was inspired by several artists of his day, in particular Picasso and Matisse, and the entire Expressionism Movement. He was said to have chosen each word as if it would be placed on a canvas, and when viewed, the finished work would represent a single physical whole, much the same as a painting does.

Although some artists who work in other mediums might disagree, Hemingway accomplished more in that story than most paintings can ever hope to symbolize.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
What do you think of stories that have little dialogue and mostly narrative exposition? Do you find it too much telling? Or do you find it lyrical and painterly? What are your thoughts?

I'm thinking of writing a short story without dialogue. Not sure if I can pull it off, but the idea intrigues me. I am wondering what is the criteria of writing such a story? Does the general rule of "show, don't tell" still apply? How do you get away from dialogue? And how would the readers react to such a story?

Last edited:

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
It's a difficult undertaking, maestrowork. I believe few writers can pull it off and keep the story interesting. It usually involves a solitary character, with mostly him and his surroundings presented to the reader. The story will lack important pacing elements, which the missing dialogue won't help to move along, and there's little conflict between characters to build tension.

When it's been done, and done well, there's plenty of internal conflict the MC must deal with, and that helps with the story's appeal. The reader will become intimate with the character early on, for there isn't much else for the reader to hold on to. The key is to make the MC so interesting, so entertaining and fallible, that the reader can't help but continue onward to the story's conclusion.

Hemingway does it so well that you never realize anything’s missing, in particular, spoken words. You become engrossed in the MC’s plight to such an extent that nothing else matters except how things will end for him.

That story has lived inside me for thirty years, through multiple readings. It doesn't get any smaller or larger, but it stays there just the same. It may never leave me until I'm gone, and even then, I'd like to take it with me.

Last edited:

Mike Coombes

Guru
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writers.ktf-design.com
Silver King said:
Although some artists who work in other mediums might disagree, Hemingway accomplished more in that story than most paintings can ever hope to symbolize.

Theoretically any story of 1001 words plus should have any picture beaten hands down. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.