• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Fox Literary Agency (Diana Fox)

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
brightly,

There's no cure for waiting on queries except to try to focus on the next project (I'm giving this advice, but I also stalk my email looking for responses just like everyone else). Agents have busy times like anyone else. They might be working on several deals for current clients, attending conventions/conferences back-to-back, or dealing with the same personal issues everyone else has (family, illness, moving, holidays).

When an agent is busy, queries fall to very low priority status, which is appropriate for the profession - but agonizing for the aspiring writer. Hang in there!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Received a very nice rejection on my year-old full. If anyone's interested in the timeline:

Query: 10/24/08
Full request: 12/28/08
R&R discussed: 4/2/09 (another agent had offered at this time, but I ended up leaving him shortly after)
R&R sent: 7/2/09
Rejection: 7/2/10

Obviously, she's been a lot faster with recent requests. She held on to mine because she liked it but knew it needed more revision, but unfortunately she never figured out how to fix it and so she had to reject it.

Crzywritergrl

The Devil is a selfish twit
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Bethany. I dub thee a saint. You are amazing.

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Sweet fancy Moses, Sage, my head would have exploded by now. I'm sorry it didn't work out after all that waiting.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ack, Sage that sucks so hard. I was hoping she'd have an intern by now to help cut back on waits like these.

:Hug2:

Elizabeth Holloway

Pass the sugar
Registered
Reaction score
Adding my vote to Sage's canonization.

She's had my MS since April. Sooooo, I guess I should dig in for the long haul, then? I'm fine with it. She really seems like a great agent.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
QueryTracker suggests she's been answering queries this weekend from the past week. Just as an update on speed for you guys querying her.

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
I noticed she'd been answering a lot of recent ones. Mine will have been out for three months soon, but since Annarkie waited for about four, I'll have to be patient!

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
After three months with my query, Diana sent me a slightly personalized rejection. She said if I don't find representation for this one, I should consider her for other books. I'm thinking that "don't find representation for this one" bit is more than likely at this point, Diana...

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I just saw this thread. I sent her a query in early Nov 2008. I received a polite rejection late Nov 2008. Then I received another rejection on the last day of 2008...with an apology for being so slow. I giggled. I've never been rejected twice on the same query. I'm betting she was SWAMPED at the time.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
After three months with my query, Diana sent me a slightly personalized rejection. She said if I don't find representation for this one, I should consider her for other books.

I was just going to post to this thread to ask whether the "if you don't find representation for this, consider me for other books in the future" rejection was a form one.

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
I was just going to post to this thread to ask whether the "if you don't find representation for this, consider me for other books in the future" rejection was a form one.

It's not quite form - according to QueryTracker, that line isn't included most of the time.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Form letter

I don't think it's form. It wasn't in my rejection :D Mine said
"I encourage you to continue to submit elsewhere, and I wish you every success in your writing career. Thanks again for thinking of me." But, she sent the rejection on 4th of July and I was really impressed with that. (I e-mailed her the query on 6/22/10)

stefanie_gaither

has on cool socks today.
Registered
Reaction score
So if she's doing more recent queries, should I just consider mine a no? I mean, it's from May sometime and she hasn't answered so...

I wouldn't give up just yet-- agents don't always answer queries in the order they're received in :). I'm also a May querier, and I'm assuming (hoping!) my query's just in a 'maybe' pile that she's yet to revisit. Hopefully the same goes for yours!

Also, Diana has even said (on this thread, I believe) that she often puts queries aside for further consideration-- limiting full requests when she knows she's not going to have time to read them-- as a way to dig herself out when she gets behind.

Hopefully we'll both hear something soon. :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I agree. Either she's still considering it, or she never got it. She is not a non-responder

Annarkie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
brooklynann.blogspot.com
My 1st query to her got lost in cyberspace, but in retrospect I guess that's a good thing 'cuz the word count was too low then.
But she got my 2nd query and requested a full. I'm so glad that I did requery after 3 months. She's my dream agent.

gp101

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I pitched her in person recently. She's very personable and friendly and if she's interested, she asks a lot of fact-finding questions. I was extremely glad I got a chance to pitch her my story. Not just that she reps my genre, she seems to take quite a serious interest and I think she would definitely work her tail off for you.

Queried her a couple weeks back. Keeping fingers and toes crossed.

JustLaurie

Too young to care
Registered
Reaction score
If this helps anyone waiting, I queried her in Feburary and got a full request yesterday.