Ghostwriting someone's story--what to charge?

CAWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to work with a couple that wants their story written. I'm not even going to worry about tackling the getting it published side of things, just the writing.

I'm thinking about giving them a couple of different pricing packages including writing the whole book from the start vs. writing enough of it to put in a proposal (and doing a book proposal), with the option of writing the rest of the story once (if) it sells.

I'd love input from others who have done something similar, and how you've handled the pricing/payment aspect.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I'd have to know a lot more than said to near accurate. For instance, entirely nonfiction, how many pages or words as the premise, willingness on their part to pay more if more words are required, how available to you will they be, will you be writing part time or full time, what's the schedule, what if they don't like what you produce, do they intend try and get published traditonally or SP or epub, how did they decide you are the one to write this book, what makes you special to ghostwrite their story and more.

Before you begin, iron out every conceivale problem and how each will be solved, know the exact responsibilites for each party, etc, and be sure you have a contract spelling all out, including fee, expenses, & anything else involved -- whether or not the work gets published. If it were me I would want 1/2 the entire fee up-front (guaranteed and non-refundable), 1/4 paid when half done and the balance paid on competion. Once you know exactly what they want, and assuming you agree with same, this should also be incorporated in the contract. And try to get a credit in the book that you can use in the future.

Last edited:

CAWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it's non-fiction. I doubt they have any idea about how many words the story will be; I'm expecting to try to make it a standard-length biography/memoir (75-80K?). I think they will be as accessible as I need/want; we're within a reasonable distance to each other. She mentioned wanting someone who could "come out and pull the story out of us." I know they want to pursue standard publication, but I also know that the type of book they're looking to do is probably going to ultimately need to be self-published unless I can find some universal appeal that makes it a bigger story overall (they do have an avenue for selling books).

I meet with them later this week so I'll know more after that; I'm just trying to go into the meeting with a ballpark/game plan in mind so I don't completely lowball myself (could I get any more cliches into that sentence?)

I did find the link to EFA on another thread; that was helpful.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I doubt they have any idea about how many words the story will be; I'm expecting to try to make it a standard-length biography/memoir (75-80K?). I think they will be as accessible as I need/want; we're within a reasonable distance to each other. She mentioned wanting someone who could "come out and pull the story out of us." I know they want to pursue standard publication, but I also know that the type of book they're looking to do is probably going to ultimately need to be self-published unless I can find some universal appeal that makes it a bigger story overall (they do have an avenue for selling books).

I meet with them later this week so I'll know more after that; I'm just trying to go into the meeting with a ballpark/game plan in mind so I don't completely lowball myself (could I get any more cliches into that sentence?)

I did find the link to EFA on another thread; that was helpful.

I think you shoule sit down with confirm that the book you envision (75,000-80,000 words) is what they would be satisfied with. Also, exactly how accessible they will be, and when.

If you have to "pull" the story out of them you are talking about a huge job, and doing only this will require a lot of your time and their's. And since you don't know if there's a meaingful story that may be desired by a trade publisher it's even more important you get paid a good amount upfront even before "pulling" the story (if there is one) out of them.

As a ghostwriter you have to remember that you work for them. If their concept is to produce a book that they would like to have purchased by a trade house, so be it. You can discuss future publishing attempts with them, during which you can discuss SP, but in the end it their decision.

Assuming your meeting later this week goes well, I think you must decide how much of your time and effort will be required to complete the project. It seems like a lot to me, with no less than one year, full time. What value do you put on one year of your full time? And additional time if needed? Don't forget, the money you receive to do this job will only come from the agreement. Are you thinking of $25,000, $50,000 or more? It's silly for me to tell you what I'd ask for since it's no measure of what you need or want.

Good luck.

GradyHendrix

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I've done this kind of work before and here's what I charge for a fast-and-dirty job - ie, one where I'm doing it for the money and not because I love the subject matter.

To write a proposal (including one chapter of finished manuscript) - $2500

To write the book (money to be paid half on acceptance of book by a publisher, half on delivery of final approved manuscript to publisher) - $10,000 (so in addition to the proposal I made $12,500).

This is about average, give or take $5000.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If there is no publishing deal in the works, you charge whatever will make you happy, and that the couple is willing or able to pay. It's a balance between what your time is worth, and their bank account.

You can't charge more than they can or will pay, and you shouldn't charge less than your time is worth.

You should get half upfront, and half when a satisfactory manuscript is finished.

If there is a publishing deal in the works, your pay should be based on the size of the advance, and whether or not you get a cut of the royalties, and you should receive you pay in chunks, depending on how and when the money is paid out by the publisher.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Having ghost-written many books I'd only write the proposal and the first chapter or two now, and then finish it once a publishing deal was in place. And I'd insist on having a very tight contract signed for my work before I wrote a single word.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Having ghost-written many books I'd only write the proposal and the first chapter or two now, and then finish it once a publishing deal was in place. And I'd insist on having a very tight contract signed for my work before I wrote a single word.

That's a good way to make no money. Very few ghostwritten books will ever land a pubishing deal. Very few. Well under one percent.

You do need a contract with whoever you're writing for before writing word one, but whoever it is will want a book, and will probably need it before that can land a publishing deal, if they ever do, which is unlikely.

When no pubishing deal is in the works, the writer should still get paid for every word written, else he'll never make a dime. You're paid to write the book, so you write the book.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
James, I wasn't clear. I'd expect payment for writing that proposal.

I've ghost-written over twenty books, and they've all been published and have all sold well. I was approached by publishers to write most of them. And a few have even made it to the best-seller lists.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
James, I wasn't clear. I'd expect payment for writing that proposal.

I've ghost-written over twenty books, and they've all been published and have all sold well. I was approached by publishers to write most of them. And a few have even made it to the best-seller lists.

I've also ghost-written a number of books and for what it's worth I completely agree with your approch.

CAWriter

Registered
Reaction score
There isn't a publishing deal in the works (this is a project initiated by the couple, not by a publisher). They are considering self-publishing, and have a large distribution channel not available to most people who want to write their own story. If I thought finding a publisher was a more sure thing, I'd suggest going the proposal route, but the story is so loosely defined at the moment, this is one of those cases where I'd be afraid that the book we propose isn't the book that would be delivered in the end. And because of their own control issues (i.e. her stricken look when I suggested that a publisher *might* want to change her title), I have a feeling that what I get on this end of things may be all I ever get .

My agent is going to contact them to work out the details and will get a contract between us in place. We'll see what happens. There is still the chance they'll back out altogether now that they've had a reality check on the costs and publishing process.

Ulee_Lhea

Fear no darkness.
Registered
Reaction score
If they're self-publishing (and happy with that), it does simplify things.

Writer's Market does a survey every year called "How Much Should I Charge?" They list the low, medium and high end charges of lots of writing services, including ghost writing. They break it down by hourly, per project, per page and per word.

Caveat: I wouldn't take the word of WM over the word of writers you contact who have worked on similar projects, but it really is interesting reading.

Like others have said, getting half the money up front is key. Having an agent is probably a big help! Good luck.

Last edited: