Book Query Letters that Rock: what if you don't have a lot of creds?

ladyvincenza

user-set title
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahtrachtenberg.com
Hi! I am almost done reading Query Letters that Rock by Linda Formichelli and Diana Burrell. While the book has a lot of helpful advice, nearly all the sample queries are by writers that have a lot of creds: many publications to their name, some of them are editors, experts in the field, etc. I can't help but think, "Of course these people got their queries accepted!" But where does that leave people like me who don't have these edges? I'm a nobody with talent and good ideas. What should I ultimately get from this book? Because what I'm hearing is "Give up." Is there anyone else who's read the book and gotten the same message, or someone who hasn't read it and gotten a similar vibe? If so, what can I do, other than aiming really low?
Another thing is that the queries in the book tend to be pretty long, often 2-3 pages. I've been told all this time to keep queries pretty brief. After all, brevity is... wit. What do you think?
Thanks!

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Do not give up! And do not aim low.

I haven't read this book, but I would ask: how old is it? Query formats have fashions, just as everything else. From your description, it seems that this book showcases out-of-date queries, and emphasizes previous publishing credits. Of course, those credits might keep an agent or editor reading a 3 page query. For the rest of us hapless mortals, a 1 page query with around 250 words should give your hook, develop the conflict of the story, tell a little about you, and leave the reader interested.

Harder to do than to say, but it gets easier with practice and examples from other people. Real people.

Mine the book for bits you find useful, and discard the rest without emotional attachment. Same as with Query Letter Hell here on AW.

Good luck!

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
1. This book is 5 years old.
2. This book is for freelancers selling to magazines, not for novelists presenting their work to agents/publishers. I believe the standards are different.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Yep, different universe entirely. I find grants applications and non-fiction markets easier to deal with, simply because the writer has more time to develop a proposal. For a sf&f book that might get me a 5K advance under the old rules of genre publishing, I'd have to sweat over 250 perfect words in a query. For a recent application for a $1500 local arts grant, I had 7 pages of supporting materials.

Just another reminder about self-help books of any species: caveat emptor, and make sure it focuses on what you need!

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, different universe entirely. I find grants applications and non-fiction markets easier to deal with, simply because the writer has more time to develop a proposal. For a sf&f book that might get me a 5K advance under the old rules of genre publishing, I'd have to sweat over 250 perfect words in a query. For a recent application for a $1500 local arts grant, I had 7 pages of supporting materials.

Just another reminder about self-help books of any species: caveat emptor, and make sure it focuses on what you need!

As this is in freelance, she's obviously not referencing the book in regards to fiction.

I won't go into what I got out of the book since Lady V has made it clear that she does not have an interest in my opinion, but I thought I'd chime in and let you know that you were possibly on the wrong mental track. :)

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read the book or any other "how to write" books, and haven't received any negative vibes as you put it. The fact is simply that there are many writers with great article ideas out there and that it's all about what sells. Is your article idea that interesting that it's worth $xxx.-? Your query is your sales pitch. I seem to remember seeing a query of yours in SYW or somewhere here and thought you received some really excellent feedback on how to make it more concise and interesting.
It's all a matter of practice so I'd encourage you to post more sample queries for feedback and take the advice to heart because your query will have only one single chance with the editors you send it to. I believe you can learn more from the feedback of fellow writers than by reading "how to" books.
All in all, it's a line of work that calls for thick skin as well as acceptance of criticism.

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
The first article I ever sold was to Writer's Digest magazine (years ago). You'd think they would be the one magazine that wants experienced writers, but I had no credits to my name when I queried them. I did have a good query and an interesting article idea. They loved it and took it. They didn't ask "but who are you"? When I had just a few published pieces, I set up a website. I can't tell you how important a website is. I've landed plenty of assignments because the editor took a look at my website/clips and was impressed.

All that said, I read "Query Letters That Rock" and used one of the examples there to land an assignment with Marie Claire magazine. So don't dismiss the book. Just work on building your portfolio. Set up a website and post clips in there so you can then include a link in your queries. Don't have any clips? Work on that. Publish a couple of pieces in small magazines or create a couple of sample pieces and use those to showcase your talent.

ladyvincenza

user-set title
Registered
Reaction score
Website
@Kitty: yeah, I'm trying to query magazines. I have books to query, too, but that's a different ballgame, just like you said.
@New Kid: While I do have published articles, most are not that impressive (in terms of where they were published). As near as I can tell, I need to "aim low" to build a bigger portfolio, which I'd rather not do.
My point is that if people with lots of experience and credibility are landing magazine assignments, that's great, but where does that leave me, as I don't have those things? I feel like the book wasn't helpful in regard to struggling writers like me, but ones who are already well-established.
Thanks for your feedback, everyone.

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
As near as I can tell, I need to "aim low" to build a bigger portfolio, which I'd rather not do.
My point is that if people with lots of experience and credibility are landing magazine assignments, that's great, but where does that leave me, as I don't have those things? I feel like the book wasn't helpful in regard to struggling writers like me, but ones who are already well-established.

You don't "need" to aim low - if you have an amazing article idea that is a perfect fit for a higher paying magazine, you might be still get lucky. The second magazine article I placed paid just under $700.- (it included pictures) and the magazine later asked for another article.
The most important thing is that you've got a really riveting topic and write about it from exactly the angle and in the style that fits the specific magazine perfectly. That's the art of not only querying but coming up with ideas in the first place.

Ulee_Lhea

Fear no darkness.
Registered
Reaction score
Aim high. It's as true in the mag and web world as it is in fiction.

Pick five or six markets you want to break into and make sure you always have a query on that editor's desk.

While they may not buy your first query or even your fifth, if you consistently provide them with good ideas, many editors will start to take notice.

Every freelancer whose byline appears in the glossy national mags was at one time querying with unimpressive credentials.

On the freelance board where I post, I have read many stories of folks getting picked up by Bride's, GH and other biggies for their first big story. It doesn't happen to everyone, but it does happen.

ladyvincenza

user-set title
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yeah, I've aimed high, but except for Ms. magazine (which never accepted any subsequent queries of mine), haven't gotten any. I find this all very discouraging. I've read several books about querying, taken classes, etc. I mean, I'm not totally in the dark...

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
Why not do both? Keep querying the big-name magazines you want to break into, but also query smaller markets at the same time. While it might take some time to break into the big ones, you might in the meantime get some smaller assignments to help you build your portfolio. I'm not saying write for free, just query magazines that pay less or have a smaller circulation. There's no need to pick one end or the other.

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Lady. One thing I urge you to remember while reading this and other how-to books is that experienced writers had to start somewhere. At one point, the authors didn't have experience. Whatever credits you have, use them as examples of your work.
As another writer mentioned, a website/blog is very important for a writer to showcase work and give editors an idea of the kind of writing you do.
I agree with NewKid - continue writing for the smaller markets (which shouldn't be discounted anyway as your getting some experience from them) and query big magazines. You CAN do this. Just have a little faith in yourself.
One of the biggest challenges that I find face beginning writers is the comparison factor - am I as good as this writer? Can I write like this too? I should know - I ask myself these questions too.
What I figured out is that yes, there are great writers out there, but that doesn't take away from my great writing.
You can also query trade magazines - Big $$ and very focused. I say go for it mama. Just believe in yourself. :)

spacekadet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.monicashaw.com
Great thread. I totally agree with what NewKidOldKid suggests: spread out your queries across a range of pubs, from big national papers/magazines to smaller pubs.

I had my first publication in The Daily Telegraph with no writing clips, just a good idea. Now, I DID set up a website for myself to include with my email, which included samples of various copywriting and training manuals I'd written at various jobs... I do think this was a huge help because it looked professional and portrayed to the editor that I'm a writer who takes myself seriously.

Of course, it was the IDEA that really got me the gig.

After that, came more commissions, usually from smaller pubs but sometimes the odd golden ticket. And the more I pursue this, the more golden tickets I score. Of course, I'm still getting loads of rejections but that's par for the course. Sometimes I think that freelance writing just comes down to simple mathematics: the more ideas you pitch, the more articles you get commissioned to write. They are directly proportional. So just keep at it; aim high, but also look for those lesser paying gigs that will help you establish a portfolio (and give you a little morale boost by accepting one of your ideas!).

BTW, I wrote about this topic a while back...

Getting published without writing clips

Hope this helps. :) Good luck!

Monica

ladyvincenza

user-set title
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, everyone:)
@skyraven: yes, I'm pretty much querying (or trying to) different size magazines. I have a lot of interests, so that works out.
I tried sending letters of interest to trade mags, but got nowhere. I don't have the creds for trade magazines, as far as I can tell. See, it's back to not having the creds again...

Last edited:

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If you don't have credits, then make the rest of the query irresistible. If you have experience/background in whatever it is you are writing about, mention that, otherwise grab their interest with your subject & presentation of it in your query.

Cleopatra Jones

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Lady V- Keep in mind that it's a tough, tough market right now with all the layoffs that happened in 2009 and 2010, and even some experienced writers are finding it harder than usual to get work.

Personally, I LOVE Queries that Rock and use it as a model for my queries. yes, those queries are on the lengthy side, but I have to say that my long queries are just as likely to be accepted as short ones. As the authors say at some point: if the editor likes the idea, she's not going to stop reading.

Just keep slogging away. We've all been there and know how exhausting it is. Just keep churning out stellar queries and eventually someone will bite! And yes, as many people have said, don't be afraid of smaller markets either.