Query letter vs. Cover letter

stargazer11

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I know what a query letter is and whats supposed to be in it, but when an agent says, please submit a cover letter with a synopsis, what information does a cover letter need to have?

Very few agents actually say, send a cover compared to a query.

Thanks...

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I'm guessing that means you would include the book basics (title, genre, wordcount, etc.), your bio, and probably an elevator pitch, plus the synopsis.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will show up.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
In America, query letters are the norm.

In the UK, cover letters are more usual.

Cover letters go something like this:

Dear Agent

I am seeking representation for my crime novel, The Haunting Of AbsoluteWrite. It's complete at 278,000 words, and I enclose the first three chapters and a synopsis for your consideration.

I've not had full-length works published but I have written a handful of articles for Pet Rabbit Monthly.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks

Aspiring Writer.

Only of course yours would be more interesting and less silly.

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
What Old Hack said. It's just something that briefly explains your story addressed to the agent (or publisher) from yourself.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
What Old Hack said. It's just something that briefly explains your story addressed to the agent (or publisher) from yourself.
Yes. It's never good business practice in any industry to dump a package in the mail without at least a perfunctory explanatory note. "Per our discussion, I'm enclosing the notes for Project X. Sincerely, Joe Blow."

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
In the US, the term cover letter applies to any letter accompanying something else. A query letter is a letter asking a question, "Are you interested in X?" The cover letter goes with all or part of X. Both contain almost the same info.