Ray's House of Love (Volume II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Good point, Cassi. SG, we hope you'll come here when your not feeling either neutral or up, to share the whole package of yourself, not just the good parts.

Geez, if I never came here when I was grouchy or bitter, you guys wouldn't know my name.

Maryn, who received an Oscar the Grouch cookie jar as a wedding gift because it 'fit'
:D You guys are the best. Trust me, as you know, I b*tch and moan plenty here. I'm one of those weird people who, when I'm really down or even really ill, just need that "alone" time. That's how my family can tell I'm upset or sick, I just stay away from everyone, and just sort of hide until I'm feeling better.

My new preferred drink has become flavored waters with no sodium or sugar.
I LOVE those. I still drink diet soda (I'm seriously addicted) but the flavored waters have helped me cut WAY down on my soda consumption.

Cass, I'm making meatloaf tonight. I might try your suggestions. Sounds healthier than the stuff I make. :)
uh oh! Is it already? *blinks* I better decide which one of my WIP's I'm working on. LOL
Write away HOL peeps. I won't be joining in on the February writing madness. Too much madness around me to focus a whole lot on writing.

I am sooooo waiting for social services to show up at my door. You know how my son got hurt in soccer and is on crutches, well, my daughter (not to be out done) fractured her arm and is in a cast now. Two consecutive Sunday's at the ER (same doc), two consecutive Mondays at orthopedics. Oh dear. I am NOT going out in public with both kids, one on crutches, one in a cast. I can't imagine the looks I would get.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
SG I hope you and your family all get better and fast!

So Feb 1 started off like crap. 2 am- the Groove household. Sassy is up with an allergy attack. takes medicine goes back to bed. 3am Sassy checks the clock. 430 am Sassy decides to hell with getting up to write/execise and stays in bed until Mr. Groove has to get up. 5:15 am, Sassy checks the clock. 5:20 am the alarm sounds and is on static radio instead of beeping. Sassy hits snooze and hugs Mr. Groove. 5:29 am Sassy panics thinking she turned off alarm instead of hitting snooze. 5:30 alarm beeps. Sassy tells Mr. Groove it is time to get up. They just lay there. 5:35 they drag out of bed. BAH! Sassy's allergies still bothering her she just takes the poor little dog on a short walk in 20 degree weather. Double bah!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You left out the "Humbug!" What a lousy start to the day. It's hard to remind yourself there are probably people who'd love to have that be the way their day started, compared to what's going on with them.

Mr. Maryn surprised me this morning in a pleasant way. He was doing his contacts and announced he needed conditioning solution. I said I'd put it on my list and was shopping Tuesday.

"Not today?"

"I wasn't planning to. Why didn't you tell me you were getting low? I asked you Friday morning if you needed anything. I could have bought it then."

"I didn't notice, I guess. I'll just pick some up on the way home. Don't make a special trip."

Maryn, falling in a dead faint because usually he has no qualms about me and special trips

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Sass, what a terrible way to start the month of February. (((hugs)))

Wow, Maryn. That is amazing. Note the day and time. . .This is one of those rare events in history that should be remembered and recorded. :D

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I made up my mind what book I'm working on. It's my non-fiction work titled

The Truth Is...

It's the book I've known I had to write for five years and I'm finally ready to carry on. It's about my experience and what I've learned from my daughter's arrest until today and about what I've learned that goes against so much of the traditional approaches to addiction and the addict.

I had 1700 words done of the first chapter and I've rewritten it about 8 times over the last three years. Today, I wrote chapter two---1352 words for a total of 3052 words.

I'm going to write every morning this month to see if I can get through the chapters. This is the only book, that I've ever had a detailed outline for.

I've put it off because I thought it would be too painful but it's healing me to write about it.

A while back, I approached a publisher about it, and I was pleased with their response that indeed they would like to have a look at it when I'm done. I'm thinking though, if I'm serious about getting this published, I'm going to need an agent and I'm going to target many publishers.

Kim, feeling like the world slipped into place today as she reconnected with her life, something she's been avoiding. It was time to slow down.

P.S. Thank you Fizzy, I'm forever in your debt.

Last edited:

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Oh for heck sake. I have to post about this. You guys, you know how I've been going gluten free? Well, I do feel a lot better but lately, I've really struggled with my blood sugars. And it's odd because I don't usually experience so many lows. I mean, yes, I have hypoglycemic reactions and border on hypoglycemia all the time but I just found something out.

Xanthan gum which is widely used in gluten free products as a binding agent or thickening agent, well guess what it does? It lowers your blood sugar. No wonder I've been dragging my butt around the house and trying to figure how come I'm always battling with the shakes and headaches.

Sometimes, I just wonder if I'm not better off staying completely away from breads and crackers, even the gluten free one.

ETA: Oh and erm...this is just annoying. Xanthan gum is ALSO a laxative.

Last edited:

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Story, sorry to hear about the second broken bone.
Cass,I'm glad to hear the book is healing you. You have my sympathy about the low sugar reaction. I know they're not pretty.
Neuro, if you haven't replaced your cookware by spring you might want to consider estate sales. You'd probably be more likely to find well cared for quality ware there than at the average yard sale. It would probably cost noticeably more at the estate sale, however.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think I am going to aim for 25,000 on my nano novel- which even though I wrote 50000 isn't near done.

Cassi- maybe you just have to bake your own. I know that's not easy all the time.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
I think I am going to aim for 25,000 on my nano novel- which even though I wrote 50000 isn't near done.

Cassi- maybe you just have to bake your own. I know that's not easy all the time.
Even with baking my own gluten free bread you have to use Xanthan Gum to take the place of gluten.

It's really not that big of a deal to give up bread altogether. There was a time when I never touched it. For about five years and I managed to get to my lowest weight in a long time without it and felt better. I just never made the connection.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Cass, the book you are writing sounds amazing and I'm glad it's helping you to reconnect with your life. Sorry about the low blood sugar. And I know I should stay away from bread, but I do not have your strength. I could practically live off bread. I love it. . .It does not love me.

I will be super happy if I can just finish my WIP this month. I think it'll take between 10 and 15k. I know that's a low goal, but considering how it has been a real struggle for me to get a couple hundred words on the page over the span of the last week, I will be pleased if I can manage that. Hubby is in the field for the next few days, so I can hopefully get a big jump start on it.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Baked a triple batch of chocolate chip-less chocolate chip cookies last night. I had trouble getting to sleep due to the sugar high since I had to road test at least one from each baking sheet. No hangover, though. I'm taking most of the cookies in to the students in my class--their first exam is today. And I discovered a secret technique in the baking. If I make them thin, the edges get a little crisp, which caramelizes the sugar/brown sugar mixture a little. It really makes the flavor pop.

Rich, who still feathered the scale at 204 this morning.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
how do you make chocolate chipless chocolate chip cookies? Is it just the dough with out the chips? Aren't they then sugar cookies with brown sugar? Sass- intrigued.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Basically, that's it, Sass. With equal amounts of brown and regular sugar, they have a very different and pleasant flavor. The best way to do it is to buy the chips and eat them by the handfull while cooking the dough.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rich, tell me again why you don't weigh in at 300 pounds? This is so not fair. I haven't had a cookie in, like, forever. (Okay, about six weeks.)

I'm off to a real fast start on my FebruaryNaNo goal. Of course, I'm doing a rewrite so I get to import chunks from the previous version. It won't last once I approach the sucktacular middle.

Maryn, bidding you all a good morning, except it's after noon

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rich, tell me again why you don't weigh in at 300 pounds? This is so not fair. I haven't had a cookie in, like, forever. (Okay, about six weeks.)
It's why I exercise--so I can enjoy eating. Thanks also to my Mom for passing on her speedy metabolism.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Clearly I got the wrong mom. Well, in some ways, although overall things seem to have worked out.

Maryn, not Fizzy's sister

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
I started my W.I.P today and scored 348 words. I've set the goal of one page a day.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent. I hope I can get everybody who's set a February goal to report daily here.

I'm making huge strides, but hey, its only the second.

Maryn, cold all day despite slippers

Status
Not open for further replies.