Reaction score

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
See that I got the first post at the top of a new page. Some accomplishment, huh?

I'm back from writing group. If we hadn't already agreed not to disband, I'd propose it again. I'm the only one writing, and outside our genre in common. One member just uses it as a whining session, and while all our lives have ups and downs and good reasons for whining sometimes, it seems like that's all she does any more. One member is so busy with work that she struggles to find more than an hour or two a week for writing or critique. We tried adding reading in our common genre, but after three books, that fizzled.

I still enjoy the meetings overall, I guess, but I don't benefit from them any more.

Maryn, having a white peach from Georgia, yum

Russ Mars

Interesting little planet you've got here.
Registered
Reaction score
She usually gets up at 5 am and stuffs all the washed clothes into a 7kg capacity clothes dryer...
Jywile, your use of 'kg,' makes me wonder a bit if you are in Canada, the U.K....or just about any metricated country. Granted, that's now most of the rest of the world, but given your avatar, I lean toward thinking the U.K., or...?

That's got me to thinking what a dismal failure it's been to attempt to metricate the U.S. over the past few decades. Now the mixed use of systems has made things an even bigger mess.

Wye Pen

Banned
Reaction score
Jywile, your use of 'kg,' makes me wonder a bit if you are in Canada, the U.K....or just about any metricated country. Granted, that's now most of the rest of the world, but given your avatar, I lean toward thinking the U.K., or...?

That's got me to thinking what a dismal failure it's been to attempt to metricate the U.S. over the past few decades. Now the mixed use of systems has made things an even bigger mess.

Hi Russ,

[FONT=&quot]Mars immediately comes to mind. It was awash with water, we've got the evidence for that. What we haven't got the evidence for is where and how that water disappeared and what made it go (or whether it supported life).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Contractor Lockheed Martin Astronautics in Denver, Colorado built the Mars Climate Orbiter. Their team of engineers used the English system of units. But the mission navigation team at NASAs Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, used the International system of units. Mars Orbiter was launched by NASA from Space Launch Complex at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]125 million dollars Mars Orbiter travelled 286 days, 669,487,104 kilometres long journey with a dormant error. As the spacecraft went into orbital insertion, its periapsis was only 57 km. It crashed and burned.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I am really carried away reading about this engineering mishap. [/FONT]

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I get frustrated with the US's refusal to adopt the standards of the scientific and engineering world, and the potential for failure which looms large because of it.

When our son left home, Mr. Maryn bought him a starter set of tools, low- to medium-quality screwdrivers, a hammer, like that. When he was choosing wrenches, he remarked that he never thought he'd be buying another two sets, one metric and one US, not in the New Millennium. (Hot damn, I spelled that right first try!) "This should have changed over before he was even born."

Maryn, whose daughter also got tools

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
The U.S. is one of only three countries on the planet to not yet adhere to an international standard, and it's the ONLY industrialized nation that doesn't. How typical of American arrogance.

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Let me haul out my winter shoes, because I've got some old combat boots with a steel toe.

So I took a half-day off things involving eye work. The dry eye that was so bad this morning is much better, but since I woke up with it, my eye doctor's theory that it's all that time on the computer or reading is total BS.

Maryn, sleep reader

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did anybody see my book since we got home? I can't find it, and the place I thought it had to be, it isn't. I hope I didn't leave it in Maine. The library will be unhappy.

Maryn, who was all set to read until dinner

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Perdido Street Station. Great read, so far. I think I'm near the half-way mark.

It's relatively current, so if I can't find their copy, I'll offer to replace it and buy one for myself.

Maryn, making the grocery list

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ben! We recognized you right away, although it wouldn't be ladylike to say how.

Maryn, pleased to see you

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, people.

The heat has reached my part of the country. Damn it, you southerners know you're supposed to keep it down there, as the price you pay for your winters.

What's new? Well, some HOL friends have drifted away, but we have some newer people who are a delight. The thread isn't as active as it once was, but it's still a nice stop I make daily, often several times. Sassy rode a camel recently. NeuroFizz camped for a week with his son and other scouts. I went to Maine and decided I could get used to living in a mansion. Russ, who you haven't met yet, is wild about Pandora, who's in Bangkok. Trevor recently crossed the US to see family. Komnena still adores horses and thinks some people are also okay. Ah, who am I leaving out?

Maryn, who was buzzed when the avatar photo was taken*

*That's the only time I cooperate for the camera

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
WHat have you been up to? I haven't been posting as much as I used to for the last year or so, becuase I have had some health troubles and have been fatigued, but I am starting to feel better. My butt is sore from where Maryn kicked it yesterday- I haven't been writing much either.

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
Russ, who you haven't met yet, is wild about Pandora, who's in Bangkok.
Whoa, let's set the record straight. I met Ben back in April (2011), on my first day as a virgin, frightened towel boy in the HOL when, I assume in an attempt to comfort me, he assured me that within a week, this would all seem normal. I'm happy to say that NONE of this now seems normal, since I detest normalcy...as if I have any clue as to what's normal or believe in it any more than I do the Tooth Fairy.

It is true, though, that I'm wild about Pandora, but that's only to put it mildly. :LilLove:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.