Not open for further replies.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Carole's alive! Hi there. Whatcha been up to?

Maryn, ready to pester you with questions

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, guys! I'm just checking in; I haven't been around too much lately. I've popped into the Movies/TV forum occasionally, but that's about it.

I just saw the thread about CactusWendy; I was so sorry to hear it. I didn't see it until it was already locked, so I didn't get to add my condolences, but she'll be greatly missed.

How is everyone? I'll be going back and checking what I've missed, but are there any highlights I need? I hope you're all doing well, and I'll try to not be so lazy with my internet usage. :)

Russ Mars

Interesting little planet you've got here.
Registered
Reaction score
We're doing Weeds together, and I'm doing My So-Called Life and Rescue Me without him.
Rescue Me was one of my fairly recent watching addictions and I've seen every episode. Great show! Few shows can prompt convulsive laughter and tears of compassion and heartbreak simultaneously. This one did all the time, and so irreverently. I was sorry to see it end, but glad that they didn't let it run until it got stale. It's always good to leave 'em wanting more.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Hearing about CactusWendy is honestly what prompted me to come check in. Such sad news.

I've never really felt like I skipped bail at AW, but I guess I did. Life became HUGE! I got into the content writing thing, and it has taken so much of my time for the past couple years. I've earned a good living at it, but it's time to step out and move on before I'm on that hamster wheel forever.

I do have exciting news. I pitched columns to two local newspapers, The Knoxville News Sentinel and Metro Pulse, and both of them bit! Squee! Now the hard part is working with them to design the columns that they want me to have. They liked my ideas, but needed a different format. So we're hammering out the details. I thought the pitch part was scary. This part is terrifying!

I've also got one novel in the works. That's on the back burner, even though it's what I'd rather be working on.

Mr. Vagabond and I have spent a lot of time in Utah over the past couple years, too. I met Cassiopeia and her hubby. Really nice folks. I also finally got to meet Perks just after Christmas this year!

What's been going on in AW land?

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Carole, that's all great news. I couldn't be more pleased for you.

I don't think I have sufficient courage to pitch anything. It takes a certain ballsy-ness that I'm sure I don't have and pretty sure I couldn't fake (unlike not being shy, which I fake fairly well). But scary or not, you did it and it worked!

Utah is gorgeous country. I'm not sure I could ever again live in a desert (I grew up in the Sonoran Desert, southern Arizona) but the drama of it remains stunning. Got a favorite picture to share?

In the major exciting news from my life, I just cleaned the family room, which was seriously overdue. I'm sure everyone reading this is thrilled to bits. It started with clearing the ashes out of the fireplace, but the airborne ones were settling on everything so I had to dust, and from there it just mushroomed. I found a bunch of pens and pencils, enough pieces of popcorn to fill a bowl, a thumbtack, and a shiny dime, which I'm keeping. I failed to find a place to keep all the crap associated with our recent Xbox and TV purchases, which is loosely piled in one corner. Do I know how to decorate, or what?

Maryn, whose life is indeed that exciting

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Carole, that's all great news. I couldn't be more pleased for you.

I don't think I have sufficient courage to pitch anything. It takes a certain ballsy-ness that I'm sure I don't have and pretty sure I couldn't fake (unlike not being shy, which I fake fairly well). But scary or not, you did it and it worked!

Utah is gorgeous country. I'm not sure I could ever again live in a desert (I grew up in the Sonoran Desert, southern Arizona) but the drama of it remains stunning. Got a favorite picture to share?

In the major exciting news from my life, I just cleaned the family room, which was seriously overdue. I'm sure everyone reading this is thrilled to bits. It started with clearing the ashes out of the fireplace, but the airborne ones were settling on everything so I had to dust, and from there it just mushroomed. I found a bunch of pens and pencils, enough pieces of popcorn to fill a bowl, a thumbtack, and a shiny dime, which I'm keeping. I failed to find a place to keep all the crap associated with our recent Xbox and TV purchases, which is loosely piled in one corner. Do I know how to decorate, or what?

Maryn, whose life is indeed that exciting

LOL! My life isn't really exciting. Well, it's more exciting than it used to be, for sure. I am able to travel with Mr. Vagabond now. He's still in the tower industry, but no longer climbing. Now he's a project manager over a crew of radio techs for AT&T and T-Mobil. Kinda cool. He gets to go everywhere, and I can tag along whenever I want. Right now, we're just outside Boston. I'll be heading home in a couple weeks, and heading into a cleaning party of my very own. It's my old office, so who knows what I will find.

As for photos, I threw together an album just now. I've got too m any pictures to pick just one or two. It was hard just whittling it down to the ones in the album! Most of them were taken in Utah, either in Moab or in some of the forests throughout the state. A couple of them might have been taken in Nevada or Montana. Not sure. It's a blur sometimes. :D

Carole's Adventures with Mr. Vagabond

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I loved My So-Called Life. I was bummed when they cancelled it. And I just finished the latest season of Weeds. Jared Leto, such a heartbreaker.

I'm getting kind of annoyed with Nancy's character though. She won't try any type of job except selling weed. She keeps going back to that over and over again. (Not sure what season you're up to Maryn, but it's interesting to watch what happens with her sons as she continues the downward spiral over each season.)

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Well, hiya from the vampire coast, Carole. I just hopped on here a couple of months ago (that's the last three avatars from Maryn:D)
When I joined, the third post I got was "how do you like your popcorn?" from Wendy, and that, being a line I often utter when I volunteer at the local indie cinema,will always be her line.
If anyone wants to know how fun a 90 minute documentary about an 85-year old sushi chef in Japan can be, send me a rep!
Twelve great seafood chowders at the festival yesterday, hard to choose a favorite!
Trevor, only up half a pound

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning. Carole those pictures are great- thanks for sharing. It's nice to see you here again.

I'm s l o w l y starting to feel better. I noticed yesterday my knee is not nearly as swollen and I am in less pain. Yay.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Improvement is excellent, Sassy! I find the older I get, the slower I get well, but you may not be that old yet to notice. But a simple cut that used to be gone in four or five days is now like two weeks.

Carole, what great pictures! I am relieved to learn your husband is no longer climbing, too.

Trevor, thanks for the heads-up; it is indeed time for a new avatar. This weird one made a lot of people uneasy, so I'll see what I've got that's less disturbing. BTW, weren't you going to send me a PM with some revision, or idea for revision, on the story I critiqued?

We're expecting the low 60s and an end to showers by late morning, so I'm going walking outside. Maybe I'll take the camera, see if there isn't something worth shooting. (Bam!) I figure as long as I do the miles, stopping to take pictures doesn't do any harm. It's not like I'm training or some race, just trying to be healthy.

Maryn, who'd lose any race

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Glad you're feeling better, Sass.
I feel your pain about not healing fast any longer. I still have some bruising left from an ice pack attack more than a month ago. At least the foot no longer looks as if I meant to paint my toenails a really bizarre mixture of colors but missed my target.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Hiya, Trevor. :) Washington is one of the few states I haven't visited. I'd love to go.

Sass, I don't know what you're healing from, but I hope it picks up soon.

Thanks about the pictures, Sass and Maryn. We've had a lot of fun out there. I never dreamed I could fall in love with the desert, but I did.

Training to be healthy. It's a lifelong chore, isn't it? Blarg.

And Hi, Komena. I didn't mean to overlook anyone. :)

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
It promises to be a bumpy ride tonight but at least I have pizza.

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Beatrix.I'm eating the last piece now. I'm not going to die with an empty stomach.

Status
Not open for further replies.