Ray's House of Love (Volume II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Naps having been taken, the hot tub bubbles anew!
The popcorn machine was working just fine this afternoon. Our cinema is doing good business with Salmon Fishing in Yemen, which is not recommended to Mrs. Romney as it involves smart women who both raise children (Kirstin Scott Thomas' character does, esp. in a hilarious scene about hoodies; Emily Blunt's doubtless will) and work outside the home.

Trevor, licking salty lips

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're just back from an exhilarating, and exhausting, overnight trip.

Why is it that some people make no attempt to control the behavior of the kids in their charge in hotels? We had noisy kids in the hall from the time we checked in, around 4:00, until about 2:00 a.m., and it started up again at 7:00. There had to have been some nearby function or gathering for kids and this was where they were staying. I know being a chaperone is difficult and thankless, but the adults didn't even try to rein these kids in. Shrieking while waiting for the elevator is not acceptable at any hour.

Maryn, who needs a nap later

Russ Mars

Interesting little planet you've got here.
Registered
Reaction score
Pandora's in Thailand, right? Nothing in the news I've seen from out that way. Let's hope she's just busy.
Funny you should say, but not long after you posted that, there was an 8.6 earthquake off the coast of Sumatra. I freaked when I read about it when I woke up, and I couldn't reach her. When I finally did, she wasn't even aware of the quake. Fortunately, tsunami warnings were cancelled within a few hours. It was of a different type than the one in 2004 that caused the tsunamis that killed 230,000 in Indonesia, Sri Lanka, India and Thailand.

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, everyone.

Maryn

peydob

Banned
Reaction score
What's up Boss? I hope you didn't have nightmares of unruly anklebiters.

Guess what state is guest of honor at the London Book Fair?! China!

And a delegation of twentyish people who are to hold readings, discussions and presentations of Chinese literature were all hand picked by Gapp. In case you didn't know, Gapp likes to imprison writers if they aren't in line with a communist party policy. Let's not talk about the freedom of speech and press.

No one sent an invitation to 2010 Nobel laureate Liu Xiaobo. He wouldn't get it anyway. The mail is confiscated if you're behind the bars for security reasons.

Nonetheless China is the world's largest publisher by volume and there might be pots of money up for grabs.

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, everyone. We're expecting the warmest day of the season today, past 80, along with a high winds warning. By this time tomorrow, our little strip of woods will be studded with trash and it'll be in the low 50s again. Ducky.

However, I've learned that a furrier might be able to repair my leather coat (which Mr. Maryn damaged by forcing the trunk to latch on it rather than checking why the trunk didn't want to latch), so that pleased me. They don't open until late morning, but I'm already envisioning a younger, thinner, heavily-made-up version of myself trying on unconscionable coats while waiting for someone to be available to help me.

Maryn, who's never tried on a fur coat

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Have them check your coat's tendency to slither around in dark places. too--it's best to rule out paranormal possibilities!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Its motion in the trunk was highly suspect. I tossed it on top of a suitcase at least 24 inches from the latch. Mr. Maryn put in his jacket later, but no way might that have caused mine to move backward.

Maybe it's possessed!

Maryn, excited as the prospect

Russ Mars

Interesting little planet you've got here.
Registered
Reaction score
Where are agents Scully and Mulder when you need them?

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. I've inherited clothes and bought a dead stranger's coat but I don't recall any of them behaving in such a fashion.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps my leather coat was suicidal? Or just into self-harm, so it could at least feel something?

I didn't make it to the fur store. I had the oddest compulsion, the one I know to grab the rare times it happens. I spent several hours tidying and organizing the basement, deeming some items trash, setting aside others to donate, rearranging so like items would be together, and making it a lot easier to walk down there. I even hauled the vacuum down and got rid of a lot of dust and spiders.

Maryn, feeling all noble

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did have a good day off yesterday. Went to Donwai floating market and took a boat ride up the river. Really felt like I was in Asia. If you've ever been to Bangkok, you could understand that statement. For those that have not, let me explain. Western culture is so prominent here that it is easy to forget that one is in an entirely different hemisphere sometimes. Especially depending upon where in Bangkok you spend your time.
Yesterday I saw a lot of traditional Thai culture and it was a blast. Right on the river, were traditional thai houses that were IN the water, just on support beams. And they had gardens in the water. Very cool.

That sounds very cool Pandora. Some parts of the world almost look "magical" in pictures. (Ya know, besides the foreign bacteria/bug issues.) ;)

Glad you're finally having such a good time.

what I would really love right now is a nap

:e2cloud9:

Try reading the unedited Communist Manifesto.

"Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...."

We're just back from an exhilarating, and exhausting, overnight trip.
Why is it that some people make no attempt to control the behavior of the kids in their charge in hotels? We had noisy kids in the hall from the time we checked in, around 4:00, until about 2:00 a.m., and it started up again at 7:00. There had to have been some nearby function or gathering for kids and this was where they were staying. I know being a chaperone is difficult and thankless, but the adults didn't even try to rein these kids in. Shrieking while waiting for the elevator is not acceptable at any hour.
Maryn, who needs a nap later

That drives me nuts too. Movie theaters, grocery stores, hotels, etc...kids are menace.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hear you. My kids learned from toddler days that nice people are aware of the comfort of others. We do not run around or make noise in a place that isn't designed for running around and making noise.

It's funny to me that The Kid, who's been an adult for years, is seriously into metal and has a vast CD collection, yet plays it only when she's sure the people in the other side of the duplex have left for the day.

Maryn, who did some aspects of parenting right

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
Roomie is coming home Thursday. I've got lots of organizing to do between now and then.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Komnena, I hope that means your roomie is better.

So I think I am slowly improving with my knee/hip/nerve...just plugging along every day.

I need to do that in my basement too Maryn, and my "office" - I use the term loosly. It's so easy to avoid things like that when I have a husband who doesn't mind if I play video games with him instead of cleaning.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Komnena, that's good to hear, that roomie is returning. Making a house accessible to someone whose mobility/agility is not what it was is a big job! Don't work too hard.

Sassy, if you saw my house you'd know I never work too hard.

Maryn, lousy housekeeper

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
I need to do that in the whole house.
Roomie seems to be better.
We have stacks of books everywhere.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Komnena, that's good to hear, that roomie is returning. Making a house accessible to someone whose mobility/agility is not what it was is a big job! Don't work too hard.

Sassy, if you saw my house you'd know I never work too hard.

Maryn, lousy housekeeper
I think that is why we are friends. ;)

Komnena said:
We have stacks of books everywhere.
Ah - the mark of good people.

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
I filled another cull box today and have filled two medium sized trash cans. Another day like this and I might actually feel like I'm achieving something.

Status
Not open for further replies.