Talk about the kidlit you're reading!

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
I have finally finished the onerous book I have posted about so many times already, the one that's title begins with W.

I am free, free, free, and it feels so good! :)

SPOILER: Do not highlight if you don't want to know my final objection to this troubling tale!

There is a boy who decides to let his FAMILY THINK HE IS DEAD so he can remain in the otherworldly realm, and THEY ARE INCONSOLABLE, and the girl who knows the truth LETS THEM THINK HE IS DEAD. Aaarghhh!

t0dd

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading the original Bugsy Malone, and it's quite a hoot!

"Bugsy Malone" was originally a book? I thought it was one of those movies based on itself rather than on a book.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
I did an interview with a fellow AWer about his new middle grade mystery debut, DIZZY MISS LIZZY, on the Project Mayhem blog. It's here (We're giving away a copy as well.:)

Both my daughter and i read it and liked it. It's fast-paced and has some fascinating real history in it.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Amarie. I also interviewed that author, but I never knew he was a fellow AWer! I don't know how we managed to correspond as much as we did and never discovered that fact.

I liked his book. The historical parts were a lot of fun for me with the talk of fashion. It's on my blog if anyone wants to check it out. http://cordeliadinsmore.blogspot.com.

Oh, and there's also an interview with Amarie on there for Wolf Storm. Another exciting, action-packed book.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished reading Dolphin Luck by Hilary McKay. She has one new book coming out this spring, but besides that I've read all her MG novels and I'm kinda sad. I guess I can always reread them. It was awesome and hilarious per usual. I think it takes a very delicate touch to make comedy out of a) two little kids digging up their dog's grave to check if he has gone to heaven or not, and b) two other little kids taking the train to stay with their great-aunt and mistakenly moving in with an extremely mentally ill woman. It all came out very heartwarming in the end, but I don't know if I would be brave enough to write about such topics!

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
two other little kids taking the train to stay with their great-aunt and mistakenly moving in with an extremely mentally ill woman.

I must admit I can see the hilarious side to this. I am wrong that way! :)

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Okay For Now. This book is ripping my heart out. I'm going to hate finishing it.

That one is next on my list, but I have to get through the current YA novel I'm reading. I'm having trouble getting into it, which is very disappointing, since I usually love this author's works.

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
I'm reading Dinkin Dings and the Frightening Things by Guy Bass. It's pretty hilarious; it's about a boy who's scared of absolutely everything imaginable (and most of the things NOT imaginable)... Except got the Frightening Things, monsters that he can summon at midnight to help him battle the crazy creatures he sees in everyday normal people.

Highly recommended.

Dave

scarecrow

If I only had a brain...
Registered
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity does everyone still read books or are you e-reading. We don't have an e reader yet. My dd says she likes to turn pages and I just borrow all of her books. Plus we like to spend time in the library.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity does everyone still read books or are you e-reading. We don't have an e reader yet. My dd says she likes to turn pages and I just borrow all of her books. Plus we like to spend time in the library.

Real books for me, usually from the library! When I get my hands on a book over 600 pages, it makes me really really really want an ereader so I don't have to hoist an enormous book up to read it.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com

I love e-reading. I still read print books, largely because I pick up a lot of great middle grade at Goodwill. But our library system has a terrific selection of MG & YA books available for Kindle, and it is definitely my preferred way to read now. (I was super skeptical, and thought I'd never want to read on an electronic device. Then I got my hands on one.)

As a writer, I like e-reading for a couple reasons. One is the samples - on the Kindle, anyway, you can get a sizable sample for free of everything in the Kindle store. It's a good way to check out things that have buzz, comparable titles, etc. I have small kids, and as such, little time to hang out in a bookstore reading the first chapter of everything. So I love this.

Also, I like looking at my manuscripts on the Kindle. In the same way that you get a different view on a hard copy and the computer screen, the e-reader view is yet another option that shows me new things to work on that I didn't see in other formats.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I don't own an e-reader. Sometimes, like when I'm traveling and such, I think it would be a nice to have one. But there are some books I'd still read in hardcopy anyway. I can't underline passages in an e-reader or make notes in the margin. I can't highlight things or mark certain pages with sticky flags.

Unless I can... someone definitely let me know if I can....

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
You can, heza. Both highlight and dog-ear pages. I highlight stuff using the Kindle app, and then when you go to your highlights, it lists them all in a row. I do miss being able to thumb easily back and forth through pages though. Like Joy, I love the free samples - it's a great way to remember books you've been meaning to check out at the library.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
I like them both. For one thing, having a queue of books on the Nook doesn't feel nearly as embarrassing as having a pile of things I ought to be reading filling up my nightstand...

I like taking my Nook when I go places. Easier than regular books. But I still love the feel of real books, so I read lots of those, too. Also it's easier to share real books, so if I know my kids or my mom are going to want to read something, too, then I buy the real thing. At least until we all have ereaders--otherwise I'd have to loan them my Nook, and who knows when I'd get it back?

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
My daughter has gone crazy with our ereader. She loves downloading the samples of books to see if she likes them. I use both the ereader and read real books. I prefer actual books, but our house is always overflowing with them and it's definitely easier to travel with an ereader. On car trips we used to have to stash books in every possible space to make sure we all had enough. Now that we have two ereaders, we've cut down on that a lot.

scarecrow

If I only had a brain...
Registered
Reaction score
I think I am going to have to force my daughter use one for the soul purpose of travel. We usually check out between 20-30 books just for her when we go to the library. This fall she read 85 books in 3 months. I can't keep up with her. We'd need a suitcase just for books if we took a full week vacation right now. I am sure she will adjust.

Maybe I will get one for me that would assure that she'd steal it.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Real books for me, too. However, I do occasionally read books on my iPhone. I don't like to do it, but if I've got nothing on me but my phone, it'll do in a pinch.