Talk about the kidlit you're reading!

iloomis

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished "Cracker" and I still loved it but thought one thing was odd -- there were several smoking scenes in the book. If you haven't read it, the book is about a scout dog handler in the Vietnam war. The main character is an 17-18yo soldier and there are several scenes where he smokes, shares a cigarette with someone, etc. I'm not sure what to make of this. Part of me admires her commitment to being accurate and non-PC. On the other hand, it's a kid book, not "Mad Men." Opinions?

Oh, and I actually enjoyed The Red Pyramid. Great literature? No. Fun read? Yes.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Book One in the Beastologist series by RL LaFevers. It's a quick read and I really liked it. I hope my reluctant reader will, too. Also finished Gods Of Manhattan, after seeing it recommended here. I love that there's a God Of Things Were Better in the Old Days. Very imaginative book that made me wish I knew more about New York.

And, because it was sitting there at the library, I picked up The Red Pyramid. A cautious older brother and impulsive little sister discover they have interesting powers and are hunted by powerful gods - hey, I just read this (Gods of Manhattan). Found the beginning was filled with "As you know, Bob," kind of moments to explain Egyptian mythology. I'm about 1/5th in and it has to go back (some kid had the nerve to put a hold on it).

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
I think Red Pyramid needed the explainy bits and I didn't mind them It felt very well reearched but also educational and imaginative.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished "Cracker" and I still loved it but thought one thing was odd -- there were several smoking scenes in the book. If you haven't read it, the book is about a scout dog handler in the Vietnam war. The main character is an 17-18yo soldier and there are several scenes where he smokes, shares a cigarette with someone, etc. I'm not sure what to make of this. Part of me admires her commitment to being accurate and non-PC. On the other hand, it's a kid book, not "Mad Men." Opinions?

Oh, and I actually enjoyed The Red Pyramid. Great literature? No. Fun read? Yes.

With a 17-18 yr old protag, this sounds more YA than MG/kidlit, and in that case there isn't any problem with him smoking. Even if he were much younger it wouldn't be a problem, especially with this being an historical.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
I just read Falling In by Frances O'Roark Dowell. I loved it... I'm definitely going to look for more of her books!

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday I finished Alex and the Ironic Gentleman. Very entertaining. Many LOLworthy parts, plus an awesome octopus. I loved it!

And then I read Wildfire Run. Thrilling! Don't start it if you have anywhere to be in the next three hours. It was full of cool stuff and very fast moving.

12yroldwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I just read Falling In by Frances O'Roark Dowell. I loved it... I'm definitely going to look for more of her books!

I haven't read that one, but I've read Dovey Coe and Where I'd Like to Be by her and enjoyed them.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to read Dovey Coe soon. I think it's an entirely different sort of book, but it sounds really good.

Kitty, I heard Adrienne Cress, the author of Alex and the Ironic Gentleman, speak at the Big Read in St Louis a couple of years ago. She was just as cute as could be--very young and dramatic (has an acting background, I think).

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to read Dovey Coe soon. I think it's an entirely different sort of book, but it sounds really good.

Kitty, I heard Adrienne Cress, the author of Alex and the Ironic Gentleman, speak at the Big Read in St Louis a couple of years ago. She was just as cute as could be--very young and dramatic (has an acting background, I think).

Yep, she's our very own Toothpaste. Maybe you've seen her around AW? :)

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
I just read Danny the Champion of the World (finally)! I'm a little uneasy about how blithely stealing is presented as an okay thing to do, but the target is so unpleasant, and the whole town is in on it ... so I still think it's wrong, but not that bad. I loved spending time with Danny and his amazingly cool father in their cool caravan. :)

C.J. Rockwell

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.talkinganimaladdicts.com
With a 17-18 yr old protag, this sounds more YA than MG/kidlit, and in that case there isn't any problem with him smoking. Even if he were much younger it wouldn't be a problem, especially with this being an historical.

I have to agree with you on this one. I haven't read the book, but if smoking's the only suggestive action the MC does, believe me, I've read far more edgier stuff, some of it written by many of our regulars here, both published and unpublished.

I can understand you're feeling torn though.

Plus, since my mother's a smoker, and my Grandma used to be (Over 10 years clean), I wouldn't allow it in my own house, when I have a house someday...

But speaking strictly as a writer, I'm all for doing whatever it takes to make the story you're telling feel true and sincere, even if it means the characters say or do things that don't mesh at all with my sensibilities.

I'm not familiar with Mad Men (Book or Movie? Or Both?) but as long as it wasn't the brainchild of Quentin Tarantino, I think it might be safe for 12 and up, given on how you've described it.

Besides, not every kid imitates what they read exactly, at least not the really dangerous stuff beyond simple pretend play that all kids do.

That's one of the pleasures about books, we get to experience all the radical dangers and perils, without being in physical danger, and except for maybe the occasional nightmare if it was a particularly mind-shattering ride, we're still safe at home, or wherever we are when we're reading a good book.

Last edited:

Bookmama

Registered
Reaction score
Leviathan

My husband purchased this book, Leviathan, that we've been reading. It's another kind of crossover book -- main character is a kid, but book has a lot of appeal for adults. I don't know where he came up with that book, as I'd never heard of it (yes, it has sold a lot).

It's very action-oriented and would appeal to boys. It's also a good book for reading if you are like me and tend to write more about touchy-feely stuff (as many women writers do) and want to get more action-oriented.

timp67

Registered
Reaction score
I loved Leviathan for the adventure, but I had some niggling apprehensions that all war book glamorize war.

C.J. Rockwell

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Website
My husband purchased this book, Leviathan, that we've been reading. It's another kind of crossover book -- main character is a kid, but book has a lot of appeal for adults. I don't know where he came up with that book, as I'd never heard of it (yes, it has sold a lot).

It's very action-oriented and would appeal to boys. It's also a good book for reading if you are like me and tend to write more about touchy-feely stuff (as many women writers do) and want to get more action-oriented.

Sounds interesting, I need to check it out then.

Plus, like you Bookmama, I'm also a pushover for the "Touchy-Feely" stuff, both in what I read, and what I write, and I'm a man to boot!

C.J. Rockwell

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I loved Leviathan for the adventure, but I had some niggling apprehensions that all war book glamorize war.

I know how you feel there. I used to avoid all books that involved extensive wars, especially the ones that actually happened in real life.

But then I read
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and while they were a few parts in that book that disturbed me, it was the humor, grace, and love of books, people, an animal or three that kept me riveted to the end.

Since then I've added a couple more books to my T.B.R. (To Be Read) list that have war or military trappings, something I wouldn't have done a few years ago.

That said, while I don't plan to read War and Peace or anything involving the wars in the middle east anytime soon, I can understand and respect those writers who don't glorify the war, but rather show it in the most honest way possible, without making wimps like like me feel like we're ignorant jerks just because we haven't seen what they saw, and understandably never want to see again.

On the other hand, since the best books need a gripping conflict to set the stage, war can be a dramatic backdrop or a direct force in the lives and actions of the characters.

In that sense, I understand it. But like with anything else, it depends on the writer and book involved, that often makes the difference.

After all, isn't that not one of the most magical things a writer can do? To make even the most annoying, deplorable, and even heartbreaking things we face in life entertaining or even healing?

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
I just read Danny the Champion of the World (finally)! I'm a little uneasy about how blithely stealing is presented as an okay thing to do, but the target is so unpleasant, and the whole town is in on it ... so I still think it's wrong, but not that bad. I loved spending time with Danny and his amazingly cool father in their cool caravan. :)
I can understand where you are coming from, but I read the book a little differently.
This is and has always been (since I first read it at 9 or so) one of my favorite books. Upon re-reading it as an adult I think it's apparent that the dad is addicted to poaching. He literally can't stop.

That's why I love it now, as a father. Danny's dad is a loving father, who tries his best, but often falls short. In the end, it turns out he out he's doing a good job raising his son.

As a father, it gives me hope; just do my best and (hopefully) my kids will turn out okay.

Dahl was truly a master.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
My son and I are reading Snarf Attack, Underfoodle, and the Secret of Life by Mary Amato. We both laugh so much it's ridiculous. I think it's because I remember my brother doing so many of the same things that the kids in the book do, that I can identify, and they're so silly that they entertain my son. He even went into the storage closet this morning and looked around with his hands.

Anyway, I'd recommend it for boys.

CharleyGirl

Glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fallingleaflets.blogspot.com

Keep in mind, compared to what Dahl does to most of his meanie characters (death by peach or bad-nut hole, anyone?), Mr. Victor Hazell having his pheasants stolen isn't too bad. He got off lucky (though I realize this was a more realistic story, so he probably wasn't about to kill off characters in nasty ways). :)

Last edited:

timp67

Registered
Reaction score
I did make me slobber for a roast pheasant dinner, and I have no idea how that would actually taste! :)

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score

The only one of hers I've read is Shooting the Moon--a very simple, heartfelt kind of story about a military brat whose older brother enlists for Vietnam. The conflict in the family when it's your own son getting shipped off to war, not someone else's...

Even though it's set in the 70's, it feels very relevant now, with the conflicts we're in.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
I've started reading The Magic Thief and now I feel like a very crappy, very unclever, writer.

I think this is why I haven't been in the mood to read and have just been playing my Nintendo DS nonstop. Video games don't make me feel stupid....

But, yes, so far it is super good.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Just read Crunch by Leslie Connor, a middle grade sorta-dystopian about gasoline becoming extremely scarce. The characters were very real, and it was a hopeful and heartwarming tale. It also did a very nice job of getting the parents out of the picture in a believable way (in regard to the discussion on the other thread)! I highly recommend this book.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished The Hollow Bettle, book one in The Poisons of Caux trilogy by Susannah Appelbaum. I really enjoyed the world building and the characters and am anxious to read the second book. At first, I was skeptical of the premise - it takes place in a world where people poison each other quite often, but once I got into it, it was fun.

Here's the first line: It's an astonishing feat that young Ivy Manx was not poisoned during Mr. Flux's tenure as her taster.

Also picked up Snarf Attack for my boys - thanks for the recommendation Sissy! And have just started Countdown by Deborah Wiles, a historical novel set during the Cuban Missile crisis. So far, I love it.