RIP Leonard Nimoy, 83

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
And now William Shatner is getting grief for not canceling his appearance at a Red Cross event tonight in Florida so he could attend Nimoy's funeral today in LA. NY Daily News called him "Captain Jerk."

SMH. I guess Twitter has pretty well blown up in both directions on this. Here's what I sent to Shatner's account (in 3 messages):
I've always hurt for friends & family in public deaths like this. It's hard enough to grieve w/o being judged
on how you're grieving. Grief is intimate & personal. Ppl should in general not judge someone on how they're grieving.
A friend called this your Kobayashi Maru. I wish the screen writers could help you on this one. Peace to you and yours.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
And now William Shatner is getting grief for not canceling his appearance at a Red Cross event tonight in Florida so he could attend Nimoy's funeral today in LA. NY Daily News called him "Captain Jerk."

SMH. I guess Twitter has pretty well blown up in both directions on this. Here's what I sent to Shatner's account (in 3 messages):
I've always hurt for friends & family in public deaths like this. It's hard enough to grieve w/o being judged
on how you're grieving. Grief is intimate & personal. Ppl should in general not judge someone on how they're grieving.
A friend called this your Kobayashi Maru. I wish the screen writers could help you on this one. Peace to you and yours.

I'll bet Nimoy would have told Shatner to keep his commitment to the Red Cross.

I hate people.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I like to think so too.

And if your 40+ year friendship is defined by whether you attend the person's funeral, then the definition is pretty weak in my book.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

How many people will benefit from the money William Shatner will help the Red Cross raise.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Shatner and Nimoy were close friends for years. Obviously, I don't know what each of them are (were) really like, but I'd like to think that Nimoy would say, "Be a mensch, Bill. Do some good."

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I'll bet Nimoy would have told Shatner to keep his commitment to the Red Cross.
I would think so, too.

Plus, Shatner took to Twitter and answered people's questions about Nimoy, and shared his memories. What a generous way for him to memorialize his friend.

One of them made me cry, reading them this morning:

@andrsdtz: always loved #LeonardNimoy not only in ST but also as William Bell in Fringe. what was ur favorite role of him?” Friend

:cry:

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
William Shatner has nothing to apologize for. It's what Nimoy would have wanted him to do, I'm pretty sure. NY Daily News is run by a pack of mindless Ferengi.

caw

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com

That is sad. On a high note, I finished my new Pokemon deck, and, with help from my son, named it Spock.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
We Trekkers are unique.

Bank of Canada is pleading with Star Trek fans to stop “Spocking” its five dollar bills. Since Leonard Nimoy’s death, Canadian folks have been “Spocking” the hell out of the five dollar bill that features a portrait of Canada’s seventh prime minister Sir Wilfrid Laurier.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
A few days ago, the Westboro whackjobs made it known that they were going to picket Nimoy's funeral...except that they couldn't find the correct synagogue. About seven synagogues put out the word that they were holding the funeral and the Westboro nutsies got confused and gave up.

They should have prayed for a map.