50 Shades of Grey trilogy goes from fan fiction to Random House

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score

Aw, it was just a tease.

But failing Ellen, I say they go the classy route for the audio version. Since the "Americans" in FSoG talk like Brits, how about we hire Karl Pilkington to read it? Complete with deep impromptu philosophizing of course.

Great idea, innit?

220px-Karl_Pilkington_2008_cropped.jpg

Last edited:

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
The tumblr thing is fucking hilarious. I don't even need to read the book now--not that I was going to anyways.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
The tumblr is funny. But the way the person is harassing the author on Twitter, asking kind of mean questions of her, I dunno, I don't like that.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I broke down and bought the first book. I'm five chapters in and I already know I won't buy the second. I'm not a fan of female MCs who make one stupid judgement call after another.:Shrug:

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
I read the opening pages a week ago just to see what all the fuss was about, and have to admit the writing is pretty bad. However, I'm not into any author being mocked or made fun of.

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
The tumblr is funny. But the way the person is harassing the author on Twitter, asking kind of mean questions of her, I dunno, I don't like that.

Oh, I hadn't seen that. Not very cool. Just unfollowed.

mackandblues

Registered
Reaction score
So I was recommended the series by my sister before I heard all the hype. I honestly did not pick up on the Twilight connection until I started searching the internet wondering what others thought of FSOG. So far I've read the 1st and 2nd book and now taking a break before venturing onto the third.

I love to read those "trashy romances" because I like the escapism and hope but I have serious problems with FSOG. Her writing is terrible - normally I can get past that and enjoy the story like I did with Twilight but the repetition of phrases and words, the simple sentances, etc are just awful! ( I love the dearauthor.com review of the book). But what finally got me? So in the beginning of the book she's too intimidated by him to be "her true self" aka happy and carefree. Infact her friend has taken pictures of her in those instances and uses them in is photo gallery show. And Christian sees them and wants her to act like that around him, and so the story goes on, blah blah blah. Then towards the end of the second book he says something like "you being carefree and happy made me fall in love with you". But she was too intimated by him during their 'courtship' to be herself.

SPOILER!!!

Anyways, I also really dislike the characters as well. I also don't like the whole "message" of the book. He's into BDSM because he was seduced by one of his mother's friends at the age of 15 who was into all that. He also prefers brunettes because his birth mother was a brunette. So he likes to beat his subs and give them pain because they look like his birth mom? Then he has sex with them after that? I don't even want to get into what Freud would say!
Also she's trying to "bring him into the light" by helping him let go of his more abusive tendencies. So he needs to be "cured". Blah - its all pretty much messed up....

Mustafa

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
So I was recommended the series by my sister before I heard all the hype. I honestly did not pick up on the Twilight connection until I started searching the internet wondering what others thought of FSOG. So far I've read the 1st and 2nd book and now taking a break before venturing onto the third.

I love to read those "trashy romances" because I like the escapism and hope but I have serious problems with FSOG. Her writing is terrible - normally I can get past that and enjoy the story like I did with Twilight but the repetition of phrases and words, the simple sentances, etc are just awful! ( I love the dearauthor.com review of the book). But what finally got me? So in the beginning of the book she's too intimidated by him to be "her true self" aka happy and carefree. Infact her friend has taken pictures of her in those instances and uses them in is photo gallery show. And Christian sees them and wants her to act like that around him, and so the story goes on, blah blah blah. Then towards the end of the second book he says something like "you being carefree and happy made me fall in love with you". But she was too intimated by him during their 'courtship' to be herself.

SPOILER!!!

Anyways, I also really dislike the characters as well. I also don't like the whole "message" of the book. He's into BDSM because he was seduced by one of his mother's friends at the age of 15 who was into all that. He also prefers brunettes because his birth mother was a brunette. So he likes to beat his subs and give them pain because they look like his birth mom? Then he has sex with them after that? I don't even want to get into what Freud would say!
Also she's trying to "bring him into the light" by helping him let go of his more abusive tendencies. So he needs to be "cured". Blah - its all pretty much messed up....

So, I was going to avoid this book because it was fan fiction, and I despise fan fiction, but your review just edged all curiosity out of my mind. I owe you a beer, madam.

mackandblues

Registered
Reaction score
So, I was going to avoid this book because it was fan fiction, and I despise fan fiction, but your review just edged all curiosity out of my mind. I owe you a beer, madam.

wait I'm confused - so you were going to avoid it but based on my review you are now going to read it? sorry I've been working for going on 15 hours now...

Mustafa

Registered
Reaction score
wait I'm confused - so you were going to avoid it but based on my review you are now going to read it? sorry I've been working for going on 15 hours now...
\
I was going to avoid it based on the fact that it was fan fiction. But then I started getting curious because it's all over the t.v and internet. But your review saved me from peeking.

skylark

Registered
Reaction score
I was going to avoid it based on the fact that it was fan fiction.

How on earth do you plan to tell whether any particular story did or didn't start out in the author's mind as fanfiction?

Genre =/= quality.

Mustafa

Registered
Reaction score
How on earth do you plan to tell whether any particular story did or didn't start out in the author's mind as fanfiction?

Genre =/= quality.

I certainly wouldn't call fan fiction a genre, but I guess you do?

I guess I expect most authors to come up with original ideas based on characters they create. If I read something and found out later that it was fan fiction, I'd be pretty disappointed. Luckily, in this instance I don't need to waste my time because the roots of this book are well known. I don't want to pay money to read fan fiction.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score

Genre =/= quality.

Fanfiction isn't a genre. Fanfiction is, by nature, the use of another writer's characters and setting, which is why it's not supposed to be sold.

IF you write a piece of fanfiction and either never post it as fanfiction or take it down and alter it beyond recognition, then more power to you. (assuming the version you sell isn't still fanfiction)

IF you write a piece of fanfiction, post it to a site comprised of fans of the universe in which you're writing, gain a following, then search/replace the character names so that there's more than an 80% similarity between the work you based off the original author's piece and sell it as-is to maintain the following who will still see the work you're selling as fanfiction of the work they already loved... not good. You're capitalizing on someone else's work.

Fins Left

Registered
Reaction score
Fanfiction isn't a genre. Fanfiction is, by nature, the use of another writer's characters and setting, which is why it's not supposed to be sold.
[...]You're capitalizing on someone else's work.

You must find the whole Walt Disney corporation to be pure evil.

Fins Left

Registered
Reaction score
I just went through some of the pages on that tumbler account. Is this within the "fair use" for copyright infringment? The cumulative account is gong to end up re-printing a significant portion of the book. The quotes are always longer than the associated snark. So, is this actually some sort of fanfic as well?

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
I just went through some of the pages on that tumbler account. Is this within the "fair use" for copyright infringment? The cumulative account is gong to end up re-printing a significant portion of the book. The quotes are always longer than the associated snark. So, is this actually some sort of fanfic as well?

You can get the pdfs of Master of the Universe online. Before E.L put them into paperback form, she allowed people to download and redistribute them from her website as she was banned from Fanfiction.com and I forgot why. Only difference is the name changes.

Fins Left

Registered
Reaction score
You can get the pdfs of Master of the Universe online. Before E.L put them into paperback form, she allowed people to download and redistribute them from her website as she was banned from Fanfiction.com and I forgot why. Only difference is the name changes.

So, in the original, the MCs were Ana and Christian as well? The author appears to be quoting from the book, even giving page number references?

Also, apparently un-paid for stock photos are also fair use in the tumblr author's world. I've seen at least one still watermarked photo used. - But, hey, maybe the poster paid for it and liked the watermark?

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world

Genre =/= quality.

No, genre =/= quality, true. However, I have several ebooks on my computer now that I can tell from within the first thirty pages or so they were fanfic. And, funnily enough, in a fandom I was familiar with because I recognized a few of the fanon conventions frequent in fanfiction of the fandom. I asked for opinion from friends who have read them and with careful questioning, have said the same thing.

Being the curious sort, I did some research and discovered I was right.

In many cases, you can tell. There's a certain cadence, a certain rhythm to the story structure, to the character descriptions, to the prose that marks them as fanfiction. A dependence on certain fanon qualifications that marks the characters as identifiable for fanfic use in an AU.

I dunno, there's just this 'feel' to a fanfiction-originated book as a whole that 'pings' on my fanfiction radar.

I'm sure there are many books out there that were originally fanfiction AUs but don't read that way. I think it's a testament to the writer's skill for them to pull that off.

If the reader doesn't read fanfiction? They may never notice the difference and they may never care. It's fresh and new to them. In a way, I envy that. My long years in fandom, in reading and writing fanfiction has jaded my ability to simply enjoy something when it starts ticking off the markers of fanfiction in my head.

eta: This was dropped on me by a friend. There is a little discussion about fanfiction in general in there that says it better than I did/can.

Last edited:

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
So, in the original, the MCs were Ana and Christian as well? The author appears to be quoting from the book, even giving page number references?

The MCs in the original (Master of the Universe) were Bella and Edward.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score

Also, apparently un-paid for stock photos are also fair use in the tumblr author's world. I've seen at least one still watermarked photo used. - But, hey, maybe the poster paid for it and liked the watermark?

The original names in the original fanfic were Bella Edward + other twilight characters. The only thing she changed for publication were all the names of the characters.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
You must find the whole Walt Disney corporation to be pure evil.

Not really, but I find arguments that are made of straw-men burn up easily under scrutiny.

Disney owns the rights to everything they produce. They either use established fairy tales (Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty), stories in the public domain (Pinocchio), or pay to license the rights (Peter Pan), along with buying original material. They also have some of the most stringent regulations in the business when it comes to submission, acceptance and publication.

They don't publish fanfiction.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
Yes the characters are the same in personality as the twilight characters. I made a post here and many people who didnt know it was a twilight fanfic before said it was like reading twilight as the Jacob character is the same, same as the Victoria, Carlisle, her dad etc:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7207871&postcount=325

to quote a bit of the post:
MOTU’s/FSoG’s Edward/Christian:
Very handsome and wealthy, mesmerises people
Has bronze unruly hair
Is harbouring a secret (he’s a Domme)
Plays the piano proficiently, with eclectic tastes
Was adopted by his parents
Self-loathing is a massive character trait
Rebelled against his parents in his teenage years
Claims he is tired of trying to stay away from Ana/Bella, to which she responds “Then don’t”
Worries about touching Bella
Saves her from an accident
Is aghast at the idea of having a unexpected baby, which Ana/Bella refers to as “Blip”

Twilight’s Edward:
Very handsome and wealthy, mesmerises people
Has copper coloured unruly hair
Is harbouring a secret (he’s a Vampire)
Plays the piano proficiently, with eclectic tastes
Was adopted by Carlisle as a companion
Self-loathing is a massive character trait
Rebelled against his family in his early vampire years
Claims he is tired of staying away from Bella, to which she responds “Then don’t”
Worries about Bella/Ana touching him
Saves her from being attacked
Is aghast at the idea of having a unexpected baby, which Bella refers to as “Nudger”

Let’s look at Bella now, shall we?

MOTU’s/FSoG’s Ana/Bella:
Shy and inexperienced, with low self esteem
Brunette, blushes and bites her lip constantly
She’s clumsy
When Edward/Christian touches her “as our fingers touch, I feel an odd exhilarating shiver run through me. I withdraw my hand hastily, embarrassed. Must be static”.
Is enamoured by the enigmatic Christian/Edward
Has a love for the Classics
Has a cop for a father
Has an absent, wandering mother
Her Hispanic best friend wants more from her
Is fiercely protective of her little Blip

Twilight’s Bella:
Shy and inexperienced, with low self esteem
Brunette, blushes and bites her lip constantly
She’s clumsy
When Edward touches her, it “stung my hand as if an electric current had passed through us”.
Is enamoured by the enigmatic Edward
Has a love for the Classics
Has a cop for a father
Has an absent, wandering mother
Her Native American best friend wants more from her
Is fiercely protective of her little Nudger

Status
Not open for further replies.