I'm as bad at subject headings as I am titles

AllisonK

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allisonkraft.com
Hello there! Another newbie here. I've looked around a little and this seems like a fun place with a lot of great people, so I'm happy to start settling in! It's been a while since I've been part of a message board community like this, and I'm quickly realizing how much I've missed it.

A little about me: I grew up outside of Chicago, but have lived in Florida for the past 21 years. I've been writing since the late 90s, though I didn't start writing novels until about 2001/2002. Before that, I dabbled mostly in fanfiction. Yes, I said it. I wrote fanfiction. (Hey, everyone has to start somewhere, right? I even wrote some Orlando Bloom fanfic, so I was amused when I saw some of the profile questions. :)) It wasn't long before I got tired of writing someone else's characters and wanted to write my own, so here I am. I have 3 novels completed, in various stages of revision and another about 75% done. Most have a paranormal angle (vampires, ghosts, time travel, etc.) because that's what I've always loved to read.

I'm not published yet, but I'm in the process of getting my first novel ready for self-publishing. I tried the traditional route first, but got impatient and am now aiming for the indie route because if I wait much longer, the premise of the book will be outdated (it's centered around the 100th anniversary of the sailing/sinking of the Titanic, which is next year. When I wrote the first draft, that was 10 years in the future. My, how time flies!)

On a more personal note, I have 4 cats, am addicted to TV and dabble in various types of design. I also love cheese, though sadly, my family is not connected to those Krafts. :tongue

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

Figuro

Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to another cat person.

I also have 4 cats (although they not currently with me). Sounds like you have your hands full - best of luck with your self-publishing.

garnerdavis

Warped humor here
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. I wouldn't worry about your book subject becoming outdated. If too much time passes, you can always change its topic and publishing date to coincide with the hundredth anniversary of the Andrea Dorea's sinking!

DeaK

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I thought you thread title was very clever:)

NinaK

On the Beach
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome and good luck

AllisonK

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allisonkraft.com
Thanks everyone, for the welcomes so far!

Welcome. I wouldn't worry about your book subject becoming outdated. If too much time passes, you can always change its topic and publishing date to coincide with the hundredth anniversary of the Andrea Dorea's sinking!

But then all the research I did on the Titanic would be useless! Besides, I chose the subject because I've been a huge Titanic enthusiast most of my life. It's just not the same with another ship. ;)

Welcome! I thought you thread title was very clever:)

Thanks! If only I could come up with clever book titles as quickly.

MMConway

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Allison. Glad to have you join us.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. A word to the wise, (50 posts), it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

AlanF

Think Positive
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vodpod.com
Welcome, Allison...Best Wishes with your writing goals.

C.J.

Gabi Daniels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gabidaniels.com
Hello Cat lady

I too grew up outside of Chicago and now live in the south.
I have not started the query process yet. I am here to get as much advise as i can before I start.
I am curious why you do not continue to send out queries?
Good luck, CJ

AllisonK

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allisonkraft.com
Hello Cat lady

I too grew up outside of Chicago and now live in the south.
I have not started the query process yet. I am here to get as much advise as i can before I start.
I am curious why you do not continue to send out queries?
Good luck, CJ

Hi CJ,

I gave up on queries partly because I'm impatient, but also because the topic of my book was so time-sensitive. I know how long publishing takes, and knew that even if I got a deal today, the chance of the book being released by or before April 2012 was pretty slim. Also, there are vampires in the story, and while querying, I kept coming across blog after blog where agents complained about how sick they were of vampires. I can't help it that I wrote my book before Twilight came out! Back then, vamps weren't as popular, but they're essential to my story, so I couldn't remove them. So... self-pubbing. :) Also, I'm kind of a control freak, so I like the idea that I can do my own cover art, print layout and ebook formatting. :D

Thanks for the welcome!
Allison