William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
can't we just burn her at the stake on pay-per-view and move on?

we could use it to pay down the national debt. everybody wins.

Deleted member 42

Or, alternatively, maybe she's incredibly greedy, guilty, and gormless?

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
From the article:

Politicians are routinely allowed to have such funds to pay off legal bills, but quirks in Alaska law can present ethics issues.

The investigator, Thomas Daniel, sided with Palin in her frustration with having to defend herself against a barrage of ethics complaints. He suggested that Alaska lawmakers may need to create a law that reimburses public officials for legal expenses to defend complaints that end up being unfounded.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting how the law itself will reimburse people. I sure hope that law has deep pockets.

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
The cure for people raising frivolous or unsubstantiated legal allegations is to have them responsible for all court costs if they lose.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
The cure for people raising frivolous or unsubstantiated legal allegations is to have them responsible for all court costs if they lose.

Abso-freaking-lutely

In fact, I wish they would pass a law for frivilous lawsuits, clearly outline a definition for them, and then maybe even have a separate branch of the judicial system that deals with them.

This would be a great area for a politician to champion

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Is that not how it works already? :Huh:

I have no experience with court issues, so I had assumed that's how it worked.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
In fact, I wish they would pass a law for frivilous lawsuits, clearly outline a definition for them, and then maybe even have a separate branch of the judicial system that deals with them.

I'm still waiting for the "you were stupid" law.

"You got drunk, drove home in a tornado, drove your car into a low water crossing and it stalled. Then you got out and got swept downstream a mile? No, you don't get to sue anybody because the sign was blown down by the storm."

No. That didn't actually happen. Really. :)

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If Palin can kill a moose in cold blood, skin it and brag about it, and authorize aerial shootings of wolves - a truly sociopathic, bloodthirsty pursuit - I have no doubt she has no conscience at all with regard to the appropriate use of money. . . .

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
If Palin can kill a moose in cold blood, skin it and brag about it, and authorize aerial shootings of wolves - a truly sociopathic, bloodthirsty pursuit - I have no doubt she has no conscience at all with regard to the appropriate use of money. . . .

Well, there's a random bit of hyperbole.

Skipping over the whole "aerial shooting of wolves" thing, as that is a debate for another several threads (assuming the authorization was made for "sociopathic, bloodthirsty" reasons is leap enough, let alone equating them with the action itself.

Equating a hunter with a thief is just a bit odd, logically.

That said, the Gov. is a "full on" politician. Creative financing is not an unheard of option.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, there's a random bit of hyperbole.

Skipping over the whole "aerial shooting of wolves" thing, as that is a debate for another several threads (assuming the authorization was made for "sociopathic, bloodthirsty" reasons is leap enough, let alone equating them with the action itself.

Equating a hunter with a thief is just a bit odd, logically.

That said, the Gov. is a "full on" politician. Creative financing is not an unheard of option.

It's not hyperbole at all. Look it up. The bottom line is that it's perfectly reasonable to observe a pattern of behavior that is clearly insensitive to humanitarian ethics - in this example supporting the shooting and consequent agony of animals for no reason other than bloodthirsty sport - and make an educated assumption that the pattern with regard to that individual will continue in all aspects of life other than his/her particular dynasty . . . .

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's nothing educated about taking a legal and popular sport and making the leap that because you hunt you have no regard for any aspect of life.

It's not popular. You think the aerial killing of wolves is popular?? And legal just barely. What kind of society do you want?? A society that takes its wrath out on what amounts to wild canines because they can't fight back?? I mean, God help us. . . .

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The major points about this current flap are two:

1. Sarah Palin still needs to be in the news, 24/7 if she can make it happen.

2. She was Governor of the state. Shouldn't we expect the Governor of the state to know what the laws are?

caw