Prophesy. . . .

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
But what about for me? When I am confident among people of similar intent to resolve just about any conflict through communication, why should we have an external authority when our internal order is strong enough?
What happens when another group decides your resources look like a tasty treat, and its members show up with weapons to take them? I suspect you'd take the pacifistic route and yield your resources. That's good and honest. Really. At least you could console yourself with the fact that you're morally superior. But you'd likely end up subjugated anyway. I just don't think you'd enjoy that.

It doesn't?
Indeed. It really doesn't. Consumerism (and its good buddy, materialism) could exist in the absence of an omnipresent authority. Likewise, consumerism could be absent from a large society with an authoritarian government. They're just ideas.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Highways built by whom?

Stocks traded on what?
In case you haven't looked lately, the highway system is falling apart because governments didn't maintain maintenance reserves like private concerns would to protect their investment. Oh, and the stock market is actually a private concern, although it's heavy regulated by government. At least that prevents somebody like Bernie Madoff from ripping people off.

Oh, wait...

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
What happens when another group decides your resources look like a tasty treat, and its members show up with weapons to take them?

You're assuming that must happen. Or that we'd have resources which would look tasty to another civilization. Yeah, come in here and take my house and food and books, you stupid proton.

I suspect you'd take the pacifistic route and yield your resources.

That would depend. What if we sat on them? Couldn't we appeal to conscience? Or are we talking about barking dogs in human form? If we decided to fight wouldn't we die anyway? These hypothetical situations are less useful than, say, asking about child abuse or something similar.

At least you could console yourself with the fact that you're morally superior.

Superiority-- yes, that's the ground I stand on.

But you'd likely end up subjugated anyway. I just don't think you'd enjoy that.

So it's subjugation to invaders, subjugation to a government, or fight to the death for the few resources that are pleasing to me and a small number of people?

Consumerism (and its good buddy, materialism)

First off: these two are not so closely-connected as you might think. For example, I'm a materialist for the most part, though I pay some attention to matters (pun) of emotion or spirit. But materials serve me I do not serve them. They bring me pleasure, in my body, and I don't think that has anything to do with consumerism -- I will say that, clearly, consumerism can't exist without materialism, but that doesn't mean they're buddies.

could exist in the absence of an omnipresent authority.

I'll concede that point.

AMC

Last edited:

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
You're assuming that must happen. Or that we'd have resources which would look tasty to another civilization. Yeah, come in here and take my house and food and books, you stupid proton.
Exactly. Lots of people are stupid.

Suppose (and this is hypothetical, I realize) there are societies out there whose conflict-resolution rules involve exiling people who violate the society's rules. Before long, yet another society develops composed of people who have little or no regard for social rules. Call them bandits. Maybe they don't want to till fields, don't want to plant, don't want to weed, don't want to harvest, etc.. Thus, they steal their food instead. With force when necessary.

I really don't think that's an unreasonable hypothetical situation. It's just one of many possible situations, and I believe the historical record contains innumerable instances thereof.

That would depend. What if we sat on them? Couldn't we appeal to conscience? Or are we talking about barking dogs in human form? If we decided to fight wouldn't we die anyway? These hypothetical situations are less useful than, say, asking about child abuse or something similar.
Maybe. But sitting on them is a form of force application; it's merely nonlethal. Your version of pacifism may allow for that. Others might not.

In theory, since we're discussing hypotheticals anyway, yeah, you could survive an armed conflict. Depends on the size/skill/training of your military force. But would it be worth it?

I'm starting to wonder if we've suddenly swapped positions...

Superiority-- yes, that's the ground I stand on.
Those are my words, not yours. I feel that your surrender would be morally (and ethically, while we're at it) superior. You don't have to accept my judgement.

So it's subjugation to invaders, subjugation to a government, or fight to the death for the few resources that are pleasing to me and a small number of people?
Is this what they call false dilemma. (Or in this case, trilemma!)

First off: these two are not so closely-connected as you might think. For example, I'm a materialist for the most part, though I pay some attention to matters (pun) of emotion or spirit. But materials serve me I do not serve them. They bring me pleasure, in my body, and I don't think that has anything to do with consumerism -- I will say that, clearly, consumerism can't exist without materialism, but that doesn't mean they're buddies.
I'm not convinced, but I'd be willing to listen to more arguments in this vein.

Last edited:

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Then again, maybe we could be nice like the bonobos and fuck all the time. Wouldn't that be fun?

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
Suppose (and this is hypothetical, I realize) there are societies out there whose conflict-resolution rules involve exiling people who violate the society's rules. Before long, yet another society develops composed of people who have little or no regard for social rules. Call them bandits. Maybe they don't want to till fields, don't want to plant, don't want to weed, don't want to harvest, etc.. Thus, they steal their food instead. With force when necessary.

And why would it be necessary to steal when a group might give to them willingly? I suppose then there's the problem of giving too much, too often, so much that our-own-selves are sacrificed in the process.

But there is a logical fallacy with these people: if they steal by force then they work for their food.

I really don't think that's an unreasonable hypothetical situation.

No, and it happens in the US too-- we learn that laws are not preventive more so than retributive.

Maybe. But sitting on them is a form of force application; it's merely nonlethal.

It's merely nonviolent. Let's say, though, that we've had enough of the BS from "bandits" -- my personal ethics/morality aside -- is there a reasonable chance we could defend ourselves successfully anyway? I highly doubt it. With a government in place, we have external laws that says stealing and killing is wrong and that there are punishments for violating such laws, which the police enforce.

Again, my personal moral stance aside, why couldn't we police and defend ourselves, our dignity, our wellbeing, our internal order, with necessary force?

And let's say it's necessary to do so or else we face death without dignity. I'd go with death-with-dignity and small-chance of survival and likely go on lamenting we live on The Planet of the Apes (if I survived).

Most people I know do not own the necessary weapons to defend their own property -- but hypothetically speaking, if a group of people came to my grandmother's house in the sticks, during the middle of the night, wearing masks, seeking to steal all her stuff, what can a government do for her in this situation? She'll never catch the people, never get her stuff back. It's a similar hypothetical situation. Same stuff happens in cities: you can get mugged on the street and never catch the criminal, never get your stuff back, and still face the same dangers.

I contend that preparation for such circumstances (ie, stockpiling weapons, combat training) leads to their usage and not always in the ways one wishes to use them-- that is, against one another.

Is this what they call false dilemma. (Or in this case, trilemma!)

If so, may you also provide more options. I gathered those initial options from our posts.

AMC

Last edited:

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
I don't actually want concession. I'm always curious about things.

We were speaking generally and I was thinking specifically. Consumerism and authority do not have anything essential to do with the other; but in the US, I argue they are inextricable.

AMC

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Dyson Sphere: Its a sphere around a star. Basically, you build it to have a circumference roughly equal to that of Earth's orbit. The surface area is equal to almost 600 BILLION Earths, and you have infinite solar energy. Build another sphere closer to the star, one that lets light through but catches radiation and turns it into energy somehow, and you've got that energy harnessed.

You can then use it any number of ways, and with this space, we could give every human on earth 600 Earth's to play around on.

Course, by then, we'd either have way way more humans...or way way less.

Either way, its a perfect place to build a utopia! I mean, it'd be way easier to just walk away from anyone who pisses you off, walk away.

Now, you don't NEED a dyson sphere for this kind of utopia. Cheap and easy space travel could work as well. If anything, it might even work better...as, um, a Dyson Sphere would be pretty dizzying and moutons unless it was designed well.

Hmm

Then again, if you BUILD something like that, you'd want to make it pretty and nice to live in, at least...

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
The reason I know Anarchy is a pipe dream is simple logical deduction.

Humans began under a system of anarchy and evolved into what we have today. Every single culture on this planet, from Tribes in Africa, Europe, the Americas, China, etc. etc. have developed a system of laws to follow. Why?

Statistically speaking, if anarchy was so great, wouldn't there be some anarchy states? Why, out of the TENS OF THOUSANDS of cultures on this planet are there no anarchy states that are representative of the Utopia that many on this site or sure would result?

My opinion stems from my association with the very best and the very worst of Man. I've met people who can walk on water and I've met others who would rape and kill your daughter right in front of you. It is the latter that concerns me. The 'evil' that is in the hearts of us all would thrive under a system of Anarchy.

And lets for one moment get away from the 'evil' people argument. There are good people who have conflicts that cannot be resolved all the time.

*sigh*

When there is no system in place, you will subject an entire population to a Survivor's version of the Prisoner's Dilemma

With all the greedy, selfish, manipulative, evil, slimy, sneaky, etc. etc. people out there I think it is incredibly naive to think that anarchy can work.

The only system in which Anarchy 'may' work is one in which there are infinite resources avialable to all. I think this is what Zoombie has alluded to. I can concieve of Anarchy working under this model.

Otherwise, I cannot. And infinite resources DOES NOT EQUAL evenly distributed resources.

Mel...

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Okay

Infinite resources AND evenly distributed ones AND perfect self defense AND near infinite space.

That's all we need!

Should be a piece of cake, I'll get back to you in two thousand years.