Map abbreviation help

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I have been researching Baltimore for a story I'm working on (this story is killing me, by the way).

I have an 1848 map of Bal'mer, and it has some places of interest (such as the Washington Monument and the Assembly Rooms). I am, however, a little puzzled by the abbreviations used for two of the places:

D__o Place and D__o Stores

In case it isn't clear, the abbreviations give the first and last letter of the word.

These two places are close together, near the Exchange and the Customs House. These are all set up right by the Harbor. I'm assuming D_o is the same word in both instances. I just don't know what it stands for. Is there a generic term it might stand for? Something to do with shipping or commerce? Or is it a specific place name?

Does anyone have any ideas? It's much appreciated.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My guess is that it would be a proper name. And one familiar to residents, so that the abbreviation would be enough. Could 'Stores' mean a storehouse or warehouse? Does 'Place' seem to indicate a street? Or perhaps a park or square? On a map I found 'Place' appears to be at the corner of Lombard and High Streets. Could that help you narrow it down?

MM

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
I think I found the map that you're referring to --it's Do (with a dot under the o?)

Do. can be an abbreviation for 'ditto'. So if this is the same 1848 map, it could be referring to the name above.

1 Washington Monument
2 Battle Monument
3 Exhange
4 Do. Place (eg Exchange Place --there is a location called 'Exchange Place' on later maps)
4 Custom House
5 Do. Stores (eg Custom House Stores, perhaps a storage location for properties awaiting inspection by customs?) etc, etc

I'm not 100% but that looks like an abbreviation, not a hashed out interior of the word (like in Regency gossips rags when they might say 'The Duke of W---n' as a coy illusion to the Duke of Wellington)

Last edited:

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
"do" does stand for ditto. Is it a capital D and small o or both the same on the map? Puma

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a capital D, with a small o in a raised position, and a period under the o and next to the D.

As a matter of possible interest: the Vigilant Fire Company built a fire house on the corner of Lombard and High in 1848, which also included a library. The article I saw said the fire house is still in use as station number 3.

MM

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Thank you, everyone!

sa_ remo_ave, it's definitely a hashed out interior. It follows the pattern of words like library, which ends up as Lib_y.

Hm, I hadn't thought of "ditto." I did think "stores" probably meant warehouse, since I don't think "store" was used in the sense of "shop" in the 1840's. It could definitely be "Exchange Place" and "Customs Stores". I'm not 100%, but that seems pretty reasonable.

I meant to include a link to the map (whoops!).