Canajan, eh?

MeanMachine

Newbie; Hangin' around.
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, fellow Canadians!

I'm an Acadian from the East Coast, so I never did the Eh thing.

TamMac

Potato-eater.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tamthewriter.blogspot.ca
Hi everyone! I'm a westcoasty, but I was raised in Rockies and can do a good mountain accent if occasion arises! I don't think I'm too much of an "eh"er, though.

theDolphin

Aquarius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrockwell.com
Currently in Streetsville, born in Brampton, lived in the GTA most of my life although was in Kingston for two dreadful years with the ex. *shudders*

Hiya! We're quite close then actually! I'm in Mississauga too, just north of Port Credit. :)

American that also fell in love with a Canadian! Moved near Windsor, Ontario a few years ago.
I become a landed Permanent Resident on Tuesday so I am an Honourary Canadian.

Congrats! I've been a permanent resident for about 8 years now and love it. :)

Hello, fellow Canadians!

I'm an Acadian from the East Coast, so I never did the Eh thing.

Welcome! Haven't gotten out to the East Coast yet, but hear it's amazing. My inlaws go out to PEI every year with friends.

Hi everyone! I'm a westcoasty, but I was raised in Rockies and can do a good mountain accent if occasion arises! I don't think I'm too much of an "eh"er, though.

Hiya! My daughter's out in BC now too in Okanagan for her first semester at UBC. She's loving it.

KSelby

Registered
Reaction score
Toronto here. And no, I never, ever, EVER say "eh!". Probably would wash my own mouth out with soap if I did!

DustyBooks

Registered
Reaction score

There's a mountain accent? I need to pay more attention!

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Hiya! My daughter's out in BC now too in Okanagan for her first semester at UBC. She's loving it.
I used to live in Kelowna - 1999 to 2003. Back then, there was OUC - Okanagan University College - which is no longer operational. I see from their website that UBC's Kelowna campus opened in 2005. Did UBC take over OUC's campus?

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Born and raised in Toronto, lived there until I was 26 and then moved to Japan. Never went back to live there except to visit my mother (now deceased).

For the record, I still say 'zee' and not 'zed', the product of having an American mother. My late father was born in TO, and used to say 'filem' instead of 'film'. I never knew why....

TamMac

Potato-eater.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tamthewriter.blogspot.ca
Dustybooks: It's mostly found in phrases like the infamous "so I says to her, I says...." but aside from the local -isms there is a certain rhythm to it.

theDolphin: I hope you're daughter's enjoying the Okanagan!

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Lately, I've noticed that in Edmonton it's more of a "hey" thing.

"We should go check out the new Timbits flavor later, hey?"

Anyone else noticed this strange quirk of geography? I used to think my niece was the only one who did it, but the last year I've met three or four "hey"-ers, most from Edmonton and its environs.

xamich

Sescha Young
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seschayoung.blogspot.ca
I'm Canadian! Sort of. Recently moved to Ontario with my family for Permanent Residency and trying to get used to everything. I'm getting used to the way things work 'round here, and have to admit to a little culture shock. :)

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I'm Canadian! Sort of. Recently moved to Ontario with my family for Permanent Residency and trying to get used to everything. I'm getting used to the way things work 'round here, and have to admit to a little culture shock. :)

Welcome to Canada. Where are you from? Some English speaking country I presume, or you've had a lot of education.

I'd come on out and say hi, but I'm on the other end, and it's kind of a big country.

:)

I see you write Urban Fantasy, you should drop by the SF/F SYW boards if you want to get some feedback. It's very active with a lot of good critiquers.

Oh, and by the way, I don't know how serious your profile is, but landing an agent should not be a priority for anyone. Speaking as someone who's had an agent, what you want is a good agent. I can't venture to say which proportion is good and which aren't, but from experience, first and second-hand, I would say the majority aren't ones you should strive for.

Last edited:

xamich

Sescha Young
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seschayoung.blogspot.ca
Originally? Korea, but I've been living in Bangkok before the big move. It gets really complicated, and this is actually the first country I've lived in where English is the official language. It is very...strange. Haha, after all these years!

I've been quietly lurking in the forums, reading up on information and trying to fix my work before I consider getting it critiqued, but its been really helpful already by giving me insights on what to fix.

Regarding agents, I said it in half jest. I've been working over the x'th revision of my novel, where I feel confident enough to consider it worth posting. I went through this "I don't need to submit my work to beta readers outside my family and friends" but realized the error of my overinflated thinking, and now it feels like getting an agent is the light at the end of a very long and masochistic tunnel. :) so I put it as my goal because I'm trying to focus on small steps!

Thank you for your welcome :)

PowerWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm John and I live in New Brunswick.

I haven't been writing fiction very long, three years, but I have written much over the years. I am working on novel number three, first revision. My gut says I have three winning stories, but the right side of my brain slaps me into reality. I've very recently settled on some major issues -- voice/pov, major plot pillars, and character motivations.

I'm now claiming to write 21st century fiction Write the book you want to read? I love mainstream books like The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, Tom Clancy's earlier works, and much of Ken Follett's stories. But honestly, these stories leave me feeling empty. I feel almost no empathy towards the characters.

And then there's the literary novel. I've been moved deeply by books such as Jeffrey Eugenides' Middlesex, Wroblewski's The Story Of Edgar Sawtelle, and Miram Toews' A Complicated Kindness. I fall hook, line, and sinker for the characters, but don't ask me what the stories were about. I had to force myself to read every one of them, yet in teh end I felt fully satisfied

So I decided to write books I want to read and make me feel satisfied -- compelling plots with deep characters. I think this 21st Century label fits what I'm writing.

John

JDMorgan

Learning More As Life Goes On
Registered
Reaction score
I'm Canadian too, eh! Nice to have our own group! Thanks!

PowerWriter

Registered
Reaction score
...Poetry Contest

The National Poetry Contest has come down to two semi-finalists, a Yale graduate and a Newfoundlander. They are given a single word then allowed two minutes to come up with a poem that contains the word.

The word they are given is 'TIMBUKTU '.

The Yale graduate steps up to the microphone and says

'SLOWLY ACROSS THE DESERT SAND
TREKKED A LONELY CARAVAN.
MEN ON CAMELS, TWO BY TWO
DESTINATION - TIMBUKTU '.

The crowd goes crazy! No way can the Newfie top that, they think.

The Newfoundlander calmly makes his way to the microphone and recites

'ME AND TIM A HUNTIN' WENT,
MET T'REE WHORES IN A POP-UP TENT.
DEY WAS T'REE, AND WE WAS TWO,
SO I BUCKED ONE, AND TIMBUKTU '!
The Newfie won hands down.

njmagas

Registered
Reaction score
Website
njmagas.wordpress.com
I'll add another pin somewhere around Vancouver. Born and raised on the west coast, I was. Then I promptly packed up and moved to Japan because I am not a soul who can sustain a healthy psyche waking up to the same goddamn monotone grey sky nine months out of the year.

Moonchild

I write fluff and that's OK.
Registered
Reaction score
Hello from the West Coast! I do say "eh?" but rarely, and I'm told it sounds more like "hey?" Been in Victoria for 17 years now (man, I'm old!)--yes, the grey of Van and Vic can get to you after eight months sans change... But when the sun shines (as it is right now!), it does so splendidly and oh-so-gorgeous reflected on the sea.

I love my home. :hi:

Ann-Marita

Registered
Reaction score
Nova Scotia born and raised, now living in Newfoundland and Labrador. I say "eh" all the time!

Question for all you Canadian writers: do you submit your writing in Canada only or do you try the US market as well? From what I've read, it's not really necessary to get an agent in Canada, but you should in the US. Any thoughts on this?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I have 2 novels published in USA and 1 published in Canada. My agent is working in Toronto for a New York agency's satellite...she's submitting my work to USA publishers out of the NY office.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Hello from the West Coast! I do say "eh?" but rarely, and I'm told it sounds more like "hey?" Been in Victoria for 17 years now (man, I'm old!)--yes, the grey of Van and Vic can get to you after eight months sans change... But when the sun shines (as it is right now!), it does so splendidly and oh-so-gorgeous reflected on the sea.

I love my home. :hi:

Greetings, fellow Victoria resident!