Songs that make you cry

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Remember The Feeling by Chicago, from the Chicago 17 album, Side 1.

Not very many other songs bring tears to my eyes the way that one does.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, a good rockin' song, but I'm wondering how it gets in to THIS thread, then I keep reading:

I never heard that story! What I remember when that album first came out (or perhaps even before it was available in the record stores) was that it was a big deal as it was Lennon's first album in five years (the time period he described in "watching the wheels" where he dropped out of being a big star) and the radio stations wanted to play it, but the record company hadn't announce what the (first) single from the album was going to be, so the local station played maybe two or three diffferent songs from it, one was <grab your Kleenex> the sentimental ballad "Beautiful Boy."

BB...Yeah that was a good song with that great line."Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans". John and Paul wrote alot of stuff back and forth in their solo careers, the most obvious being "How do you sleep" by John on the Imagine album, but "Starting Over" was John's make up song to Paul. Anothr clue was the reference to "making love" the Beatles used to refer to their music as stimulating as making love. So the line in the song that go's "Every day we used to make it love, why can't we be making love, nice and easy, is a total reference to the Beatles days. Yes I'm an old Beatle freak but I can't help it, take pity....

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Sarah McLaughlin's "In the Arms of the Angel", Billy Vera and the Beaters "At This Moment", and a good honkin' bagpipe rendition of "Amazing Grace", because it's so great at a funeral.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Free As a Bird--Beatles, I think...maybe just credited to Paul and John.

"Whatever happened to the life that we once knew...can we really live without each other?"

In case you don't know...composed way after the split, after John Lennon died, with a recording of John's voice and added vocals from Paul.

It was recorded by Paul, Ringo, and George for the Anthology - donated by Yoko from Johns archives. Paul asked George Martin to help produce the thing which was way of beat. (do to the fact that John was still working on it) Paul had a devil of a time trying to match the add on parts of the other three vocals, but it turned out pretty good.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
It was recorded by Paul, Ringo, and George for the Anthology - donated by Yoko from Johns archives. Paul asked George Martin to help produce the thing which was way of beat. (do to the fact that John was still working on it) Paul had a devil of a time trying to match the add on parts of the other three vocals, but it turned out pretty good.

There ya go. Thanks. :)

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
Time to Say Goodbye by Sarah Brightman
O Mio Babbino Caro by Sarah Brightman
I Will Remember You by Sara McLachlan
Breathing by Lifehouse
Verdi Cries by 10,000 Maniacs
Blessed by Martina McBride

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Tears in Heaven - by Eric Clapton because he wrote it about the death of his four year old son, Connor. Makes me cry every damn time...

Would you know my name
If I saw you in heaven
Will it be the same
If I saw you in heaven
I must be strong, and carry on
Cause I know I don't belong
Here in heaven

Would you hold my hand
If I saw you in heaven
Would you help me stand
If I saw you in heaven
I'll find my way, through night and day
Cause I know I just can't stay
Here in heaven

Time can bring you down
Time can bend your knee
Time can break your heart
Have you begging please
Begging please

(instrumental)

Beyond the door
There's peace I'm sure.
And I know there'll be no more...
Tears in heaven

Would you know my name
If I saw you in heaven
Will it be the same
If I saw you in heaven
I must be strong, and carry on
Here in heaven

Here in heaven

I'm such a weenie about this song that I'm tearing up just reading the lyrics...

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
"Butterfly Kisses," by Bob Carlisle. Reminds me of my dad and getting married and leaving home and those conflicting emotions that went with it and... ::sob!!!::

Also, "Somewhere Out There," from an American Tale. I seriously can't even hear the melody to that on the radio without tears coming into my eyes. It's like this weird combo of childhood nostalgia with that sense of longing and separation.

A lot of the songs people have already listed are really touching to me as well. I find it interesting that so many of them are country songs, or at least borderline country. I'm a big country music fan but I know lots of people just despise it (seems you either love it or hate it). I admit country can be corny, but when it gets it right, it really gets it right.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
for rock

the list would have to include "long may you run" by the canada man. "4 strong winds" by him too--that one might be country. and clapton's "bell bottom blues." we played "morning has broken" at my husband's funeral. "dust in the wind" is another contender for #1. those lyrics are awesome. who does that one? could it be.......Kansas? --s6

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
"Butterfly Kisses," by Bob Carlisle. Reminds me of my dad and getting married and leaving home and those conflicting emotions that went with it and... ::sob!!!::

Also, "Somewhere Out There," from an American Tale. I seriously can't even hear the melody to that on the radio without tears coming into my eyes. It's like this weird combo of childhood nostalgia with that sense of longing and separation.

A lot of the songs people have already listed are really touching to me as well. I find it interesting that so many of them are country songs, or at least borderline country. I'm a big country music fan but I know lots of people just despise it (seems you either love it or hate it). I admit country can be corny, but when it gets it right, it really gets it right.

A good country tear-jerker I can think of, is called (I think) Three Wooden Crosses. Every time I hear the ending, where the preacher says "And God bless the preacher who gave that blood-stained Bible to my Mama," I just start to tear up. I mean, that part combined with the fact his Mom was a prostitute in the song, just fills me with such emotion that I cannot hold it in. To me, that song is one of the most beautiful pieces of music in the world today.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Ramstein Air Base...the airport...my brother-in-law arriving home from 2nd tour of duty...

Suddenly, cheers rent the air...dozens upon dozens of uniformed soldiers emerge from the gates...some on crutches, most with desert colored packs thrown over their shoulder...bedraggled, but smilling...

And this played over the P.A. system:

...And I’m proud to be an American where at least I know I’m free.
And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
And I’d gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S.A.

It was a long time before my face was dry...

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Was in the commissary, grocery shopping.
Early morning. Kids just dropped off at school. No better time to pick up a few items.
It's peaceful, this time of day. Store's nearly empty.

Musics' a bit louder over the P.A. in the morning...shelves being hurriedly stocked from midnight crew anxious for quitin' time.

I don't listen to country. Kinda blocked out most of what was playing during the country music countdown.

Then a male voice twanged. Deep. Russet. His opening line pulled me in. Made me stop my cart. Kinda tilt my head.
You see, my boy was in Iraq. And I had just mailed him a letter the previous day, wondering if he'd think my words/worry stupid.
Mom-ish, if you will.

And now this man was singing...and it was as if my boy were telling me from afar....it's okay, ma, you keep sending your letters...

My Dear Son, it is almost June,
I hope this letter catches up to you, and finds you well
Its been dry but they’re calling for rain,
And everything's the same ol’ same in Johnsonville
Your stubborn 'ol Daddy ain’t said too much,
But I’m sure you know he sends his love,
And she goes on,
In a letter from home

I hold it up and show my buddies,
Like we ain’t scared and our boots ain’t muddy, and they all laugh,
Like there’s something funny bout’ the way I talk,
When I say: "Mama sends her best y’all"
I fold it up an' put it in my shirt,
Pick up my gun an' get back to work
An' it keeps me driving me on,
Waiting on letters from home...

Lyrics by John Michael Montgomery

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
I have a box.
Okay, more like a pirate's chest.
My children know it's never to opened.

Until I die.

It's their box. Full of memories. So that when I'm gone, they will not grieve over the death, but laugh, gasp, grab hold of one another as mirth shakes them, for I've saved all their antics, their out-the-mouth-of-babes sayings, snapshots, art work...that first handprint from kindergarten.

And this song, on CD, my dedication to them, for what they meant to me during my life:

Bette Middler...Wind Beneath My Wings

The lyrics are profound, yet convey all.

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
The Power of One by Bomshel
Don't Wanna Miss a Thing by Aerosmith
I second Fast Car by Tracy Chapman
The Freshmen by The Verve Pipe
Name by The Goo-Goo Dolls
Goodnight Elizabeth and Round Here by Counting Crows

There are lots more - I've got lots of emotion tied to the songs that make me cry. Some are benchmarks for points in my life, tied inexorably to events that shaped who I am, or memories that I just can't let go of.

spanner3

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.Arnpriors.me.uk
Into The West by Annie Lennox always makes me cry. I used it for a tribute to one of my dogs. Also

Song: Lisbeth scott - where

On this half lit day
With your crown beneath your wing
Every word just echoes
And the empty world sings

Where have you gone my feather light heart?
I never imagined I could leave.

In the glistening
Of the lost and open sky
Tiny piece of you sits
Simple wish waits for reply

You mustn´t forget what love can see.

If you past this use this link, you'll see why.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_4vM_sot6w

I hardly ever listen to music. It stops me getting on with my work.

Maggie

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Into The West by Annie Lennox always makes me cry. I used it for a tribute to one of my dogs. Also

Song: Lisbeth scott - where

On this half lit day
With your crown beneath your wing
Every word just echoes
And the empty world sings

I never imagined I could leave.

In the glistening
Of the lost and open sky
Tiny piece of you sits
Simple wish waits for reply

You mustn´t forget what love can see.

If you past this use this link, you'll see why.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_4vM_sot6w

I hardly ever listen to music. It stops me getting on with my work.

Maggie

Thought you might want to know that Peter Jackson and his wife asked Annie to write that song in memory/tribute of their young friend (whom you can see in the appendexis on Return of The King extended version) who died before the movie went to final print. I dishonor him by not remembering his name, but he was very young (19?), and suffered from a deadly illness. He was on the set many times; you would never know from his great disposition, that he suffered. I believe he also created a short film showcased in the Rerturn of The King appendixies, but now I'd have to pull out all those DVD's and take a look. Could swear by it...

I think you used it accordingly, as it is actually a song saying goodbye, and meant for those very close to our hearts.

I am so sorry about your dog. They become our best friend, as well as one of the kids.

kb

Last edited:

spanner3

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.Arnpriors.me.uk
I have all the extended versions. If you can remember his name, I'll look for it.
All my dogs die in my arms, which is why the song had such a huge affect on me. I can understand now that I know why it was written, the reason it affected me so much.
My dogs are my working partners, as well as part of my family. They live, eat, work and sleep with me (well, on the bed)

Maggie

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Maggie,
I don't know his name, but it's in the extended version appendixies (sp?) of Return of The King.

I have to step out, but when I return, I'll have mi' daughter help me find it, and then I can be more specific. I think it's there that they also speak of the song, and it's true meaning.

It was very poignant that they won an award for it, and mentioned the young man's name towards the end of their thank you speech that long ago night at the Academy Awards.
Which I watched.
And cheered.
Jeeze...you would think I know them personally...I'm lame.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Maggie,
Okay...grabbed my extended version...pull out your booklet that comes with it.
Open to center page. Look to the far right.
His name is Cameron Duncan.

Cameron Duncan
The Inspiration for 'Into The West'

And a bit lower:
Cameron Duncan
Documentary

Okay...gotta run...

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Strange Fruit by Billie Holiday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4ZyuULy9zs

S'funny how it's not the expected heartbreaking love songs that make me cry - it's the true stories that put a lump in my throat.
This song is about lynching - an utterly gorgeous song with some amazing imagery. The expression on Billie's face as she sings - will someone please pass the hankies?

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
I just listened to the Buckley version minutes ago. You're so right. The Cohen version even more so. Both are killer. Buckley sighs at the beginning...I sigh at the end.

Another one I forgot! I love that song. Though I think the John Cale version is the one I like best...

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Another one I forgot! I love that song. Though I think the John Cale version is the one I like best...

We might have to start a separate poll about which version of the song people like best. I'd have to say John Cale, but probably because it's the first version I heard.