Return SASE ???

Umgowa

Registered
Reaction score
Some magazines require you to send in your completed manuscript via snail mail . . . they often tell you to include a SASE (self addressed stamped envelope) if you want your manuscript returned if it's rejected. My question is: Is it considered a mark of naivete and unsophistication to include a SASE?? Should I just relax and know that if they don't use my work, they'll just shred it or throw it out? Something deep down inside me feels uneasy with my work just floating around out there. Could one of you more experienced freelancers put this in perspective for me? Thanks.

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
I usually end up sending the SASE for their response. Honestly, I don't care what they do with the manuscript.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
What jeffo said. The SASE also usually is for the response. Include it.

NinjaFingers

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennpovey.imagination-evolution.net
If you don't include an SASE, ninety-nine percent of these people will not respond.

If you don't want the manuscript returned, then include a number #10 for the response and state in the cover letter that the manuscript is disposable, or mark the manuscript DISPOSABLE on the first page.

They will shred or recycle it. It's not a good idea to re-use copies, as they get messed up in their passage through the mail.

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
I include a SASE when I want a response. Most of the time, it's a form letter, but every once in a while, an editor will take the time to tell you how you missed the mark in your query. I've found that feedback to be most helpful.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I started using a pre-paid postcard years ago, with a "Sorry, but this is not for us" check box and a "We love this, call us ASAP for a big, fat check" check box. I asked them just to toss the manuscript and return the postcard. I got some with scribbled comments, most with a Sorry check mark and quite a few with a Call Us check mark and the words "big, fat check" edited out. :)

I haven't been asked for a hard copy in a billenium though. Of course, I write computer tech articles so it's expected that email is the format of choice for everything.

Jeff

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Something deep down inside me feels uneasy with my work just floating around out there.
This feeling has no basis in fact. Ignore it, because no magazine anywhere will ever steal your work or allow it to be stolen or plagiarized. Nobody in the business will either. The simple thought of doing it is a career-ender and sometimes a company-ender.

Jeff

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Include a #10 envelope as SASE. A postcard is not a good idea because what the editor wants to send back may be a request, or an idea, or the possibility of a different article. A postcard doesn't let any of this happen.

And I have had editors use my SASE to send me a check.

SASE means Self-addressed, Stamped Envelope for a reason.

If they request it, send it.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...If you don't want the manuscript returned, then include a number #10 for the response and state in the cover letter that the manuscript is disposable, or mark the manuscript DISPOSABLE on the first page.

A #10 envelope with the least amount of postage affixed is enough to let them know you don't expect the manuscript to be returned. There's no need to state the obvious, especially by marking your manuscript as DISPOSABLE. That's a term better used for trash, which you don't want an editor inferring before she has a chance to make up her own mind.

NinjaFingers

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennpovey.imagination-evolution.net
Silver King, it's traditional to mark a manuscript you don't want returned that way. It's not done as much these days. I generally indicate in the cover letter, but I don't see it making an editor think the article or story is trash.

And yes, send an envelope. I often have them send back the first page of the manuscript - some editors find this faster than noting what the piece was on the form. (Pet peeve: Editors who don't indicate what it was. I don't always remember what I sent where and it's much quicker to process rejections if they say which story it was...this is more common in email rejections than postal ones, mind).

PortableHal

Not-so-new
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marsneedswriters.com
Silver King, it's traditional to mark a manuscript you don't want returned that way. It's not done as much these days. I generally indicate in the cover letter, but I don't see it making an editor think the article or story is trash.

And yes, send an envelope.

I've done the same in the past. (Now I self-pub and save my SASE.) The last couple of times I indicated I did not want the manuscript returned, the publishers paid the freight and returned them to me on their dime.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, there's no need to mark a manuscript as disposable, if you include a #10. Editors aren't stupid, and know you don't expect them to cram a manuscript in that small envelope.