Status
Not open for further replies.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
This is from the introduction to the Mammoth Book of Best New Horror edited by Stephen Jones...

"Whereas the British will invariably tell you straight what they think of something, many Americans would rather not say anything negative (presumably under the cultural delusion that 'everybody's a winner'). Well, everybody's not. Just because you've written a story, published a book or produced a piece of art, it does not automatically mean you that you have achieved anything special (no matter how many self-help manuals and reality TV talent shows tell you differently)."

This point is in relation to a friend of Jones who asked him his opinion on a new dvd project (Jones said he liked the acting but a few other issues let the project down. The friend wasn't happy about this). Would you say the point in the difference between the UK and the US is true or is Jones generalising? Based on some of the replies in a couple of threads with a similar issue, I'm wondering if there's some truth to it.

The book is here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1849013721/?tag=absowrit-21

Last edited:

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Whew. I finally finished rolling on the floor laughing over the notion that Americans are afraid to say negative things. You shouldn't have asked that question so soon after a major election.

Nor was I aware of an American "cultural delusion" that everyone IS a winner. Maybe there's one that everyone CAN BE a winner. It's often phrased: "In America, anyone can be President." Or, more realistically, "Anyone can aspire to be President." (Though as the system works now, the desire to be President might be proof of insanity. ;) )

As for the contention that not all works of art are special, that depends on the definition of "special." Talk about subjectivity.

The generalization cited is about as big as the planet Jupiter. That's all.

Last edited:

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
If it is an Americanism to think everyone can be a winner, it's spreading over here to join MacDonalds, Starbucks and all the other odious things we've imported from the USA*. Remember the hooha about school sports days not having winners anymore?

*Not to imply that all things from the USA, or even all things we've imported from there are odious.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Whew. I finally finished rolling on the floor laughing over the notion that Americans are afraid to say negative things. You shouldn't have asked that question so soon after a major election.

Haha. Fair point. :D

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I do think it's a generalisation but I can see some small degree of truth to it. Americans strike me as friendlier and more positive than us Brits so they're more likely to go with the idea of saying nothing if you can't say something nice.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Americans strike me as friendlier and more positive than us Brits

Less snarky and cynical for sure lol. I know what you mean, especially in person as opposed to on the net.

But I'm not sure you can say that about a whole country, either way. Especially one with so many people in as the US.

Sevvy

Spec Fic Writer
Registered
Reaction score
There is some truth to the generalization, or rather I can see where he is getting that idea from. We have the "American Dream," where if you just work hard enough you can have that nice house with the big yard and 2.5 kids. Then there are things like stopping the use of red pens for correcting papers because it makes kids feel bad. And there are some parts of America where people really do seem to be friendlier than others (I'm from NY, but I lived in Utah for a few years, and Utahns are waaaaay nicer than NYers).

I would say that while we do have the positive, "reach for the stars" attitude taught to us in schools, but I wouldn't say that we're friendlier. I think that just depends on the person.

RemusShepherd

Banned
Flounced
VPXI
Reaction score
Website
remus-shepherd.livejournal.com
There are a lot of different subcultures in America. In the midwest we have a tendency to be polite to the point of ridiculous euphemism. It's called "Minnesota Nice" in Minnesota -- they probably have different terms for it elsewhere.

On the other hand, New Yorkers or Texans are more likely to give you a blatant or blunt opinion. Don't make the mistake of thinking that the US is homogenous.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
We have the "American Dream," where if you just work hard enough you can have that nice house with the big yard and 2.5 kids.

My dream was always to fall into money, rent a flat in Paris, and share a cat with a neighbor.

BrooklynLee

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, if I may generalize about my own culture, I think the tendency in American is for people to be so self-confident that they often assume that something someone else achieved is easy and therefore belittle it. For example, I remember getting a poem published in a literary journal and telling a friend. He said, "that's nice but if I got my stuff published I would only do it in the big magazines, like the New Yorker or something." As the old song says, "Anything you can do, I can do better."

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Originally Posted by Sevvy
We have the "American Dream," where if you just work hard enough you can have that nice house with the big yard and 2.5 kids.

I keep knocking on doors, asking if I can have their leftover .5 of a kid. No one says yes.

Sometimes they call the cops.

jonbon.benjamin

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jonbonbenjamin.blogspot.com
I have worked quite a lot in America and i have to say i feel this is flipped reverse.

I find us Brits to usually be more nice (in the sense that we tend to say nothing at all rather than something nasty) where as Americans tend to say it as it is.

This is, of course, a generalisation. A big one at that.

JB

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I keep knocking on doors, asking if I can have their leftover .5 of a kid. No one says yes.

Sometimes they call the cops.

I was going to make a joke along these lines but couldn't think of a way to make a joke about half a child to not be in bad taste. :evil

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I was going to make a joke along these lines but couldn't think of a way to make a joke about half a child to not be in bad taste. :evil

An American wouldn't care about bad taste. My husband is the local expert on dead baby jokes.

The intro is pretty much horseshit, as we say around these here parts. There are proportionally as many blunt Americans as blunt Brits in my experience, and no matter what country you're in, you're going to be able to find the assholes. Just sayin'...

Sevvy

Spec Fic Writer
Registered
Reaction score
An American wouldn't care about bad taste. My husband is the local expert on dead baby jokes.

The intro is pretty much horseshit, as we say around these here parts. There are proportionally as many blunt Americans as blunt Brits in my experience, and no matter what country you're in, you're going to be able to find the assholes. Just sayin'...

I think it's the other way around; the a-holes usually find you. ^_~

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I do think it's a generalisation but I can see some small degree of truth to it. Americans strike me as friendlier and more positive than us Brits so they're more likely to go with the idea of saying nothing if you can't say something nice.
Nah. You're mistaking us with the Canadians.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Its a generalisation but with an element of truth to it. I have lived/worked in the UK and US and while the Brits tend to be more polite and less directly critical in polite settings, they are also less inclined to interpret criticism of a project as a personal attack. Generally speaking.

In scientific settings Brits are more likely to see active interogation of a new idea as positive engagement and support even if it is negative, Americans are more inclined to see the ratio of positive/negative utterances as an indication of your personal support/enthusiasm for the idea and take engagement as a given. Just in my experience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.