• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Blu Phi'er Publishing (Michael L. Bernoudy, Jr.)

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
They offered me a contract and after talking to the owner of the company and to Scott, plus three authors that have books out from them or about to be out I decided to go for it. It is a risk, I know, but somtimes you just have to take one. The owner of the company is dropping the whole 'cost sharing' option because Scott and his other editor Eric have made him realize that it was making his company look bad. So wish me luck guys.

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
I really don't get why an author would knowingly take a risk in choosing a publisher. Having looked at your publisher's web site I can only wish you lots and lots of luck and hope you don't need it.

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
I really don't get why an author would knowingly take a risk in choosing a publisher. Having looked at your publisher's web site I can only wish you lots and lots of luck and hope you don't need it.

Thank you EW.

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
Did you ask the other authors about their sales?

Yes. Someone is doing the marketing now and things have improved with him doing it. Scott(popeyesays) has talked to me and things are going good. Plus he is dropping the whole 'cost sharing' stuff because he realized that it gave his company a bad name. So wish me luck.

Last edited:

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Jimmy. You can't go wrong with Scott--he's totally straight up and talented. Heh, you have a nice little site like mine. Keep pumpin' that title--it looks good.

Tri

That means a lot to me coming from you Tri! Thank you.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure a well respected lawyer in Loiusiana would have a scam company for a front.

The following quote from a petition before the La. Supreme court might be of interest: “After hearing oral argument, reviewing the evidence, and considering the law, we conclude petitioner [Mr. Bernoudy] has failed to meet his burden of proving that he has “good moral character” to be admitted to the Louisiana State Bar Association . . . Accordingly, it is ordered that the application for admission is denied.”

That was back in 2003. And his webpage does not mention practice in Louisiana courts.

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
According to the practice's web page that I originally read he practiced both in Texas and Louisiana, and the practice was situated in Shreveport as late as February this year. It has since moved to Texas.

The Supreme Court of Louisiana directed the Bar Association to admit Mr. Bernoudy on his appeal:

The order can be found at:
http://www.lasc.org/opinions/2004/04OB2145.dis.bjj.pdf

Currently:
This Firm is Licensed to Handle cases in the Follwing Courts:

All Texas State Courts
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals

Regards,
Scott

Last edited:

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Currently:
This Firm is Licensed to Handle cases in the Follwing Courts:

All Texas State Courts
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals

No Louisiana state courts listed, even though he lives there. Apparently, he was not able to demonstrate to them that he was of "good moral character."

Popeyesays

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Julie,

What you are implying is legally actionable I am sure. The Louisiana State Supreme Court directed the Louisian Bar Association to admit Mr. Bernoudy to the bar. I cited the ruling on line in my above post.

I'll cite it again since you don't seem to read the comments:

This makes it amply clear that he WAS admitted to the Louisiana State Bar in 2004 upon the court ruling. The court found that Mr. Bernoudy had been denied membership when others who had histories of much more turbulent youth were admitted without question.

Regards,
Scott

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Julie,

What you are implying is legally actionable I am sure. The Louisiana State Supreme Court directed the Louisiana Bar Association to admit Mr. Bernoudy to the bar. I cited the ruling on line in my above post.

I'll cite it again since you don't seem to read the comments:

This makes it amply clear that he WAS admitted to the Louisiana State Bar in 2004 upon the court ruling. The court found that Mr. Bernoudy had been denied membership when others who had histories of much more turbulent youth were admitted without question.

Regards,
Scott

Quoting documents of the Supreme Court of La. is actionable? Come on. Anyway, what you linked to seems to be a dissenting opinion by one justice. The finding is here: http://search.lasc.org/isysquery/f21ee852-7ef2-4acb-b469-2bcf4eeed6fb/1/lines/785-815/ and here with more detail (from 2003): http://www.lasc.org/opinions/2003/02ob2470.pc.pdf

Last edited:

Popeyesays

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Julie,

Note the case numbers, the order to admit has a higher case number than either of the previous rulings. It's last, therefore the denial of membership was overturned.

Scott

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Julie,

Note the case numbers, the order to admit has a higher case number than either of the previous rulings. It's last, therefore the denial of membership was overturned.

Scott

Read it again. It's not an order to admit. It's an argument for admission by a justice. This is what an order to admit looks like: http://www.lasc.org/opinions/2004/04OB2430.pc.pdf The word ORDER appears all over the place.

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Which all has remarkably little to do with Blu Phi'er as a publisher.

The argument "Joe Smith is a great lawyer, therefore he'll be a great publisher!" is unconvincing. Equally, the argument "Joe Smith is a lousy lawyer, therefore he'll be a lousy publisher!" is unconvincing.

swordgirl

Registered
Reaction score
www.bluphier.com

THE SUBSIDY THING IS DROPPED...

After today,there is no longer a cost shared option on the front page nor is there one in the about us section, and they pay advances. They are small, however they are more than one dollar, and my expiriences have been fantastic. Plus, see reviews on the website, (not the Amazon ones) but the others. They have a Bram Stoker nominee writing for them. New buisness in publishing and learning. Her name is Tamara Wilhite.

DO THEY OFFER ADVANCES? (Yes)
DO THEY OFFER DISCOUNTS AND RETURNABILITY? (Yes) 55% discount and returnability.
DO THEY GET YOUR BOOK IN STORES? (yes) They offer a full feature cataloge both PDF and print and send them out regularly, also they go to the distribution center management of Borders, plus the managers of the Borders in every state that are event coordinators.
DO THEY HAVE A MARKETING TEAM? (yes) And they are constantly marketing, networking etc.
ARE THEY NEW IN THE GANE? (sure) Give them a chance people, they've just signed three more authors, and are trying their best. There are many small presses out there who don't even pay advances. This isn't xlibris or PA.

I had two signings last week in Borders books, the marketing director called me, left me know where and when the signings were to take place. The store had 30 copies of my novel. They also had attractive book marks and flyers waiting for me when I got there. The signings went well, didn't sell every copy but didn't have to bring my own. I can't say that for a lot of publishers. The big guys sure, but for a smaller press they are very good to start on.

Also too let you know, they have just signed a top notch illustrator who will be working on different variant covers. He has worked on comics and a few Cemetary Dance illustrations.

Last edited:

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com

The argument "Joe Smith is a great lawyer, therefore he'll be a great publisher!" is unconvincing. Equally, the argument "Joe Smith is a lousy lawyer, therefore he'll be a lousy publisher!" is unconvincing.

I think it had more to do with his not being admitted due to not having 'good moral character' as opposed to any efficiency as a lawyer. (i.e. if he doesn't have good enough moral character to be a lawyer he might not have good moral character in his literary enterprises).

Which, of course, brings up the question, isn't the very act of being a lawyer enough to demonstrate a lack of moral character?

abemorgantis

Zizban
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I think it had more to do with his not being admitted due to not having 'good moral character' as opposed to any efficiency as a lawyer. (i.e. if he doesn't have good enough moral character to be a lawyer he might not have good moral character in his literary enterprises).

Which, of course, brings up the question, isn't the very act of being a lawyer enough to demonstrate a lack of moral character?

Don't go bashing lawyers, please. It is off topic, old and inaccurate.

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
www.bluphier.com

THE SUBSIDY THING IS DROPPED...

After today,there is no longer a cost shared option on the front page nor is there one in the about us section, and they pay advances. They are small, however they are more than one dollar, and my expiriences have been fantastic. Plus, see reviews on the website, (not the Amazon ones) but the others. They have a Bram Stoker nominee writing for them. New buisness in publishing and learning. Her name is Tamara Wilhite.

DO THEY OFFER ADVANCES? (Yes)
DO THEY OFFER DISCOUNTS AND RETURNABILITY? (Yes) 55% discount and returnability.
DO THEY GET YOUR BOOK IN STORES? (yes) They offer a full feature cataloge both PDF and print and send them out regularly, also they go to the distribution center management of Borders, plus the managers of the Borders in every state that are event coordinators.
DO THEY HAVE A MARKETING TEAM? (yes) And they are constantly marketing, networking etc.
ARE THEY NEW IN THE GANE? (sure) Give them a chance people, they've just signed three more authors, and are trying their best. There are many small presses out there who don't even pay advances. This isn't xlibris or PA.

I had two signings last week in Borders books, the marketing director called me, left me know where and when the signings were to take place. The store had 30 copies of my novel. They also had attractive book marks and flyers waiting for me when I got there. The signings went well, didn't sell every copy but didn't have to bring my own. I can't say that for a lot of publishers. The big guys sure, but for a smaller press they are very good to start on.

Also too let you know, they have just signed a top notch illustrator who will be working on different variant covers. He has worked on comics and a few Cemetary Dance illustrations.

swordgirl. I'm one of those three authors that was just signed. But while I'm happy that your book signing went well, I do have to say that the part of them paying advances I don't know about. I wasn't offered one, but that is just my case and can't speak for others. He does pay a good royalty rate though so that much I'm happy about. As for me not getting an advance it's okay. A lot of small presses do not pay advances and they are still doing well. Mundania doesn't or Phaze and several others. If you are one of the ones that did receive an advance then I'm happy for you and hope your book does well.

Last edited:

Popeyesays

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score

He's also a member of the American Bar and the Texas Bar, so Louisiana is moot, I suppose. But he really wants to succeed as a publisher, so we'll just have to see.

As a publisher, he's paid me for editing, slush-reading and catalogue design just fine and on time. So I have no beefs.

Regards,
Scott

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Enough already with the argument about Mr. Bernoudy's legal credentials. They don't have any bearing on his qualifications as a publisher. I'd like to see no further posts on this matter.

I'm not endorsing Blue Phi'er, by the way; I'm extremly dubious of its policies and claims, and I'm not convinced it has any significant ability to market and distribute its books.

- Victoria

Hobbes

Sneaky. In a good way.
Registered
Reaction score
Hello. Just wondering if there is any new information about Blu Phi'er. Has anybody been dealing with them (been accepted for publication, had a book released, etc.) since this last post?

Thanks!