Boat Explosions

Nancyleeny

Registered
Reaction score
There had been a lot of attention on boat explosions since a boat owned by a retired NYPD captain blew up. They said they were going to investigate foul play. I started researching how they woul investigate this, and actually how one would go about causing an explosion? I have a forensics book that dealt with explosions, but nothing about bit explosions.

Any ideas where I can do some research on this? Any ideas much appreciated!
Nancy

Nancyleeny

Registered
Reaction score
Research on boat explosions

There had been a lot of attention on boat explosions since a boat owned by a retired NYPD captain blew up. They said they were going to investigate foul play. I started researching how they would investigate this, and actually how one would go about causing an explosion? I have a forensics book that dealt with explosions, but nothing about boat explosions.

Any ideas where I can do some research on this? Any ideas much appreciated!
Nancy

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
You can PM a Moderator and ask that it be moved to Story Research. Lots of helpful folks hang out over there.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're trying to do. You investigate a boat explosion the same way you do on land. The Coast Guard probably has the most expertise. By looking at the blast pattern, you can identify the source area. Does the source area have a likely explosive source?

Most common cause for boat explosions is inboard engines with broken ventilation system. If the engine compartment isn't ventilating, gas fumes hang around and can go boom with any spark.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Nancyleeny

Registered
Reaction score
HI,
I am generally looking for information regarding where an explosive would be set on a boat, inboard vs outboard, etc. and whether the explosive plus fuel would be synergistic, or not. Thanks,
Nancy

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Don't forget propane. Many boats have propane grills or heaters, and propane is heavier than air, so it settles in the bilge.

As a rule, outboard engines are going to be less prone to fire/explosion, because the fuel system is basically not enclosed. And outboard vs inboard is going to depend on the size and design of the boat.

Nancyleeny

Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget propane. Many boats have propane grills or heaters, and propane is heavier than air, so it settles in the bilge.

As a rule, outboard engines are going to be less prone to fire/explosion, because the fuel system is basically not enclosed. And outboard vs inboard is going to depend on the size and design of the boat.

Thank you - I hadn't even though about the propane. More intrigue!
Nancy

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Nancy -- just a heads up -- it may or may not be a good idea to actually ask how much explosive it would take to blow up the two-million-dollar yacht you are touring with the harbormaster. Not that I know anyone who has done this.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Yeah, common sense rules apply here guys and gals. Remember the forum is searchable from google without a login. Please be responsible about the information you request and share.

Nancyleeny

Registered
Reaction score
Nancy -- just a heads up -- it may or may not be a good idea to actually ask how much explosive it would take to blow up the two-million-dollar yacht you are touring with the harbormaster. Not that I know anyone who has done this.

Yes, that is why I am just asking generalities. We did talk about this on the mystery forum a few months ago, however, because I was worried about just this situation occurring. But I was told that as long as I am asking on a site like this, with other writing questions, it was OK. Honestly, I am still very cautious. We live in suspicious times.

Thanks much,
nancy

Nancyleeny

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, common sense rules apply here guys and gals. Remember the forum is searchable from google without a login. Please be responsible about the information you request and share.

Yes, I worry about this also. I really just wanted generalities. Thanks much,
Nancy

Nancyleeny

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Cathy. Sorry about the duplication.
Nancy