10 Writing Rules We Wish more SFF Authors would Break

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwendolyn

Registered
Reaction score
As a reader, I was opposed to prologues for a long time... until an interesting prologue waltzed into my head one day. I'm trying to find a way to work it into the rest of the story rather than have it stand out... but we'll see.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Are you saying this should be a rule?

The only rule for a writer should be give the readers what they want. And different readers have different taste...

If its lap dances, give it to them. If its lots of sword slinging and blood, give it to them. And if there be magic, then let the magic flow.

The trick of course is to make whatever you use exciting and make it feel like its all new again. And if that fails, use the lap dance scenes...

IMHO of course...

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
The only rule for a writer should be give the readers what they want. And different readers have different taste...

If its lap dances, give it to them. If its lots of sword slinging and blood, give it to them. And if there be magic, then let the magic flow.

The trick of course is to make whatever you use exciting and make it feel like its all new again. And if that fails, use the lap dance scenes...

IMHO of course...

I have to disagree. In general, you should give people what they would be interested in. That's not necessarily what they want. People only want what they already know about. One of the great things about art of all kinds (from cooking to writing) is that the world is full of surprises and works that people end up enjoying are not always the ones they already think they enjoy.

If artists only gave people what they wanted no one would ever create anything really new and interesting.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
If artists only gave people what they wanted no one would ever create anything really new and interesting.
Definitely.

I write what I like, which may not be what everyone wants; I certainly receive my fare share of negative criticism. But if you enjoy what you write, then chances are others will enjoy it too. That doesn't include lap dance, I'm afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.