Use of pen name

Status
Not open for further replies.

COOLORANGEFREEZE

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
So I use a pen name. On my author website in my Q&A section I answer one of the questions that I use a pen name and I also divulge my everyday name.

I've seen other authors do it like that... what do you think?

Do you think I should divulge my real name at all?

COOLORANGEFREEZE

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I've kept the pen name but I also divulge my "regular" name on the author site.

The reason I use a pen name is mainly marketing. I believe a catchy name can help sell books and ebooks.

Laura Lond

Registered
Reaction score
I write under a pen name, and I wouldn't want to reveal my real name - that's the reason I got a pen name to begin with, LOL! But sometimes you have to. A local paper was doing a feature article on me, and they insisted that my real name is mentioned right at the beginning.

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
That's like me too! I want to use my pen name because it sounds better, but I'm perfectly okay with people knowing I wrote it...does that make sense?

Carradee

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mistiwolanski.com
I write under a pen name, and I wouldn't want to reveal my real name - that's the reason I got a pen name to begin with, LOL! But sometimes you have to. A local paper was doing a feature article on me, and they insisted that my real name is mentioned right at the beginning.

Then I wouldn't allow the article, myself.

But then, I purposefully chose a pen name so I could keep my RL and writing identities separate.

A note: having your real name associated with your writing can hurt a RL job hunt, because a lot of people still assume that writing brings big bucks more often than it actually does.

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com
I wouldn't mind too much saying my real name. For the day I get published I have a pen name picked out. I use it all the time. It's kind of fun having an alter-ego.

I would have a pen name only because my real last name is kind of a tongue twister, and I want fans to know and say my name like it's their own lol.

If you feel comfortable using a pen then go for it. If you like using your real sometimes go for that. What new papaer was it? your hometown?

I would only use my real name if the paper was my hometown, and I could be recongized. A paper from a different city I would tell to go f*** themselves, personally. Why doi they care who I am, when it is suppose to be all about your novel?

EndlessDestiny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashlynwriting.tumblrcom
My real name is unique enough to use. I'm just shy about using it and I don't want any books that I write to distract from professional life. I've had a pen name picked out for years.

PortableHal

Not-so-new
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marsneedswriters.com
Thanks for the response. I've kept the pen name but I also divulge my "regular" name on the author site.

The reason I use a pen name is mainly marketing. I believe a catchy name can help sell books and ebooks.

I think you're handling things well. (And, as shallow as it seems, I think you're right about the "catchy name" thing, too.) I'd continue doing what you're doing.

jonbon.benjamin

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jonbonbenjamin.blogspot.com
I use a pen name because I find it easier to do online stuff under a different personality. Not sure why really. Just easier to play a character than myself

So if I was to ever get signed I think I'd continue to use my pen name.

I wouldn't reveal my actual name unless I really had to

Jb

Status
Not open for further replies.