What are you reading?

Nualláin

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished reading Spies by Michael Frayn, who is possibly the most versatile author I could even imagine. A really charming and surprising little book about two boys with overactive imaginations in WW2 England.

STKlingaman

Followed the Red Brick Road
Registered
Reaction score
Tried Heinlein's 'Time Enough for Love'
but hit the breaks about 120 pages in.
(may try again later)

Moved on to 'Restaurant at the end of the Universe'

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
"A Window Across the River" by Brian Morton

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The House of Tomorrow by Peter Bognani. It was nothing too fantastic, but a decent enough read, definitely got me to laugh a few times.

On Monday, I started The Razor's Edge by W. Sommerset Maugham. I haven't read any of his work before, but I've heard good things. So far, I like what I've read, very Gatsby-esque.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I decided to reread the first Nancy Drew mysteries. They're... not that good. I'm surprised and disappointed. Filled with said-bookisms, clunky descriptions, improbable coincidences, and a MC so perfect and helpful and wholesome and kind it's almost laughable. :( I had better memories of these books.

elmoie

Registered
Reaction score
Working my way through Karin Slaughter's books - just finished Triptych.

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
3/4 through The Opposite of Art by Athol Dickson. Picked it up at the library on a lark and it's been good, so far.

Eleanor Rigby

Registered
Reaction score
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I'm only about 40 pages into it, and I'm already in love!!!

Macca

Registered
Reaction score
Just started Sweet Money by Ernesto Mall, the follow up to his first Inspector Lascano crime novel, Needle In a Haystack. I loved the latter and it is a good companion piece to the equally brilliant Argentinian film The Secret in their Eyes. Both deal with the impossibility of justice whilst living under a corrupt, fascist regime.http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1275259.Ernesto_Mallo

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
The Sisters Brothers by Patrick Dewitt.

This dark, twisted western was a fun read, the pages fly by. When was the last time you read a book with two intermissions? Lots of nonsense that many editors would have asked to cut (in my opinion) but it only adds to the story.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Two things (as is customary for me):

The Forever War, by Joe Haldeman, a damn fine SF novel, about halfway done with it.

Light in August, by William Faulkner. This is a re-read, read once about 30 years ago. It's my nominee for the Best American Novel of the 20th Century.

caw

Esmeralda

Snowman...on the job
Registered
Reaction score
Waiting for In Other Worlds by Margaret Atwood, Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern and That Used to be Us by Thomas Friedman.
Just started Micro by Michael Crichton.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Razor's Edge by W Sommerset Maugham. I wasn't so sure about it in the beginning, thought it was a little slow, but wound up really liking it after all is said and done :)

Will start How To Be Alone by Jonathan Franzen tonight. One of my favorite authors, can't wait to read it!

Last edited:

Tanglewood

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading 11.22.63 by Stephen King. Without giving too much away, it's about a time traveller who travels back to 1958 with a view to stopping the Kennedy assassination. I'm really, really enjoying it. In fact, it's one of those books which is so good that I'm rationing it. I'm only allowing myself to read it for an hour a day in order to make it last.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I can't wait to read 11.22.63. It sounds fascinating and I've heard so many good things about it.

I'm about to DNF Sushi for Beginners by Marian Keyes, and I rarely DNF. I'm 35% of the way through it and I'm not warming up to it at all. It's weird: I'll finish books even if I hate them (such as Vox by Nicholson Baker, which was the last book I read), but there's this weird, narrow area between "meh" and "hate" that will cause me to DNF.

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
I have 11.22.63 on my "To Read" pile. I'm halfway through The Visible Man by Chuck Klosterman. If you read it, stick with it to the paradigm shift on page 77. I was getting annoyed with one of the main characters long before that but <spoiler redacted>

Nualláin

Registered
Reaction score
I'm about 600 pages into Les Miserables. Fortunately I'm in one of the bits that aren't dull and wandery, so I shall probably get a good few hours out of it before bed tonight. I've never been so enchanted and bored by a single book before...

Next up on the list is The Old Devils by Kingsley Amis. Really looking forward to that one.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Started reading John Dies at the End by David Wong (head editor of Cracked). Pretty darn funny so far, even though the writing is so-so.

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
"The Soul Thief" by Charles Baxter