• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

laugh nervously or give a nervous laugh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerboa

frelled
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ejtett.weebly.com
I'm starting to go a bit nuts with editing - they're due in soon.

I'm questioning everything. I know adverbs are (sometimes) bad. But I can't work out if this is just as bad:

The woman sitting opposite laughed nervously.

The woman sitting opposite gave a nervous laugh.

Which is better? I feel like using 'gave' is somehow an easy cheat to avoid the adverb. Help?

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I personally don't care for the "give" construction: "gave a weak smile," "gave a hearty chuckle," etc.

I don't mind "ly" adverbs as long as they're used judiciously (heh) and if their use in dialogue tags is kept to an absolute minimum.

If you pumped up the verb a bit, would that help? Something like "the woman sitting opposite burst into nervous giggles?"

Jerboa

frelled
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ejtett.weebly.com
I know I do the 'give' thing a lot, and it's really lazy! I like your idea, thanks. I'll have to think of something similar, work out how exactly I want her laughter to come across.

Spiral Jacobs

Words. Words. Words.
Registered
Reaction score
Sidebar: if you fear that you are using a certain verb or construction too often, it's helpful if you do a FIND on the word in your manuscript. Then you can see how many times you used it and where, then triage those sections. Often you will be able to alter the sentence or substitute a stronger verb. In my experience, a first draft will have some lazy or repetitive constructions, which is what the revision process is for.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Any construction can be annoying if it's repeated too often. Think about the smile. What is it that designates it as nervous? Sometimes describing it, whether it's in terms of looks or emotional impact on the pov character, works better.

She laughed, a high-pitched, nervous titter.
He bleated out a laugh.
She laughed but didn't meet my eyes.

But sometimes a laugh is just a laugh, and not every one needs elaborate description. I don't think you can never say laughed nervously or gave a nervous grin.

I remember seeing an editor's site once that ranted at great length about the "gave" construct, claiming that phrases like "gave a smile" makes him think the character is handing someone else a mouth and so on. This puzzled me, because I always knew it was an idiom, and idioms don't have to make literal sense.

But I obediently expunged all such wording from my MS, because, hey, he was a professional editor, and if he says this is the kind of thing that makes editors reject manuscripts, well then.

And every novel I've read since then has at least an occasional "gave a smile" or "gave a laugh." They are all trade published, and presumably have been gone over by professional editors. So I think this guy was talking out of his ass when he claimed to be speaking for all, or even most of his colleagues.

As oh so many people with blogs are.

One thing that's cool about e-readers is that you can plug in and search certain constructs and see when and how often different writers use them.

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
The thing about teh two examples is this: They are telling, no showing

Now, if it's just a flyby bit of colour, or because of context or flow, sometimes telling is fine.

Sometimes, most times you want to show.

So, what tells you her laugh is nervous? [warning, crappy examples incoming] And ofc what sort of nervous?

She hid her mouth behind her hands as she laughed

She laughed, but she bit her lip at the same time

She laughed, but all the while she was looking at her husband from under hesitant lids, a flinch ready to happen.

All writing is telling, in essence, but you show by telling in an oblique way. And avoid the constructs in the OP too! Bonus! There's nothing wrong with those constructs provided they are not every page. But most times...it can be done better.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
I think it depends on the cadence of the rest of the paragraph. You might not want to use either too often, but it might help to switch them up if you have a really similar sentence structure nearby.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
Depending on the context of the rest of your piece, they can be two different things to me. "Laughed nervously" says to me that the person is genuinely laughing, but they're nervous for whatever reason. Like giddy or first date jitters or something. "Gave a nervous laugh" to me suggests that there is nothing they find humorous, but they should be laughing so they force one out. Like the boss made a crude joke about someone turning him in for harassment, while the employee was contemplating doing just that.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The adverb doesn't bother me at all. I prefer it to your other construction.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In context either one could work perfectly well. The adverb doesn't bother me in the least.

Jerboa

frelled
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ejtett.weebly.com
Thanks all! This is very helpful. The actual 'laugh' scene is just a bit of colour. The woman isn't a character or anything. My MC is more interested in the person who's making her laugh nervously - so the laugh is just part of the general description of what's going on. (If that makes sense!)

But this is all helpful as I can apply it to other stuff.

Poet of Gore

Banned
Reaction score

I'm questioning everything. I know adverbs are (sometimes) bad. But I can't work out if this is just as bad:

Which is better? I feel like using 'gave' is somehow an easy cheat to avoid the adverb. Help?

don't do either. this is too played out. no striding purposefully either.

make something new

The woman sitting across from me slowly crossed her legs. She noticed me staring. Trying to catch a glimpse. Even though she tried to play it off like she was not offended by smiling. There was a look of constipation lying beneath this false gesture.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
The woman sitting across from me slowly crossed her legs. She noticed me staring. Trying to catch a glimpse. Even though she tried to play it off like she was not offended by smiling. There was a look of constipation lying beneath this false gesture.

This feels like complete overkill to me. There is nothing wrong with saying a character laughed nervously, especially if it's something you want to quickly mention before moving on.

Not to mention, I'm not even sure what this passage is describing. A nervous laugh is clear. This is not.

This also might bog down the pace unnecessarily. As a writer, you can't unpack every action like this, not unless you want to be way over word count.

Gringa

Registered
Reaction score
high strung cackle
uptight snicker
knuckle popping...
clenched jaw...
agitated cackle
skittish...
jitters

Poet of Gore

Banned
Reaction score
This feels like complete overkill to me. There is nothing wrong with saying a character laughed nervously, especially if it's something you want to quickly mention before moving on.

Not to mention, I'm not even sure what this passage is describing. A nervous laugh is clear. This is not.

This also might bog down the pace unnecessarily. As a writer, you can't unpack every action like this, not unless you want to be way over word count.

well, i wrote in a whole reason why she was laughing nervously. plus i was on green tea when i wrote this. and it was a bit of a jokey example.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
well, i wrote in a whole reason why she was laughing nervously. plus i was on green tea when i wrote this. and it was a bit of a jokey example.

No problem. I get where you were coming from. There are cases where you want to spice up something like a nervous laugh. As an author, it's your job to pick the right places to do that.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She gave a constipated laugh, and everything came out all right in the end.

OMG, I can't believe I wrote that. Yes, I'm seven years old inside.

:e2stooges:

Okay, and now there are two of you who are going off to MacAllister to explain what was so funny.

The rest of you get back to work.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no, did we just get sent to Principal McAllister's office? :cry:

Do you think that's funny? Perhaps you'd like to explain it to the class...

:granny:

ETA: Try to imagine that granny with a stern look. We need a Stern Granny emoticon.... Anyone?

Last edited:

Gringa

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, and now there are two of you who are going off to MacAllister to explain what was so funny.

Great! Let's go.

Oh no, did we just get sent to Principal McAllister's office? :cry:

If you need any pointers, just let me know. It's where I grew up.

Do you think that's funny? Perhaps you'd like to explain it to the class...

:granny:

Ha! Granny can explain if she wants to. Roxx and I are skipping class today. We're in the park with our dogs. Throwing tennis balls. Man sakes alive they are fast. Wanna join us?

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
Neither. Show her laugh. Her laugh sounded like the guy from THe Lady or the Tiger. Pick a door and get your dream come true or a pair of teeth stuck in your neck. Which door would she pick? Or something like that. Write down the words:

Nervous laugh:
Then write down every word or phrase that relates to a nervous laugh and what it sounds like to you. From that listing, you can then put a picture together, thus showing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.