Who's snowed in?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah? It was 76F here last Friday. I've got frozen hyacinths and daffodils in the front flower bed.

That's happened to me before too, actually. It's going to dip below freezing tonight, but the rain should be through here by then.

JMC2009

Your friendly neighborhood Chat Op
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not supposed to get quite as much as St. Louis (a county out of the worst part of it) but NTL my employer announced that offices woudl be closed today yesterday, and there was a suggestion that they'll be closed tomorrow too.

In the mean time I'm goign to get caught up on my word count goals and clean.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Metro Boston is getting crapped on right now. I had the joy of first sliding down one of the steepest hills in town to the bus stop, then slogging like a polar explorer into the head-on wind for several blocks from the bus to my pseudo-job (which pseudo-pays pseudo-money). Next I get to do the same in reverse. Tomorrow, I'll probably work from home (at least that's not a pseudo-place, and I'll get real writing done ;) ).

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Driving home from school an hour ago was not fun. This is just the first storm, too. Tomorrow's supposed to be way worse. Awesome. At least school is canceled, but the dumbass district manager at work will never allow us to even close early in stuff like this. So I will probably be going to work both today and tomorrow. Meh. I'm usually the one employee who doesn't get to stay home.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
First round went through last night, got about 4-5 inches of snow, and with the wind, it's drifting. Round two should hit us in about another couple of hours, first with the freezing rain or sleet crap, then more snow on top of that. I'm tired of winter now. I like it for about a month, then come February it just gets old. And February is usually our snowiest month here in Northern Ohio. Thankfully I'm off work tomorrow. My biggest fear with this storm is the possibility of losing power. I have a fish tank and a lizard. No power = no heat and the fish and lizard could die. Also, no filtration for the fishies. And it's so cold, it wouldn't take long for the house to get cold.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just rain here so far, with temperatures in the 50s, but it's suppose to get stormier this evening, with the possibility of a little snow tomorrow morning.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I can't be stormier. I'm already stormy enough. Just ask my sons. :D

For those not used to blizzards or snow over eight inches--if your furnace pipe outside is low to the ground, make sure it gets cleared of snow as soon as possible. It's the cause of two things--either your furnace will shut off (a safety measure. You just have to shovel around the pipe), or it won't shut off and you'll get a backup of gases in the house.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I think other than the snow and cold, the worst part about living somewhere with lots of snow and cold is that I never get snow days.

Last week, it was -25C, 50km/h winds, 7 inches of snow, and we still shoveled our way to our cars to get to school and work.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think other than the snow and cold, the worst part about living somewhere with lots of snow and cold is that I never get snow days.

Last week, it was -25C, 50km/h winds, 7 inches of snow, and we still shoveled our way to our cars to get to school and work.
They sometimes cancel schools around here with just a prediction of snow. There are reasons why they can do that here, but it can still seems odd.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
70 (F) degrees here Saturday, sunny and gorgeous.

10 degrees with -10 wind chill today. 20 inches in the nearest town reporting snowfall totals. We have drifts in the yard around 4 feet (my 6' 3" hubs had snow up to his lower back when he went out to the garage for the portable heater around noon after the power went out.)

The only thing seen to have gone past my house all day is a backhoe.

Guardian

just the worst honestly
Registered
Reaction score
We're getting snow here in Maine - it started at about noon. It was halfway to a whiteout a couple hours ago, but now the snowfall is pretty sparse and gentle. No idea what will change until it changes. I don't watch the weather. I live on the wild side.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score

Do you live in a city?

I've found that's expected in cities. I have a 25 mile country commute, over hills and through valleys on twisty country roads. They get plowed, but if it's snowing hard there is no way the county guys can keep up with it. And if I have an accident - it could be a loooong time before the snowplough guy comes to rescue me. (Has happened twice)

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
My biggest fear with this storm is the possibility of losing power. I have a fish tank and a lizard. No power = no heat and the fish and lizard could die. Also, no filtration for the fishies. And it's so cold, it wouldn't take long for the house to get cold.

Wrapping a couple of thick blankets tight around the fish tank should keep them safe, unless it gets sub-zero in the house.

Because of my spiders, I keep an insulated box, and heat packs on hand in case of emergencies. The little heat packs are made for putting in your pockets to keep your hands warm. I think they would work in a pinch for a lizard. :)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Snot I.

No snow in So. Cal. Just fog in the morning and warm sun in the after noon. We'll probably hit the pool today.

*splash*
Lucky you.

Just watch out for earthquakes, forest fires, mud slides, electrical blackouts, and massive tax increases.

;-)

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Snot I.

No snow in So. Cal. Just fog in the morning and warm sun in the after noon. We'll probably hit the pool today.

*splash*

4.gif

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mutteringsofascribe.blogspot.com
Supposed to blizzard today, they said. Whole Midwest, they said. Worst storm in 58 years, they said.

What do we get? Four inches. Four inches, and ice. Well, probably a lot of ice (there was a lot of drizzly rain nastiness yesterday, which most likely all froze now).

It's not fair. I want SNOW, not ice! I mean, we did get snow, but... we've had two snows in the past month that were about as bad as the one we got today. (But at least school was cancelled--it was actually called in anticipation, last night, before anything started falling...)

I. Want. Snow. Grrrr.

Wait, another storm's supposed to sweep through tomorrow? *crosses fingers for snow--and no accidents*

Today was the school district's last snow day before they gotta start adding school days. As far as I'm concerned--it's totally worth it. :D

ETA: I'm not sure why I'm surprised at our relative lack of snow. We miss all the weather. I live right by Kansas City KS, which seems to attract all the heavy weather, while we get wimpy snows... although it's nice not really worrying about tornado season.