General anime discussion thread

_Jinx_

Registered
Reaction score
Hm, maybe I should try MM again? I've tried once, but wasn't in the mood, and the character design wasn't exactly my favourite.

Since Mirai Nikki is now finished, I expect to give it another try in the next few months. Maybe I'll try Aquarion Evol, too. It doesn't sound exactly like my cup of tea, but you never know. I could be surprised.

I like the original Saki; it's over-the-top with mah-jong-superpowers, and lots of weird characters. While Chihayafuru goes for realism depicting the game, Saki tends to go for the symbolic (with one character being so unobtrusive that people forget to pay attention to the tiles they lay out, for example; the titular character has the ability to always finish with score of zero that she neither wins nor loses.) The Achiga Hen spin off has shown some signs of this, but nothing too drastic yet. But Saki is worth a watch.

I suspect the most unjustly ignored show of the season is going to be Shirokuma Café.

MM! was very underrated :( imo. I don't know what you did not like about the characters... honestly I liked the characters a lot better than in most anime :p.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
MM! was very underrated :( imo. I don't know what you did not like about the characters... honestly I liked the characters a lot better than in most anime :p.

No, no. Not the characters. I didn't watch long enough to judge that. The character design. How they look. It's a matter of taste.

For example, Clannad is a great anime, but I utterly hate the character design. Whenever I see a picture of them I wonder why I ever liked the show. Then I watch an episode and I remember. Similarly, Hyakko.

I've often started shows and quit them because I wasn't in the mood. If I'm not in the mood something like a character design that doesn't appeal (or an annoying soundtrack, among other things) can make the decision for me. Doesn't mean I abandon the show forever.

It's not a criticism of the show really. Just an explanation of why didn't stick with it (apart from the more important "not in the mood" thing).

_Jinx_

Registered
Reaction score
^Oh well now that you mention Clannad I never really liked the characters looks. I always thought there faces looked fat :O

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
For all the clusterfuck that was the writing of Guilty Crown, it was gorgeously animated, and I just had to download the kickass soundtrack.

Since Mirai Nikki is now finished, I expect to give it another try in the next few months. Maybe I'll try Aquarion Evol, too. It doesn't sound exactly like my cup of tea, but you never know. I could be surprised.

As usual, give 'em at least three episodes before deciding to drop or not.

Anna L.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annafrost.ca
Started watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica. I don't know if I'll get any work done tonight. I really didn't expect it to pack such a punch. O-o

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Started watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica. I don't know if I'll get any work done tonight. I really didn't expect it to pack such a punch. O-o

Starts a tad creepy, than suddenly ramps up the pace and never lets you go. It's a masterpiece.

kuwisdelu said:
As usual, give 'em at least three episodes before deciding to drop or not.

Yep. That's why I waited for it to finish. Three episodes in a row in easier than week-to-week; better retetention of what happened, better mood-consistency.

ETA: Episode 3 of Gakkatsu. I'm still chuckling. Simple but effective.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
It *would* be a masterpiece if the last episode wasn't such a terrible mess. I just watched it and I don't know wtf that was about. Total let down. I have a sad.

o_O

The last episode was perfect for it. Not the most original ending ever, but oh well.

I take it you haven't watched Neon Genesis Evangelion, Revolutionary Girl Utena, or Serial Experiments Lain? Mindscrew and world reset via self-sacrifice are pretty common tropes for deconstruction anime.

Anna L.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annafrost.ca
o_O

The last episode was perfect for it. Not the most original ending ever, but oh well.

I take it you haven't watched Neon Genesis Evangelion, Revolutionary Girl Utena, or Serial Experiments Lain? Mindscrew and world reset via self-sacrifice are pretty common tropes for deconstruction anime.

Lain worked because it was trippy all along. But PMMM is a perfectly logical straight-line anime. After eleven awesome episodes with wonderful little twists, I was expecting something simple but punchy for the ending. Like finding out that Madoka IS the Walpurgis or something. Ah well. It happens.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Lain worked because it was trippy all along. But PMMM is a perfectly logical straight-line anime. After eleven awesome episodes with wonderful little twists, I was expecting something simple but punchy for the ending. Like finding out that Madoka IS the Walpurgis or something. Ah well. It happens.

Actually, that they leave out the origin of the Walpurgis is sort of a flaw. I would expect something this big to have a place in the symbology of the show, rather than just in the plot. But, to be honest, I don't think it's a debilitating flaw. There are other little things: Kyouko's story suffers from pacing problems; Hitomi and violin boy whose name I can't think of right now are also pretty much plot puppies (it's as if both were supposed to have roles beyond what they ended up being in the show, and then they just flung them together to get rid of some open ends...). Madoka is certainly not flawless, but it is a masterpiece. It's something an apprentice couldn't have accomplished. (Also curious what they'll make from the films; I heard it's a trilogy, with the first two films being a recap of the series, and third one taking it from there.)

The ending works for me, because it's very consistent with Madoka's personality.

(I now own volume 1 [the first four episodes] on dvd; in about two months I should be complete.)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score

Madoka wasn't trippy to you? I could've told you the last episode was going to be some kind of mindscrew from the first episode. (I would've felt quite cheated if it weren't.) I'm surprised you didn't see it coming.

Actually, that they leave out the origin of the Walpurgis is sort of a flaw. I would expect something this big to have a place in the symbology of the show, rather than just in the plot. But, to be honest, I don't think it's a debilitating flaw.

The Walpurgis Night's origin is in the supplementary material. She's the stage constructing witch. She exists explicitly so that the story can exist. Which I think is kind of cool and meta. Just like the origin of Adam and Lilith as Seeds of Life (which is never revealed in the anime either) doesn't really matter in Eva.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
The Walpurgis Night's origin is in the supplementary material. She's the stage constructing witch. She exists explicitly so that the story can exist. Which I think is kind of cool and meta. Just like the origin of Adam and Lilith as Seeds of Life (which is never revealed in the anime either) doesn't really matter in Eva.

Yep, and there are hints to that in the show itself (the name "Walpurgis Night", that it doesn't need withchspace...). It still feels like a gap to me, that should have been addressed more. I've gone over board with demanding the origin, though. That's not exactly what I need. I feel it's just too little "plugged into the story". It looks like all it does is being powerful, and that seems sort of cheap. (Even if extra-source knowledge I find the meta-level sort of a stretch.)

Didn't mind Eva at all, though.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Madoka Magica is fantastic, especially if you see it on a big-scree tv.

Walpurgis Nacht is totally cool. Like Cthulhu it doesn't need more explanation. Or rather, it can be left to speculation.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone seen a series called Aria?

I've got the first one sitting on my hard drive, and I've been meaning to sooner or later, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I hear it's supposed to be good, though.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Help!

It's been a while since I've paid any money for my Chinese cartoons and I want to buy some more license series. But most of what I want isn't yet. What should I orderrrr?

Bonus points if it's a sufficiently nerdy/techy show to play in the background to get me in the mood while programming. (Darker than Black and Ghost in the Shell are my old standbys here. I was hoping to get Steins;Gate but Funi hasn't gotten it out here yet.)

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Bonus points if it's a sufficiently nerdy/techy show to play in the background to get me in the mood while programming. (Darker than Black and Ghost in the Shell are my old standbys here. I was hoping to get Steins;Gate but Funi hasn't gotten it out here yet.)

I have no idea what's licensed in the US, to be honest. More than around here, I suppose, but probably not the same thing. One of the things I've seen licensed around here lately is Roujin Z. Talk about something I didn't expect. Also Dance in the Vampire Bund. Of all the shaft stuff they could bring out, this? It must be the vampire in the title...

The last few things I bought: Madoka (vol 1), Kara no Kyoukai (movie 7), Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 (boxed set). (Plan on getting Haruhi season 2 + movie as soon as it's out - and of course completing Madoka)

Most of the stuff I buy on a whim in the shop. Which means mostly boxed sets or movies. I'd buy Steins;Gate in a heart beat. Also Usagi Drop or Hourou Musuko. None of them look likely to be licensed around here.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea what's licensed in the US, to be honest. More than around here, I suppose, but probably not the same thing. One of the things I've seen licensed around here lately is Roujin Z. Talk about something I didn't expect. Also Dance in the Vampire Bund. Of all the shaft stuff they could bring out, this? It must be the vampire in the title...

You'd be surprised. There are lots of series that I've run into that have been licensed and properly released in Germany/Austria but not the US. We still don't have a proper release of Kara no Kyoukai over here, for instance.

I'm curious, though: do they usually dub series there, or just release them with subtitles?

Also, are the series released as individual volumes as ridiculously overpriced as over here (and in Japan)? Or are they more reflective of 3-4 episodes of material?

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious, though: do they usually dub series there, or just release them with subtitles?

Also, are the series released as individual volumes as ridiculously overpriced as over here (and in Japan)? Or are they more reflective of 3-4 episodes of material?

1. They're almost all dubbed. You'll occasionally find subbed-only dvds, but that's rare.

2. The hits are generally released as single volumes. They'll have 3-4 episodes at 18-23 Euro's. Other stuff only gets boxed sets (which can be anything from ~60 to 90 Euros). Some of the stuff has odd release formats (for example the entirety of Durarara!!! is available in three volumes - I think the publisher's based in France. The Haruhi Suzumiya second season will - most likely because of the endless eight - only be available as a boxed set (which will include "Haruhi Suzumiya chan" and that other chibi series about the green haired girl, I think...). It's interesting to see what subtitles come with the show. The first season of Haruhi has German and Polish subtitles (which suggests an interesting marketing region). Many have German only; some have as much as four languages. It's the EU, after all.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
1. They're almost all dubbed. You'll occasionally find subbed-only dvds, but that's rare.

2. The hits are generally released as single volumes. They'll have 3-4 episodes at 18-23 Euro's. Other stuff only gets boxed sets (which can be anything from ~60 to 90 Euros). Some of the stuff has odd release formats (for example the entirety of Durarara!!! is available in three volumes - I think the publisher's based in France. The Haruhi Suzumiya second season will - most likely because of the endless eight - only be available as a boxed set (which will include "Haruhi Suzumiya chan" and that other chibi series about the green haired girl, I think...). It's interesting to see what subtitles come with the show. The first season of Haruhi has German and Polish subtitles (which suggests an interesting marketing region). Many have German only; some have as much as four languages. It's the EU, after all.

A dubbed version of Durarara! exists, but I'm not sure where it is, and the subbed version is $70 per volume here. That usually only happens when the Japanese distributor tries to sell directly via their US arm. Most stuff is more sane, like Haruhi.

The first volume of Madoka is ¥5145 (~$63) on amazon.co.jp, reduced from the MSRP of ¥7350. It's no wonder so many otaku still live with their parents.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
The first volume of Madoka is ¥5145 (~$63) on amazon.co.jp, reduced from the MSRP of ¥7350. It's no wonder so many otaku still live with their parents.

Is that at 2 eps per volume? I knew they were expensive, but... And they also buy figurines?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Huh. I never knew Sora no Woto's OP was by Kalafina.

I mean, in hindsight, I should have been able to tell, but I didn't make the connection.

Nor did I know the full version was so Jethro Tull-esque.

(Just bought Red Moon.)

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, was quite surprised when I found this out. Once I got used to the idea I thought "heh, figures."

@Kalafina: I like the new Fate/Zero opening much better than the first season's.

And Yuki Kajiura is a soundtrack genius (not that I'm saying this for the first time...).

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, was quite surprised when I found this out. Once I got used to the idea I thought "heh, figures."

I can't tell if you're saying "heh, figures" in response to Kalafina doing Sora no Woto's OP or saying "heh, figures" in response to, well, figures.

'Cos I'd love me some figures if I had the money.

All I've got now is a plush Pen-Pen.

I need some Asuka.