querying another agent at the same place

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
How do you know if it is OK to query another agent at the same agency after you have been rejected? Some say it is OK on their Web sites, others seem to imply it is not. Then there are places that I just can't figure out if it would be OK. You would think that an agent might send a query to a coworker if he thought someone else at the agency would be interested. I know that has happened to some people. I would love some advice on figuring this out.

Also, it an agent requested your proposal or a full but passed, could you then try another agent at the same place or is it only appropriate if you get rejected on a query? Thanks.

Patrick L

looking for a home
Registered
Reaction score
There are quite a few threads, and opinions, on this subject. My personal opinion is to go for it. Your query, or manuscript, may strike one agent completely differently than another. The only thing I wouldn't do is simultaneously query agents at the same agency. Other than that, fire away.

Just my $.02.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
I've done it and gotten interest with the second agent, but I never queried more than one agent at the same agency at the same time.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I wasn't talking about doing it at the same time. WOuld you try another agent at the same firm if the first one requested and rejected you on a full or a nonfiction proposal?

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
My queries were all fiction, and the rejections were query rejections. But I probably wouldn't query an agency that rejected the manuscript itself.

Thanks. I wasn't talking about doing it at the same time. WOuld you try another agent at the same firm if the first one requested and rejected you on a full or a nonfiction proposal?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I think if you can't find a reference to them NOT wanting that through your most diligent Googling, you might as well go ahead.

What's the worst that can happen? They've already rejected you, so if they reject you again, what have you lost?

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
Six months ago, an agent passed on my full. I queried another agent at the same agency a few weeks ago and got a request for the full. IceCreamEmpress is right. Do your research. And I wouldn't query two agents at the same agency at the same time, no matter what their policy is.