A Life of Crime and Chocolate

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
French as someone who has only kinda sorta been in that postion, I'd agree with the skim idea and find the things to compliment on.

Snowed a bit here last night. Official snowfall in the closest town has been announced at 28". It doesn't look like that much outside my window, but I haven't been outside yet.

On Wednesday here in Edinburgh, it is apparently going to be "Heavy snow". Sick of snow this year. Sure it's pretty when its first lands but when it then freezes over and the whole city is like an ice rink as some areas are never gritted - cue me falling over every time I go out. Maybe I should just hibernate?

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, some really great advice here. Thanks again, you've helped ease my mind.

On Wednesday here in Edinburgh, it is apparently going to be "Heavy snow". Sick of snow this year. Sure it's pretty when its first lands but when it then freezes over and the whole city is like an ice rink as some areas are never gritted - cue me falling over every time I go out. Maybe I should just hibernate?

Sick of snow? Can I have it then?
It's meant to get to 42 C (107 F) today. Ack, I hate summer.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Rain! It is raining here - though it may snow later. hmph, fed up with the snow.

But, it is Sunday - croissant and cappuccino for breakfast. Stayed in bed and attempted a cross word. All I have to do today is plan what I am going to teach next week (mostly done), list what I have to pack for my trip to Oxfordshire to stay with a friend. And very little else... oh! put the Sunday roast in the oven and prep the veggies. Sunday sorted!

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
My daughter's boyfriend is coming over. Did I mention my grandbaby's daddy is back in the picture? Things are going well so far. Soooo I was thinking my hubby and I should go out on a movie date. :)

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
I'm way too young to have seen it, but so many of the phrases have just worked their way into the British lexicon.

In other news, it was my birthday yesterday so I've got the day off today (long weekends are so much better than random days off work). Written a good chunk of words already :)

Happy Belated Birthday!!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
My daughter's boyfriend is coming over. Did I mention my grandbaby's daddy is back in the picture? Things are going well so far. Soooo I was thinking my hubby and I should go out on a movie date. :)

Fantastic! I'm so glad it's going well.

What are you going to see?

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Mmm... as a native from Scotland, I don't think I'd want the sun either. I may just burst into flames. :D

My Mum is from Scotland, I've got pale european skin, auburn hair, freeckles. I'm not built for the sun.
I dont handle the heat well at all. Even though I've lived with it my whole life, I hate it.
I woke up last night and though I was crying, it turned pout it was just sweat dripping down my face. So gross.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:hi:

My two London (UK) daughters are here for a 2 week holiday. Right now they're out in backyard, half nekkid, soaking up rays. Apparently, going back to London, in February, with a tan, is a big deal. :crazy:

Mad dogs, and ex-South Africans go out in the midday sun...

:roll:

ETA: I hear you, FM. I've got the same complexion and last year, I had to have some spots of 'pre-melanoma' taken off with liquid nitrogen. You'd think my kids would learn from that, but noooooo....

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my goodness, Gail, glad you got them in time, thats so scary. I've got a few spots I need to have checked just to be on the safe side.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mmm... as a native from Scotland, I don't think I'd want the sun either. I may just burst into flames. :D

If you don't want the sun, IAM I'll take it. I'm fed up with the cold and the rain. Next Winter I plan to hibernate.:rant:

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Happy belated birthday OSG!

On the subject of Scottish complexions and tans - I always tell people, you know how they say the ancient Scots used to paint themselves blue? They didn't, that's just our natural skin colour. I think of my complexion as 'natually Goth' ;) But I could use some sun. Just back from Paris and it snowed half the time I was there. Have to say it was the worst convention I've ever been at and I shan't ever be going back to anything that company organises. But I am now home with my fur-babies and feeling very guilty that I did not write a single word whilst I was away...

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I have a headache. It would be so much easier if my IT guys at work could get to my request and see if they can open my zip disk of Bread & Butter rather than me retyping the whole thing for kindle, nook etc it.

Good news is I can tell I am more aware of certain boo boos than I was 12 yeas ago ie: then/than, its/it's, dialogue punctuation. Sigh... of course it is also bad news as far as the hard copies I have. Forgive me.

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
My Mum is from Scotland, I've got pale european skin, auburn hair, freeckles. I'm not built for the sun.
I dont handle the heat well at all. Even though I've lived with it my whole life, I hate it.

Hear you completely - redhead, pale skin and freckles. Worst thing for me is that if the temperature hits hot(UK hot anyway) I get I think they are called heat rashes. Being pale skinned you also have that layering of sun cream before I dare step out in the summer.

I'm also not built for the sun!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Hey everyone. I was without a computer for quite a while but I went out and bought a new one today. Finally can get back to writing at a furious pace!

Welcome back!

I am fairly certain I would dissolve into a puddle of whimpering goo if I had to do without a computer. :D

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Gah. Drive to work this morning was three hours instead of one. Apparently a nineteen-year-old joyrider was fleeing from the police last night, crashed and killed himself, and the major road through town is closed while they investigate. I have this weird guilt for cursing the traffic jam when it results from someone's death.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Gah. Drive to work this morning was three hours instead of one. Apparently a nineteen-year-old joyrider was fleeing from the police last night, crashed and killed himself, and the major road through town is closed while they investigate. I have this weird guilt for cursing the traffic jam when it results from someone's death.

Ah, what a shame. But of course life goes on - none of this was your doing, and it's normal to be frustrated. I think it's normal to be annoyed as well as sad about the kid who lost his life. When I read of such things around here I want to go back in time and shake those children, and then lock my daughter in the basement.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, how sad. :( But yeah, it's totally natural to be annoyed. There was a big huge thing here a couple years back where a drunk kid (he was 18, I think) killed himself and several other kids in a car. Then there was a big fight over the memorial... awful stuff. :(

Liz, I'll lock my kids in with yours. :)

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score

There is NO reason for you to feel guilty because a 19 year old embarks on a course of action that gets him killed and causes a lot of inconvenience to a lot of people. I have no sympathy for these selfish, inconsiderate so called 'joy riders'.

tarak

for certain qualities of "sane"
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg
Can I send my kids to hang out with yours, HJ and lizmonster? My youngest isn't potty trained yet, but she's really cute. And bionic.

I haven't gotten much writing done at all lately, but I'm beta reading three manuscripts right now, so at least I'm doing writerly things.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Can I send my kids to hang out with yours, HJ and lizmonster? My youngest isn't potty trained yet, but she's really cute. And bionic.

Send them on over, you guys. We've got a nice wooded yard, a swing set, and three iPads in the house. :D And my husband makes fresh bread, and cake.

Right now, I'm annoyed with a friend of mine on Facebook. She's one of the "I've always wanted to write a book" crowd. I read a short story she wrote once - a tad rough, but rather nice; she's not without talent.

But she is one of those "I can't write a whole book because I'm too much of a perfectionist" people. I told her that's what I'd found useful about NaNoWriMo - that going through that exercise had broken me of the habit of needing it to be Perfect[tm] coming off the pen.

At which she doubles down on the perfectionist thing: Can't you just write 50,000 words of nonsense for NaNo? Isn't that the opposite of writing? And on and on again, about how she's just too much of a perfectionist to DO that to herself. Like her Art is somehow better than my Art because she keeps it in her head, where it has no flaws.

I am not without sympathy. For years, decades - most of my life - I wrote for no one but myself. But it wasn't the perfectionist meme that stopped me from writing a novel; for me, it was lack of making the time to actually do it. That's part of what NaNo did for me; it got me into a habit. Just like writing software (my day job), when I did it every day it got easier. It never comes out perfect (just like software :)), but I have a much better idea now of what I can and can't pull off, how long things take me, what my limits are, etc.

Feh. She's like this about a lot of things: if she can't be the best, she's going to take her marbles and go home. On the other hand...she's at least 15 years older than I am. Part of me wants to say to her "Fine, but how much more time do you think you're going to get to do this?" Heck, I'm 48 and I feel like I'm running out of time. None of us knows, do we? What's the point of putting something off if you really want to do it?

In other words, Annoying Perfectionist Lady: Maybe you do have the perfect novel in you. Maybe what you write will be unimaginably superior to anything I could possibly come up with. But until you write it...stop telling me how much better than me you are.

(Wow. That was a rant! :rant:)

tarak

for certain qualities of "sane"
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg
Liz, did I mention I have four kids? :) And I'd like to come along for the fresh bread and cake?

I'd be annoyed withe the FB friend, too. It takes a lot of courage to send your work out for people to crit, for agents to reject. Claiming she's too much of a perfectionist makes me wonder if she doesn't have that courage.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Liz, did I mention I have four kids? :) And I'd like to come along for the fresh bread and cake?

I'd be annoyed withe the FB friend, too. It takes a lot of courage to send your work out for people to crit, for agents to reject. Claiming she's too much of a perfectionist makes me wonder if she doesn't have that courage.

Meh! Courage? Maybe she just lacks the skill and talent to be a successful write and knows it!

I've had too many glasses of sherry/wine and am going to bed! BUT I am celebrating getting my senior rail card thingy which means I get a third off rail fares. Cheaper and less stressful than driving!