What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Finished All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill. This was a really good YA time travel book. I was a bit confused at first, but it was so interesting that I kept reading. And it stayed interesting. In fact, it was quite the page turner. I just had to know how things would turn out. I also felt like I got a pretty good feel for the characters despite the fast-moving plot. The book's just brimming with conflict.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Now I've finished The Wizard Heir by Cinda Williams Chima. This is a good, fun series (starting with The Warrior Heir). It doesn't do anything particularly groundbreaking, but I've enjoyed it.

Racey

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finished ACID by Emma Pass and found it rather meh. I didn't quite believe in the worldbuilding and the antagonist is two dimensional plus the whole .... really began to bore me after a while and I didn't believe in the romance for one moment.
MM

I stopped reading ACID halfway through which I very rarely do :/

I've just started reading Pawn by Aimee Carter and I'm finding it interesting so far.

moniquehodge

Freelance Editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.moniquehodge.com
Finished The Shade of the Moon by Beth Pfeffer. This is the fourth book in the series, and each book can kind of stand on their own. I loved the first and second book, but the third and fourth are a little meh. This is probably my least favorite yet, though there were good parts. I'm not that keen on male narrators though, especially this one.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater. It was a good book, but I felt like it moved too slowly. The races mentioned in the title don't happen until you're about 90 percent of the way through the book, so all the stuff leading up to them feels a bit like setup. I did like the characters, though, so that kept me reading.

Judy Koot

WordDreamer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Skimread "What Gloria Wants" by Sarah Withrow.
Sooo boring, I even felt a bit angry b/c I found it such a waste of time (and still, I continued reading hoping it would get better, ugh). Can't believe this book got nominated for... Whatever.

Last edited:

LupineMoon

Registered
Reaction score
Finished "Divergent" and debating whether to continue. I liked "The Hunger Games" much better.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Finished "Divergent" and debating whether to continue. I liked "The Hunger Games" much better.

Same here. I still liked Divergent, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as The Hunger Games. The first book of Divergent felt at times like a long training montage. I actually liked Insurgent better because the training montage was over.

As for Allegiant, I have mixed feelings. It wasn't as strong as the other books, but the ending really hit me emotionally.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
How relieving! I thought I was the only one stuck at Divergent's training montage ^_^. Maybe I ought to give it another go.

QueenofLALALand

ignoring the odds
Registered
Reaction score
I'm halfway through THE RAVEN BOYS by Maggie Steifvater. I didn't get truly sucked in until about 100 pages through, but now I'm hooked.

Judy Koot

WordDreamer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I figured out why the YA book I read the other day chagrined me to no end.
It wasn't only b/c of boredom (it can happen), but b/c I had false expectations: the book description and fresh girly cover made me think it was a romcom.
It turned out to be a drama with a major D: an insecure girl gets a relationship with a beautiful boy, who turns out to be kind of abusive and has a super creepy stalker-friend to boot.
A word to the publisher: redesign that cover and rewrite that blurb, dudes.

Last edited:

thejamesramos

I write stuff sometimes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thejamesramos.wordpress.com
I'm currently reading Reboot by Amy Tintera, and I must say, it is one of the best YA titles I've read in a while. It's got a bit of the dystopian future thing going, with a solid romance and awesome character development. I highly recommend it.
Also, the sequel, Rebel, just came out.

Judy Koot

WordDreamer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading Reboot by Amy Tintera, and I must say, it is one of the best YA titles I've read in a while. It's got a bit of the dystopian future thing going, with a solid romance and awesome character development. I highly recommend it.

Your post made me curious, just downloaded a sample.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Finished HALF-BAD. I don't know what I think. I had many feels for the MC, but there were some weird plotting and narrative choices that turned me off at the beginning and end (and, no, it wasn't the 2nd-person. I actually really enjoyed that at the beginning).

If I haven't posted this yet, I started DANGEROUS by Shannon Hale a bit ago. I loved the first chapter, and it's been taking a bit after that to get going, but I'm hoping to get far enough into it today to really be involved with it *trusts Shannon Hale*

Last edited:

Goldberry

Registered
Reaction score

I have just finished "Divergent" as well, and I can't decide if I should continue the second book. I kept feeling like the book was trying to recapture what made "Hunger Games" popular.

I didn't find the factions very convincing. I felt disappointed in the ending. Should I go on to the next book?

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still reading GOING OVER by Beth Kephart... it's only been a few days but it feels like it's been forever. For such a slow book, it has an awfully slow pace :/

Once I'm done, I'm jumping head first into EVERYTHING LEADS TO YOU by Nina LaCour. Not only is Nina one of my favourite authors, but this book is special to me for another reason. There's a character in there named Rebecca, named after me because I donated to Nina's Kickstarter for the HOLD STILL movie. I flipped forward and saw "blah blah," Rebecca said" and I was so excited!!

Judy Koot

WordDreamer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished "Geek Girl" by Holly Smale. Liked the beginning, plus the end.
Skimread everything in between: it was slow and nothing interesting happened, really.
Pity, I really looked forward to seeing how an übergeek-accidentally-turned-model would handle herself.

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score
Once I'm done, I'm jumping head first into EVERYTHING LEADS TO YOU by Nina LaCour. Not only is Nina one of my favourite authors, but this book is special to me for another reason. There's a character in there named Rebecca, named after me because I donated to Nina's Kickstarter for the HOLD STILL movie. I flipped forward and saw "blah blah," Rebecca said" and I was so excited!!

I'm reading this now. That's so cool. I'm excited to see who Rebecca is!

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
We are 4 posts away from 10K, folks, so while I'm paying attention and thinking about it, I'm just going to pop us over to a new thread.

I'll link when I'm done. Don't forget to subscribe to the new thread, if you were subscribed to this one.

ETA: New thread can be found here: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290996

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.