"The 15 Punctuation Marks in Order of Difficulty"

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Saw this on (where else) Facebook. I haven't checked it out completely as to accuracy - and don't think I'd be qualified to make judgments on it anyway. A printable poster about punctuation.

http://thevisualcommunicationguy.com/2014/06/05/the-15-punctuation-marks-in-order-of-difficulty/

"Ever wonder why you can’t figure out when and where to stick a comma? It’s probably because commas, by far, have more rules and applications than any other punctuation mark. But why do so many people use the semicolon incorrectly? Comparatively, it should be one of the easiest punctuation marks to master. And why doesn’t anybody seem to use the en dash?"

But it's a conversation piece, at least among writers.

What do you think - is this accurate? Helpful?

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
The period has more uses and poses more problems than the question mark, so they should switch places.

NRoach

Registered
Reaction score
I am glad that the semicolon isn't being treated like the ugly ducking; the poor thing gets far too much hate.

Smeasking

Just call me "Sox" :)
Registered
Reaction score
Saw this on (where else) Facebook. I haven't checked it out completely as to accuracy - and don't think I'd be qualified to make judgments on it anyway. A printable poster about punctuation.

http://thevisualcommunicationguy.com/2014/06/05/the-15-punctuation-marks-in-order-of-difficulty/

"Ever wonder why you can’t figure out when and where to stick a comma? It’s probably because commas, by far, have more rules and applications than any other punctuation mark. But why do so many people use the semicolon incorrectly? Comparatively, it should be one of the easiest punctuation marks to master. And why doesn’t anybody seem to use the en dash?"

But it's a conversation piece, at least among writers.

What do you think - is this accurate? Helpful?

Being someone who is presently trying to have a better grasp on grammar, I found this very helpful. Thanks! It's now printed and posted up on my wall, next to my desk. :tongue

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to run in here light my hair on fire and leave screaming, but now you have intrigued me with your chart of punction.

This from a certified dyslexic who is terrified of punctuation, especially commas, and is working to overcome said fear!

NRoach

Registered
Reaction score
I was going to run in here light my hair on fire and leave screaming, but now you have intrigued me with your chart of punction.

This from a certified dyslexic who is terrified of punctuation, especially commas, and is working to overcome said fear!

A certified dyslexic who is terrified of commas, and perfectly used a pair to separate a vocative phrase, I might add.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ever wonder why you can’t figure out when and where to stick a comma? It’s probably because commas, by far, have more rules and applications than any other punctuation mark.

I had trouble with commas through all of grade school and much of high school because many teachers (not English teachers) parroted advice like "put a comma where you take a breath" and "if you feel a pause, stick a comma in it."

When I was tasked to help write a manual, the army called a halt to such nonsense and outlined five necessary rules for commas. The remainder are optional or superfluous; no more problems.

Imagine my surprise when college English classes and graduate school studies in English pretty much echoed the same five rules.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
I had trouble with commas through all of grade school and much of high school because many teachers (not English teachers) parroted advice like "put a comma where you take a breath" and "if you feel a pause, stick a comma in it."

When I was tasked to help write a manual, the army called a halt to such nonsense and outlined five necessary rules for commas. The remainder are optional or superfluous; no more problems.

Imagine my surprise when college English classes and graduate school studies in English pretty much echoed the same five rules.

What are the five rules??? Are you going to leave us hanging here like some unwanted participle?

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

Don't tell us punctuation challenged there are five rules for comma's and then just run off into the forest!!

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What are the five rules?

Don't tell us punctuation challenged there are five rules for commas and then just run off into the forest!

Sorry. No one's asked before. :Shrug: Rules and a few examples:

For U.S. publications, five rules explain necessary commas. A few other commas are optional, but the majority are superfluous—excessive, pointless, unnecessary.

Comma Rule Number 1: A comma is necessary to separate a compound structure, two or more main clauses joined by one of the seven coordinating conjunctions: and, or, nor, but, for, yet, so.
The woman drank black coffee, and she ate a croissant.
You can conduct yourself in a pleasant manner, or you can be horrible.
Evan loves Suzanne, but he cannot forget Elena.

If a writer chooses to make those constructions into simple sentences, then the comma is not used:
The woman drank black coffee and ate a croissant.
You can conduct yourself in a pleasant manner or be horrible.
Evan loves Suzanne but cannot forget Elena.

Comma Rule Number 2: A comma is necessary to separate a long introductory element before a main clause. Rule 2 holds true for both simple and complex constructions:
Even though ignorant of our culture, we must always be kind to strangers. (Simple)
Since Constance is new to our company, all of us should strive to help her. (Complex)

It’s always correct to set off any introductory element with a comma, but a more modern lean toward fewer commas in novels has made the practice optional for shorter elements. Either is acceptable:
Later, you can join us for dessert.
Later you can join us for dessert.

Comma Rule Number 3: Commas separate items in a series:
James found blondes attractive, redheads adorable, and brunettes irresistible.

The final comma before the conjunction is always correct. However, the journalistic practice to omit the serial (or Oxford) comma is every author’s option:
James found blondes attractive, redheads adorable and brunettes irresistible.

Also correct is an occasional asyndeton, the intentional omission of the normally occurring conjunction (and, or, nor, but, for, yet, so) in a series of words, phrases, or clauses:
James found blondes attractive, redheads adorable, brunettes irresistible.

Comma Rule Number 4: Interjections and forms of address are set off with commas.
Yes, I will accompany you to the ball.
No, I won’t!
You, sir, are out of line.
You may be assured, ma’am, of our concern.
Are you certain of that prognosis, Doctor?
Thank you, Mother, for all you do.

There’s a world of difference between “Let’s eat, Grandpa” and “Let’s eat Grandpa.”

Comma Rule Number 5: Words, phrases, or clauses (appositives and infinitives included) which interrupt the main clause must be set off with commas fore and aft. The rule includes the state following the name of a city and the year following the day of the month.

Mrs. Ellen Bennet, my mother, is in the drawing room.
The Brooklyn Bridge, as opposed to this matchstick construction, is sturdy and reliable.
He was born on June 23, 1941, near Big Timber, Montana, along the Yellowstone River.
Those earrings, in my opinion, would look better hanging over formal dining tables.

5A. The final necessary use of the comma is the most difficult for many writers. It’s actually the same as rule 5, but it’s often presented in isolation because of its difficulty. As with appositives and infinitive phrases, it separates nonrestrictive clauses in a sentence. The nonrestrictive clause is not essential to the sentence. It merely adds information:

Abraham Lincoln, who was the tallest of U.S. presidents, was an imposing figure of a man.
The grizzly, a bear misunderstood by tourists, is named Ursus horribilis for good reason.

By contrast, a restrictive clause is essential to the sentence:
The lady who cried is my mother.
The man who shot Liberty Valance became a state senator.

Last edited: