Calling all beaders....you whoooooo

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for asking Shadowflame. I've never taken photos of my work--it's at a "preschool" stage as I've just started. I have some work I could photograph. I'll see if I have something I won't die of embarrassment if others see it!

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
:D
I remember how nervous I was when I started showing my work. Heck I still hesitate before I hit send/accept on boards or even on my FB page.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
God, yes. Many years ago I saw a black tatted scarf with iridescent orange beads at a local fiber art gallery. It was far beyond my means, and I'm afraid I've forgotten the artist's name. But it was gorgeous work, very gothic.

As for showing off work, I repeat: we all start somewhere. I've kept a lot of my old clunky work from 16 - 20 years ago, and I'm having fun rebuilding it to higher specs.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I've finally decided I really need to start entering contests. Especially when I've got people I really trust pushing me. (and it also looks like my hours at work will be cut sometime within the next year)

*big breath and goes to do research

Snowstorm

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, here goes. have very little time to play with tatting (I'm new at that too) and had a thought to spice up the tatting. This is a greeting card I made to see how it all looks. (I MEAN it when I say I'm at the very basic level):

Love_zps0db50b86.jpg

ETA: Hey, this works (uploading photos from Photobucket!)

Last edited:

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
That's very cute Snow. I love embellishment. I've got some snuff tins and cans that are going to become treasure boxes very very soon.

Snowstorm

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Shadowflame. I appreciate embellshments too, such as what you're planning on doing with the snuff tins and cans!

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
So the necklace I was planning on submitting won't be eligible--since I showed it on FB as a wip. DOHA! lol I didn't know that. Oh well, once I get some money saved up, I've got plans for a very intricate piece with many components. In my head it will be fabulous but in reality I'm wondering how many adjustments I'll have to make.

Snowstorm

Registered
Reaction score
Oh no, Shadowflame! So one of the conditions is it must not be on display of any sort? That's good to know for all of us. Good luck with your piece.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Yep no one should see it. Oh well. I can make another and keep it secret, but its HARD! lol

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
How's things going everyone.
Now that it is spring (or supposed to be *glares at snow on the ground*) I've gotten a lot of things in my head to do. 2-3 projects started including writing that I jump to when I get bored with one or my wrists get sore.
It's good to be back in the swing of things

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I'm redoing my bronze steampunk necklace: taking off the amber glass drops, and adding clear glass teardrops. I decided not to enter the Bead & Button show this year, since I just don't have any showstoppers that I really love.

I just finished eighteen 4" x 16" fiber art award ribbons for a regional art festival, and they had beads sewn on to make the fabric applique sparkle. Ten days of solid work! The necklace will be a pleasant break.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Lovely piece

So what are you working on now?

Snowstorm

Registered
Reaction score
Beautiful, Filigree! You are so talented. I love the addition of the back loop so it's so pretty even from the back.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Pretty is an accident: I have to put catch-loops on the backs of heavy necklaces so they won't fall if the toggle clasp slips. It has happened.

I'm putting beadwork aside for a little while, as I finish up the embroidery on a piece I'm currently calling the Coat From Hell. I have fantasies of wearing it to conventions and art openings.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Very nice.
Started a St. Petersburg chain that will be about 60 inches long. First round done. I think I'll have round 2 done by tomorrow. Will see how much wider I want before I plan rounds 3 and 4.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
It's actually a very simple stitch. Starting the second lane takes a bit of reverse engineering but it goes really quickly

Currently debating whether to add 2 more rows or leave it with the base. Wish I had enough black matte beads to do the outside, it would contrast well with the transparent iris grey beads. But the more I look at this the more convinced I am that it is finished. hmmmmmm

Last edited:

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Because life if really fucking with us, I am considering a small fundraiser to help with the purchase of an oxygen concentrator and equipment so I can get my glass studio going (see earlier posts on dayjob hours being cut)
I know about Kickstarter and am reading up on some others.
I wouldn't want to raise a lot of money just about $500. Yes there will be goodies for every level of donation.
What do you guys think

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Ohhh nice Filigree.
8s work up so quickly.