Why are so many contributors so anti Dan Brown? (Moved from Novels)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
You know what I really hate? The fact that "jealousy" and "envy" seem to have become synonymous. Yep, even some dictionaries now do this.

Back in the day, when the sun always shone and the birds always sang and only us geniuses ever got published, "jealousy" could only arise from something you already possessed, which you feared another might take from you. Whereas "envy" arose from all those things that other people, stupid and ugly and unworthy people, had, while you did not.

If jealousy were thus defined, there's no way I could be jealous of Dan Brown. Because I don't own him. Too bad for my bankbook. ;)

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Methinks this member started their account just to ask this question, thus "Curious2009".
Dan Brown? IZZAT YOU?!
I like sporks. :)
000bsg89

Eric San Juan

Boxy But Safe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsanjuan.com
Came across as very clearly a drive-by to me. Who signs up at an Internet community simply to lob a, "You're all jealous, aren't you?" bomb?

We just saw who.

Big Boomer

Registered
Reaction score
I liked the story lines of his books but not enamored of the writing style employed. However, more kudos to him for catching the public's imagination plus scoring films out of them.
ETA: I am speaking here as a reader and a qualified film maker, not as a 'jealous' writer as purported in the first post.

Last edited:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
These threads almost always end up in the AW equivalent of two baseball teams brawling...

y'know, where everybody from both dugouts charges out onto the ground and forms a pulsating circle of people, none of whom can possibly be hitting anybody from the opposition team because how could someone even tell who they're throwing punches at? And then the umpires come along and calm things down and occasionally eject a few people from the game for a wee bit. And meanwhile, the kid in the stands who actually started the fight by throwing a hotdog at someone is quietly chuckling away at how clever he is.

Kurtz

Fix up, look sharp.
Registered
Reaction score
y'know, where everybody from both dugouts charges out onto the ground and forms a pulsating circle of people, none of whom can possibly be hitting anybody from the opposition team because how could someone even tell who they're throwing punches at? And then the umpires come along and calm things down and occasionally eject a few people from the game for a wee bit. And meanwhile, the kid in the stands who actually started the fight by throwing a hotdog at someone is quietly chuckling away at how clever he is.

We call this Glasgow Style

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't make me eject you people. THis umpire does it "Texas Style."

That means I use my semi-auto.

ETA: Oh, who am I kidding. Around here I make everyone brownies and we sit cross-legged on the mat and share about our day. Don't make me put you in the "naughty corner."

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
She lives in the naughty corner.

Leila

bookshop girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theleilasoliloquy.blogspot.com
I am really over the whole 'jealous' thing. You know, where someone criticises Dan Brown/Stephanie Meyer/Christopher Paolini/your mother, and the instant response is, 'well you're just jealous'. I can think that Dan Brown writes horrendous prose and flat characters without it meaning that I am jealous of him in any way. I don't walk around telling people who don't like The Time Traveller's Wife that they're just jealous of Audrey Niffenegger, or people who don't enjoy Hamlet that they're jealous of Shakespeare. An opinion is an opinion. It doesn't automatically imply that if I had their success I wouldn't feel the same way. If I were as successful as Dan Brown, guess what? I still wouldn't like his novels.

Rant over. Can I have a cookie now? With chocolate chips?

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Psh, you're just jealous of people who can see how jealous you are. ;-)

You know what got ME about Dan Brown in A&D? I thought the mistakes were on purpose, and he was setting his characters up as sort of paper academics in a great use of show-don't-tell.

I shall never get over the disappointment of realizing this was untrue.

Status
Not open for further replies.