Elder Scrolls V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
like the game so far, but certain aspects of the thieves guild and dark brotherhood storylines require a great deal of suspension of disbelief.

SPOILERS

So Mercer stole from the vault. There are three keys to the vault. It requires two keys to open. This means that two people have to be present whenever it is opened. Now, what is the purpose of a vault? Not to hoard money, but to keep it safe. So that it can be spent. So that fellow thieves can be paid. So that people can be bribed, and the dark brotherhood can be contracted. In other words, operational expenses, and if the guild is far-sighted, a buffer for guild members to fall back on during hard times. Now, if vault money is being used for operational expenses, then the vault needs to be accessed pretty regularly. So how the hell did nobody ever notice Mercer emptied the whole damn thing?

Also, what was the point of bringing you along to confront Karliah, and then killing you? Betrayal for the sake of betrayal?

And then we have the dark brotherhood, which is even more ridiculous. We go through all these preparations, assassinate several key figures, and then all of a sudden "Oh wait we don't really want to assassinate the emperor, here, take him and we'll call it even." Really? Really? Really? Not to mention the whole plan of how to lure the emperor out was a bit dubious to begin with.

Also, if the emperor gave the gourmet a writ, he must therefore know who the gourmet is (and presumably, so does his elite squad of bodyguards.) Thus, when I showed up instead, with his writ, I should've been immediately arrested.

And don't get me started on how anticlimactic actually killing the emperor of fricking Cydoril was. I mean, compared with getting to impersonate gourmet, which was really cool, in spite of not being well thought out, it just wasn't very inspired at all.

Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed with the Dark Brotherhood. I'd love for it to take a turn for the better but I suspect I'm actually near the end of the storyline sooo... Yeah.

SPOILERS

Last edited:

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
You need to fill them with a soul. Then when you select the ENCHANTED WEAPON, then there is a button that charges it.
Wait! You need to fill them first...?

:poke:Just teasing you.

Thanks! Selecting the weapon first seems assbackward (at least vs Oblivion), but at least some one knew. How did you know btw? I scoured the instructions and could not find it.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
On the note of the instructions, I've found that the booklet was not really informative in the least. (Though it was better than Soul Calibur's...)

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Wait! You need to fill them first...?

:poke:Just teasing you.

Thanks! Selecting the weapon first seems assbackward (at least vs Oblivion), but at least some one knew. How did you know btw? I scoured the instructions and could not find it.

I noticed it when I was looking at my new magical sword and noticed a button labled "Recharge"

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I've beaten the main quest - I always barrel through on my first run through.

Now, my new character is an archer/2 swords/light armor/sneaky.

Fun so far :D

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
I love it! But there's some annoying bugs. Ebenezar in particular. I'll just leave it at that to provide a minimum of spoilers.

I'm turning into a battle-mage, so I'm loving the class-less nature of the game. I've got a sword, a Blade armour and the 'Flames' spell.

I recognise that Oblivion was a great game, but I could never get into it that much, but I have a much better appreciation for this game. It's a more vibrant, breathing world - sort of like a Fallout world.

I just turned level 7, so I haven't played it that long. But it's awesome so far.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Now, my new character is an archer/2 swords/light armor/sneaky.
I always play as an uber-sneaky archer. Which is why NOTHING ever realizes I am shooting it until they've already dropped. What can I say? I'm an excellent shot. (Yes. I have an ego in that respect.)

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
S'funny, I got nearly half way thru Oblivion before I even thought about archery, then I found it and discovered the sneak+archery perk and never looked back. In Skyrim, my guy is way into Sneak, Archery, Lt Arm, and dual-wielding blades. As long as I can get an enemy alone, he/she's mine. Groups, not so easy.

I was only pursuing Restoration in the magic skills, but have since added Alteration for the buffs and the resistance to magic perks. Honestly, I was slaying dragons without too much trouble but dying regularly at the hands of doofus mages...

I like the enchanting, but have not been able to coax myself into buying any of the perks. And, of course, my speech is through the roof but that is because I am a compulsive treasure hunter and have amassed tons of money selling crap (er, treasures) to merchants. Again, though, I haven't bought any of the speech perks. Likewise, alchemy is unavoidable, but also without perks.

(There should be skill books like in DA, that you read and get a free perk!)

I just completely gave up on smithing. I can't have anything else levelling me up.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
(There should be skill books like in DA, that you read and get a free perk!)
Well, there are plenty of books that will raise your skill points if you read them. And other books that start quests. That's why I've been reading every book I see.

ETA: Also, if you happen across it, legitimately READ "The Oblivion Crisis". It is hilarious.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
Well, there are plenty of books that will raise your skill points if you read them. And other books that start quests. That's why I've been reading every book I see.

ETA: Also, if you happen across it, legitimately READ "The Oblivion Crisis". It is hilarious.
I did find The Oblivion Crisis; it was one of the few books I actually read, rather than just flipped through. And I just found another book that started me on a quest. The problem with finding skill books is they count toward your next level. And they are often in things--like conjuration or heavy armor--that I am ignoring. (Actually, all my skill points in Conjuration and Destruction have come from books; it seems like there are more of those than any other, except maybe Sneak.). And anyone else finding that every time you pick a lock your lockpicking increases? I think that may be my highest skill at this point.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I did find The Oblivion Crisis; it was one of the few books I actually read, rather than just flipped through. And I just found another book that started me on a quest. The problem with finding skill books is they count toward your next level. And they are often in things--like conjuration or heavy armor--that I am ignoring. (Actually, all my skill points in Conjuration and Destruction have come from books; it seems like there are more of those than any other, except maybe Sneak.). And anyone else finding that every time you pick a lock your lockpicking increases? I think that may be my highest skill at this point.
See, that's not a problem for me because I don't really care what makes me level up...and yes, even if you screw up while lockpicking, the skill increases.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard that the top level is 70, but things slow down at 50. Alternately, I've heard that there's no top level, but things slow down at 50 and WAY down at 70. I'm not sure what's true, so I'll just keep playing.

If 50 is the top level, you can pick five skills to max, though I've noticed most of them have a few optional perks that depend largely on playstyle. That lets you spread to six skills to dig deeply into. If the top level is 70 you could max seven skills. I can't think of many classes that would need more than that.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
As long as I max out Sneak (which I'm mostly done with already) and Archery, I'll be happy.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
It seems like even the first point in sneak is a huge upgrade. I think putting one point in any skill you use regularly seems highly useful. Especially with any spell you cast often.

Reifier

No Stamina
Registered
Reaction score
My bf, just purchased the game and he's been on the couch doing nothing but. Did anyone get really shitty graphics in the beg? It was like runescape -except the earlier versions

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
This is true. Skyrim seems a lot more easygoing on the leveling thing though.

Yeah, I'm basically levelling everything up at once, with an emphasis on smithing, alchemy, enchanting etc. - I'm barely paying any attention to my character build. In Oblivion, that would have killed me stone-dead by now, but in Skyrim I'm still happily charging about nabbing Daedric artifacts, and the fights are just the right side of hairy.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
The problem with games like these is that you min-max them, so there's one perfect build, and every other build is sub-par. I think that in Skyrim, I'm not bothering so much about the build. I just go with what feels intuitively right, and it's fine.

Unlike some of you, I'm more of the get-in-the-monster's-face-and-bludgeon, with a side helping of destruction spells, in this game. It's great fun. Sort of like Thor. Hammer in one hand, and lightning in the other. If we keep the associations nordic here. :D So, destruction, heavy armour and one-handed are sort of important, and I find I fill my perks mostly in these, but otherwise I'm not too concerned.

Last edited:

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
My bf, just purchased the game and he's been on the couch doing nothing but. Did anyone get really shitty graphics in the beg? It was like runescape -except the earlier versions
Nope, might have just been a one-time thing?

Yeah, I'm basically levelling everything up at once, with an emphasis on smithing, alchemy, enchanting etc. - I'm barely paying any attention to my character build. In Oblivion, that would have killed me stone-dead by now, but in Skyrim I'm still happily charging about nabbing Daedric artifacts, and the fights are just the right side of hairy.
Speaking of Daedric stuff. Has anyone found Clavicus Vile's shrine? He's my favorite of the Daedra princes and I really want to know where he is this time around.

Unlike some of you, I'm more of the get-in-the-monster's-face-and-bludgeon, with a side helping of destruction spells, in this game. It's great fun. Sort of like Thor. Hammer in one hand, and lightning in the other. If we keep the associations nordic here. :D So, destruction, heavy armour and one-handed are sort of important, and I find I fill my perks mostly in these, but otherwise I'm not too concerned.
I DIE when I do that.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Speaking of Daedric stuff. Has anyone found Clavicus Vile's shrine? He's my favorite of the Daedra princes and I really want to know where he is this time around.

Yep! Just last night - a good quest. I met a little doggie on the road outside Falkreath...

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mutteringsofascribe.blogspot.com
GAH. I wish I had money. :cry:

The trailers look awesome, everything I've read about the skills seem awesome (although, why'd they take out Mysticism??? That was always my favorite magic skill... :( ), it just seems bloody AWESOME.

...I hate being poor. I don't waaaana wait for the price to go down... TT.TT

Status
Not open for further replies.