Microsoft Word 2010/2007

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I have both Word 2007 and 2010 on my laptop. It's new; it came with Word 2007 (but I have to enter a product key that I don't have) and I bought Word 2010 for it. I didn't use 2007 because I assumed that it was just a trial version. I used 2010 for all my documents. Until yesterday, everything was fine.

I downloaded updates for 2010 that Microsoft asked me about. Downloaded, all fine. Sometimes 2010 would freeze part of the way through because of downloading, but it was okay.

I took my laptop somewhere that didn't have Internet. They notified me that they'd lost connection, but I didn't think it was a big deal because I knew there was no connection. But midway through 2010 stopped responding and I lost my document. It Autosaved it, but whenever I tried to bring it up or do anything to it, 2010 went back to not responding. I had to wait until I got home and had connection for the updates to finish and then I could open it, although it notified me that a "serious error" was caused last time I opened it. But I opened it anyway, and everything seemed fine.

Now, though, it keeps opening my 2010 documents in 2007. I go to my Start menu, press the Recent Documents tab next to 2010, click on the one I want, and it loads into 2007. And every time it opens, it asks me for a "product key" that I don't have. All I do is press cancel and it opens anyway. The only way to open my 2010 documents in 2010 is to go to the main Microsoft Word 2010 program and open it from there. Which is fine, but I want to know why it's doing this. :( Does anyone know?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if this is going to be any help. I just bought a computer that came with Office 2010. It didn't have all the features of my Home Student 2007 so I uninstalled 2010 before I installed 2007. 2007 installed and updated.

Perhaps uninstalling your 2007 are reinstalling 2010 and updating will help.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Ink Goddess --

RegDog is on the right trail here. (oh look, doggy humor -- sorry.)

You've likely done some registry damage by interrupting the update.
Start by uninstalling 2007. If only because that trial version of it is going to stop working before too long.

This may solve all of your issues, but it is doubtful. Was it mine, I'd run 2010 from the disk and let it "repair" the installation.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how to get your document to default to Word 2010, but I can tell you where to find your Product ID code.
  • Click the round Office symbol in the upper left corner of the screen while in word 2007.
  • Click on Word Options at the bottom of the menu
  • Click the Resources button
  • Click the About button
  • The product Id number is on the form that displays.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
You should have uninstalled the trial version of 2007 immediately. All trialware and other cr@p foisted on you by the computer manufacturer should be cleared away as soon as possible. It's nothing but trouble and nagging.

Anyway, uninstall it now. Then run a repair with the 2010 disk if it's still fuxt. That should fix things. You might want to clean the registry yet with something like Ccleaner.

Mmm. I love Office 2010

kurzon

Registered
Reaction score
Completely uninstall BOTH 2007 and 2010 (and any related Office 2007 and 2010 programs). Then reinstall 2010.

This seems to be the only way to fix conflicting versions of Word issues.