Fox News Resident Psychiatrist: First Lady Could "Stand To Lose A Few Pounds"

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
My question? Why in the HELL does she have any say in what goes on in this country in any way, shape or form? Who elected her?
She should just STFU and move on.

She has as much right as anyone else to push for changes she believes in. The idea that anyone should 'STFU' doesn't show a lot of respect for democracy.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
She has as much right as anyone else to push for changes she believes in. The idea that anyone should 'STFU' doesn't show a lot of respect for democracy.

THIS.

Wow. Let's attack her. Yep...maybe she should just sit down and look pretty. And a little lighter while she's at it. Holy fuck.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
My question? Why in the HELL does she have any say in what goes on in this country in any way, shape or form? Who elected her?

All modern first ladies have had a "cause" to promote when they came to the White House Pat Nixon supported and promoted volunteerism, Betty Ford women's rights, Rosyln Carter brought attention to mental disabilities, Barbara Bush literacy, Hilary Clinton health care reform, Laura Bush women's rights and children's literacy, and Michele Obama wants to bring attention to military families and to childhood obesity.

All of these women supported very worthy causes, it just seems that Michelle Obama (and Hilary Clinton) has people's knickers in a knot for daring to try to help people get healthy.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, now. If government is more responsive to the oligarchy than to the average voter, it's to be expected that the wife of the biggest cheese on the block is more equal than you or I when it comes to opinions. Obviously you should marry a presidential candidate if you want an "equal" voice in the government.

raburrell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Hey, now. If government is more responsive to the oligarchy than to the average voter, it's to be expected that the wife of the biggest cheese on the block is more equal than you or I when it comes to opinions. Obviously you should marry a presidential candidate if you want an "equal" voice in the government.

You know what else works? Getting off your butt, making a cogent argument, and doing the work necessary to convince other people you're onto something to the point where they support you. As both Obamas have done from the earliest days of their careers. Neither of them were born where they are now.

YMMV.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
You know what else works? Getting off your butt, making a cogent argument, and doing the work necessary to convince other people you're onto something to the point where they support you. As both Obamas have done from the earliest days of their careers. Neither of them were born where they are now.

YMMV.

+1 Well said.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score

Uh...why should she STFU any more than anyone else should? Do you have to be elected to anything in order to have an opinion and care about something?

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com

YMMV.
But it's so much easier to hang out on the Internet and point out flaws and explain the truth to those who are too stupid to perceive it for themselves.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I looked into it. Turns out you don't have to get elected to have an opinion, nor to express it.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score

YMMV.

But it's so much easier to hang out on the Internet and point out flaws and explain the truth to those who are too stupid to perceive it for themselves.
Nice set of assumptions there, folks. You have no clue what I do when I'm off the internet to promote community growth and changes. That I do it outside the political structure without trying to get bullies to steal money to pay for the things I want to happen is just a bonus.

AncientEagle

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
I looked into it. Turns out you don't have to get elected to have an opinion, nor to express it.
And I dug even deeper and learned that the opinion you express doesn't have to be one everybody agrees with, and you're allowed to express it even if you're a member of a disliked political party and a member of a minority race.

raburrell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Didn't assume anything about you, Don. Just pointing out that the Obamas disprove your idea that the little people can't get anywhere, not the other way around.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
All modern first ladies have had a "cause" to promote when they came to the White House Pat Nixon supported and promoted volunteerism, Betty Ford women's rights, Rosyln Carter brought attention to mental disabilities, Barbara Bush literacy, Hilary Clinton health care reform, Laura Bush women's rights and children's literacy, and Michele Obama wants to bring attention to military families and to childhood obesity.

All of these women supported very worthy causes, it just seems that Michelle Obama (and Hilary Clinton) has people's knickers in a knot for daring to try to help people get healthy.
I think this is a good observation. With a caveat: I think Hillary (two l's in that ;)) Clinton went much farther than past First Ladies insofar as she was more directly involved in critical policy than the others. And I think that was--for some--a kind of straw breaking the camel's back moment. I see two reasons in this regard:

1) Simply misogyny: these various activities by First Ladies rubbed--and still rubs--some the wrong way, who think they should be having tea parties in the Rose Garden, posing for pictures at state functions, and not much else.

2) The idea that, in fact, non-elected spouses of government officials should not be involved in a very real way in policy issues on the dime of the taxpayers.

Obviously some who fall under 1) like to pretend they are arguing 2), but that's a tough angle to prove. Regardless, the reality of 1) doesn't invalidate 2) in the least.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
If I were First Lady, I think it would be a simple matter of having such huge attention that would make me want to spotlight a few causes. That's why I really liked Princess Diana, too.

I do think we've had some fairly clueless First Ladies, but I can't fault them for doing their part to get some attention on issues. The ones who were given a bigger role have been qualified to do so. It would be really scary to have that happen with someone like, say, Palin, but that's on the President. Presidents choosing the wrong people to put in big roles is its own problem and could include the First Lady if it ever came to that, imho.

But it's worked out fine so far, I think. It's certainly one role the public would have opinions on very quickly, as opposed to the head of the FDA, etc.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score

+1; this reminds me of the post-911 funtimes when anyone who said "wait, wiretaps? Bad idea...military trials, and "special courts?"" got the "If you don't like it here, go play with your islamist buddies in the sand" horseshit.....

Last edited:

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
People get paid good money to be lobbyists if it is perceived that they have the ear of someone important. No one elected them, and they do effect policy.

The first lady definitely has the ear of someone important. She can effect policy. That she's doing so on her own behalf, out of her own beliefs, should not make her less legitimate or less respected than lobbyists who are paid money to represent a cause.

And yet, while lobbyists are often hated, and I've seen people say they should be banned, I've never seen anyone say that lobbyists should "just shut the fuck up." That's incredibly disrespectful and personal. It's almost like...

Hmmm.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score

The first ladies just need to look good and shut their pie holes. Who let her out of the kitchen? I expect my first ladies to be on the cover of Good Housekeeping holding pies and crap.

(sarcasm off)

Serious time: first ladies have had causes for a very long time.

Mary Todd Lincoln: marshaled resources for the Contraband Relief Association, an organization which helped recently freed former slaves and injured soldiers.

Eleanor Roosevelt was a humanitarian who championed equal rights. She was a powerful opponent of segregation and lynching, and she fought actively for equality for African Americans. After her term as first lady, Roosevelt helped create the United Nations Charter on Human Rights, remaining an important figure on the world stage.

Nancy Reagan's name became almost synonymous with her Just Say No campaign against drug abuse.

Hilary Clinton poured her energies into devising a better health care system. Though the plan never took hold, she helped raise the visibility of health care issues nationwide. Clinton was also a strong supporter of historic preservation and education as honorary chair of the Save America's Treasures committee.

There are four. There are others out there. But, maybe it's more fun just to say, "STFU and move on," because, you know, that makes me look neat in front of my inner political circle. I guess someone needs their internet pointsies for the day.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Really, this is kind of an empty thread insofar as no one is defending Ablow because everyone seems to agree that he's slimy and his comment was total bs (and deliberately insulting/provocative, for one reason or another).

This is kind of an empty thread...that you've posted in seven times.

Thanks for the repeated contributions to the emptiness. :rolleyes

robeiae said:
That said, the use of a superlative here to "defend" the First Lady (again, I don't think she needs such a defense at all) seems to fit into a pattern I've noticed with regard to some criticisms--both warranted and unwarranted, thoughtful and asinine, imo--criticisms of President Obama.

To whit: some of his defenders counter such criticisms by proclaiming him to be better than pretty much everyone else with regard to the general issue. When he was criticized for not attending intel briefings, the defense was that he didn't need to go because he was "among the most sophisticated consumers of intelligence on the planet." When his take on pretty much any policy is questioned, he's the smartest President ever, or the like. When the issue is the law, his opinion trumps everyone else's because he went to Harvard Law (as if he's the only one in DC who did). And I suspect that he would be defended--probably has been defended--as the best looking President since JFK, if not the best looking President ever, if his looks were criticized.

Speaking on patterns, what was that derail? Warranted or unwarranted, thoughtful or asinine?

I ask because I'd really like to see you back up your claim how Obama has been proclaimed "to be better than pretty much everyone else" with some actual proof of those remarks.

Because right now it looks like you simply made that up to support an unwarranted attack on Michelle Obama's husband.

Why in the HELL anyone in P&CE would even ask such questions?

Instead "shutting the fuck up" and moving on, the First Lady of the United States is merely upholding the long tradition of the presidential spouse pursuing her own projects. Some non-partisan and some overtly political.

Don't hate. Unless you really think the country would be better if there were only more fat, lethargic kids developing juvenile diabetes.
Hey, now. If government is more responsive to the oligarchy than to the average voter, it's to be expected that the wife of the biggest cheese on the block is more equal than you or I when it comes to opinions.

Michelle Obama's opinion isn't more equal. It is less predictably redundant. :deadhorse

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
So...I'm a bit confused, Ben and Don. Help me out, here.

She has a platform because she's married to the leader of the free world. HE is in that position because he was duly elected by the voters of the United States of America -- like it or not. (And I didn't fucking like GWBush one little bit, but I sucked it up and dealt with it, regardless.) That's how representative government works. If you hate the influence that big corporations have, then get off your asses and start campaigning NOW for Elizabeth Warren. That's certainly what *I* intend to do.

You both apparently think it's somehow wrong for Michelle Obama to use her platform to speak towards improving the general health of American kids, though?

Really? WTF is wrong with you? If she's supposed to "STFU and move on" then what about you? You should get to express your opinions, but she should not?

Why is that?

What exactly is it you think she should be doing, instead? Making tuna sandwiches and pitchers of sweet tea for the Cabinet?

That's not rhetorical. I'm dead fucking serious.

WHAT do you think is the ethical/moral choice for someone, when they're given a platform and spotlight, even if they never personally sought that position? Sit down and shut the fuck up? Be modest and humble and pretend that no one is looking at you and your family and your choices?

Because that's more than a little how you're both sounding.

Thank gawd Michelle Obama is way too smart to give a flying fuck what Fox News thinks of her.

Or what either of you, or me, or anyone else who wants to Monday-morning QB thinks of her, either, for that matter.

Last edited:

JennTX

Registered
Reaction score

I keep hoping this is sarcasm, because what you said is jaw dropping.

Since you haven't been back to make it clear you were kidding, I'll take it as serious.

She is the First Lady and a citizen of this country. She did not give up her citizenship, nor was she required to stop caring about important issues, when she became first lady. Get used to the fact that from now on, most of the First Ladies in this country will be equals to their husbands in education and political knowledge.

This woman who you think should STFU is probably more intelligent and better educated than most of the elected officials in this country. Apparently, her biggest crime is wanting healthy lunches in schools and being married to Obama.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
You had me at . . .

And I didn't fucking like GWBush one little bit, but I sucked it up and dealt with it, regardless....

I don't remember rumblings of armed revolution during Dubbya's reign. I do remember some internet indecency here and there, but for the most part, the left planned for the future. And as crappy as GW was (for a president), I can still recognize Laura Bush's influence.

During her first term as first lady, Laura Bush continued to lend support to education, childhood development and teacher training. In January 2002, she testified before the Senate Committee on Education, calling for higher teachers' salaries and better training for Head Start programs. She created a national initiative called "Ready to Read * Ready to Learn" to promote reading at an early age.

As someone working in literacy at the time, this was so important. Up until 2010 (when I stopped working in literacy to pursue a higher degree), we still received funding for literacy projects that were inspired by Laura Bush.

She was also a cheerleader for breast cancer research.

I guess as a "dang hippie democrat," I should have made comments about her weight, or, told her to sit down and "STFU." But, even I (a true loather of the Bush administration), can still appreciate the former first lady's spirit.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
During her first term as first lady, Laura Bush continued to lend support to education, childhood development and teacher training. In January 2002, she testified before the Senate Committee on Education, calling for higher teachers' salaries and better training for Head Start programs. She created a national initiative called "Ready to Read * Ready to Learn" to promote reading at an early age.

As someone working in literacy at the time, this was so important. Up until 2010 (when I stopped working in literacy to pursue a higher degree), we still received funding for literacy projects that were inspired by Laura Bush.

She was also a cheerleader for breast cancer research.

I guess as a "dang hippie democrat," I should have made comments about her weight, or, told her to sit down and "STFU." But, even I (a true loather of the Bush administration), can still appreciate the former first lady's spirit.

Yep. This.

And as someone who also worked with local adult literacy programs for many of those years, I completely agree. Laura Bush did a metric crapton of really good work and brought an otherwise unsexy issue to the front of cultural awareness, which resulted in some local funding initiatives to help improve the situation.

It's become pretty much expected that the First Lady will pick one or more social causes to speak for, and that's her job.

Last edited:

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
1) Keith Ablow is a jackwagon, pure and simple.
2) Michelle Obama appears to be a healthy weight for her age and height. She's no supermodel, and that's a GOOD thing. She has a healthy, strong body that she takes care of.
3) The Faux News nitwits LOVE to rag on Mrs. Obama's healthy food and activity initiative by pretending she has set the whole country in front of a bowl of kale, sprouts and spinach and taken away all the "good" food that made America great =, like Oreos, Twinkies and deep-fried butter. They can't handle the facts so they make shit up to suit their worldview. The First Lady has always made it clear that a healthy diet has room for french fries and sweets and treats, just not at every meal all the time. But Faux News can't handle that.