Eric Cantor Loses GOP Primary

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I wouldn't be surprised if some Dems gave a shove. With Eric Cantor as the devil you know, the old axiom kind of falls apart.

Cantor is horrible.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
No, I don't think so.

Twelve percent voter turnout. One person in eight even bothered to vote, and Brat got only a bit more than half of that. Virginia is open primary, so anyone could have voted.

Maybe, but the turnout was larger than past primaries and Cantor receiver fewer votes than in his 2012 primary.
Low turnout was probably a factor but Cantor still didn't do enough to energize his supporters.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
This showed up on Andrew Sullivan's blog. It suggests that part of the reason Cantor lost was Democratic voters crossing over to get rid of him. It was an open primary.

If that's true then none of the internal conservative issue analysis of why Tea Partiers turned against him is relevent or accurate.

It may also explain why his pollsters were so ludicrously wrong. They may have been polling Republicans, selectively.

caw

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
It may also explain why his pollsters were so ludicrously wrong. They may have been polling Republicans, selectively.

caw

Only a truly shitty leader seeks nothing but good news and sunshine.

Sounds like he only hired pollsters who were either grossly incompetent or who were instructed to limit themselves to just blowing feel-good smoke up his ass.

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
I think that those members of the GOP who are really Tea Party members in elephant's clothing are too diverse and un-nail-able-down-able in their many outlooks to be so easily deemed a GOP cure all. I am especially alarmed at what seem to be the only two traits that are actually common to most of these Libertarian-ish people who back-doored themselves into the GOP.

First, I see them as reactionary and not proactive, meaning they are usually against stuff and rarely for stuff, seeking to do away with negative this or that but never seeking to institute positive thus and so. This sets a tone of antagonism and a perpetual attack mode. A perpetual tear-it-down mode. I much prefer to play in the sandbox with people whose main focus is to build new sandcastles and not shove their foot through other people's existing ones. (Yes, some rather odious sandcastles definitely need to be eliminated, but tear-it-down seems at times to be the ONLY selection on the Tea Party's transmission stick-shifter. And no pun intended but .... YMMV.)

Second, I see way too many them as lacking in any awareness of the historical background and seasoned wisdom needed to avoid repeating some of the worst blunders (and even the worst atrocities) in political history. I am specifically pointing to such face-palm moments as Michele Bachmann who famously said she thinks it would be a good idea for the media to publish lists of those politicians who are "un-American" in their political outlook, not realizing she was proposing an eerily similar repeat of McCarthyism and the life-destroying blacklists that resulted from the House Committee on Un-American Activities back in the 1950's. She epitomized that day exactly the kind of misguided zeal and road-to-hell-good-intentions that make me shake my head at the lack of wisdom of such a huge group of people who market themselves as being the only ones out there with any common sense. (Bachmann was almost immediately enlightened by several of her trusted peers to apprehend the heinous blunder inherent in her statements. And after she saw the light she backpedaled recanted publically. But it took people who DID have a grasp of history to show her that she in fact did NOT have such a grasp. And my point here is that she is not a minority in having that kind of a lack in her political/historical education.)

I do think SOME aspects of the Tea Party are good. But I also think that because there had been such a lack of passion (such as 1960's style passion) in American politics for so long, that the Tea Party's deeply reactionary DNA became an instant magnet for all things antagonistic, which is another way of saying too many of today's adherents to the Tea Party and Libertarianism are operating from a base of too much emotion and not enough reason. Thus they accidentally became a smorgasbord/composite movement of so damned many platforms of extra-heated anger and headstrong causes.
For the record, I think both the Tea Party and the OWS movement had perfectly valid points and concerns before both movements got taken over by narcissists with out of control entitlement mentalities.

As for the failure of the GOP, here's one young neo-con turned libertarian's take: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0GBBsz4qjQ Maybe you'll find it interesting.

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
The answer may be that they simply voted against him.

I heard a polling site volunteer posit that theory. (Which is about as credible as any theory I've heard so far.)

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
I don't buy the theory that Democrat cross-over votes doomed Cantor. Apparently he was so confident of victory that he wasn't even in his district on election night. He forgot his constituents.

Then this:
"While Republican primary turnout spiked by 28 percent over 2012, according to the State Board of Elections, Cantor received nearly 8,500 fewer votes this year than he did in the 2012 Republican primary, a drop that was larger than Brat's 7,200-vote margin of victory. Regardless of how many Democrats turned out to oppose Cantor, he still would have prevailed had he maintained the same level of support as in his 2012 landslide.
If Democrats showed up in large numbers to vote against Cantor, turnout should have spiked highest from 2012 in Democratic-leaning areas, with Cantor seeing an especially large drop-off in support. In fact, turnout rose slightly more in counties that voted more heavily for Mitt Romney in the 2012 presidential election."
"Some Democrats surely selected a Republican ballot and voted for David Brat, but Cantor's loss seems to be much more the result of weak support among Republican voters, some of whom showed up for a race they typically ignore to vote for the tea party conservative who was besieged with attack ads."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/06/11/did-democratic-votes-doom-eric-cantor/

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
David Brat campaign manager scrubs Facebook page after election

The campaign manager for the tea party-backed Republican who ousted House Majority Leader Eric Cantor in one of the biggest upsets in congressional history is a 23-year-old class of 2013 Haverford College graduate who posted a slew of provocative opinions on a public Facebook page that was removed from view overnight following David Brat's victory.

From comparing George Zimmerman’s shooting of unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin to abortion to calling for the abolition of the Food and Drug Administration and encouraging the adoption of the silver monetary standard, Zachary Werrell – one of just two paid staffers for the upstart campaign of Randolph-Macon College economics professor David Brat – sought in 2012 and 2013 to build a public profile as a socially conservative libertarian voice. The Facebook postings were either taken down or made private overnight Tuesday in the wake of Brat's win, but Yahoo News took screenshots of some of the remarks before they were removed from view. A cached version of Werrell's page remained available on Google as of midday Wednesday.

http://news.yahoo.com/brat-campaign-manager-scrubs-facebook-page-after-election-173536113.html

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
For the record, I think both the Tea Party and the OWS movement had perfectly valid points and concerns before both movements got taken over by narcissists with out of control entitlement mentalities.

Which, as near as I can tell, happened about fifteen minutes after whoever-it-was came up with the sound-byte "Tea Party." The discarded remnants of Jerry Falwell's old and largely discredited "Moral Majority" saw a fertile field for re-energization, and took it over the way a Venus-fly-trap captures and absorbs a wandering insect.

Speaking of "narcissists", Eric Cantor is a candidate for a Nobel Prize in that category. He's Sarah Palin, except shrewder and more articulate, but the guy never saw a camera he didn't like, and was transparently out to further his career by whatever means he thought would work.

Dang, I'm sooooooooooooooo sorry for his loss. The young Brat (ooooh, I do love irony) may be a wacko, but he won't have the position Cantor occupied, and he might not win the general election.

I do have to wonder if Cantor might not try to run a write-in campaign, analogous to what Lisa Murkowski did in Alaska four years ago, when she was similarly upset in the Republican Senatorial primary by a Tea Party-backed candidate named Joe Miller, who turned out to have a big bag of bad crap behind him. Murkowski won in a historical election, largely because she was backed by lots of Democrats who knew their candidate could not win, and did not want Miller to be the state's U.S. Senator*. In this Virginia election, however, it's not likely that Dems would vote for Cantor even if he did that, and it would probably split the Republican vote in a disastrous way. But I don't know how safely Red Cantor's congressional district is, so Dems may have an opportunity to pick up a seat here.

caw

Last edited:

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
One reason being put forward for his loss was his support for immigration reform.
Further analysis makes this seem unlikely. The most obvious reason seems to be the correct one: People didn't much like him.

A quote from an anonymous Cantor aide sums up the man neatly: "He wears Prada shoes with lifts . . ."

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Further analysis makes this seem unlikely. The most obvious reason seems to be the correct one: People didn't much like him.

A quote from an anonymous Cantor aide sums up the man neatly: "He wears Prada shoes with lifts . . ."

Possibly a lot of truth in this. Once he hit the national stage, Eric Cantor turned into a narcissistic showboat, not as ridiculous as Sarah Palin was when she got befamous, but exhibiting a lot of the same unpalatable qualities, and seeming incapable of recognizing how negatively that behavior came across.

One minor background demon on my shoulder wonders if he also might not have suffered, in the minds of some "Tea Party" enthusiasts, by being Jewish. There isn't a shortage of racism, anti-semitism, anti-gay, anti-lots-of-things-that-ain't-white-bread-God-fearin'-good-ol'-Jesus-lovin'-folks stuff attached like barnacles to the Tea Party movement these days.

caw

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Republicans: If You Reduce Cantor's Loss to Immigration Reform, You Will Keep Losing
As much as a single person could personify everything that sucks about the contemporary GOP—a patently fake commitment to small, limited government, a lack of social tolerance, and uncritical support for a military-industrial complex that has lost the last two wars it foisted on Americans—that person was Eric Cantor.
In other words, Cantor represents big government conservatiism in its most fulsome manifestation. And it's this package of B.S., not anything related to immigration, that has driven voter identification with the GOP down to 25 percent according to Gallup. Until Republicans understand that they cannot mix libertarianish rhetoric about reducing the size, scope, and spending of government with a massive buildup of spending and regulation and a buttinsky, intolerant attitude toward social issues, they will keep losing elections.

Either own the fact that you are in favor of slightly less spending than Democrats and want to marginalize social outgroups or start living up to your rhetoric. Voters, it seems, are neither stupid nor receptive to lies.

sanshisan

Registered
Reaction score
In a huge upset, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor has lost his primary to a Tea Party backed challenger.

Cantor, a thorough conservative, apparently was not conservative enough for Republican voters in his Virginia district. One reason being put forward for his loss was his support for immigration reform.

This is a significant story with serious political ramifications.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/poli...loses-gop-primary-to-tea-party-challenger.ece

Yes. Obama's platform of amnesty for 12 million illegals (titled `immigration reform') is a huge hot button issue here in Virginia, although kept under wraps by mainstream media.

As David Brat said - `Eric Cantor is Obama's biggest supporter of amnesty. A vote for Cantor is a vote for amnesty'.

Cantor had $5 million in his war chest and he spent $5 million to win. Brat had $214,000. There are massive reasons why Cantor lost that had nothing to do with his `Prada elevator shoes'. Puleeze.