The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
ALL RIGHT THEN, I'M GOING TO BED. SEE YOU ALL IN THE MORNING. PERHAPS OUR INBOXES WILL BE FULL OF GOOD NEWS. (NOT A CODE.)

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Thrilled for a Caps win. Although hubby turned the game on for a minute and Boston scored :( I quickly left the room and came back later to find the Caps were victorious. I really am all powerful. Unfortunately it didn't translate to my inbox. Still nothing here.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
You really are powerful. When your husband turned on the game, you should have run from the room.

Yes, the Ward goal was sweet. They're calling it the $3 million dollar goal here. (His salary -- he has been disappointing until the playoffs, but now all seems forgiven.)

I read through some of the Cap/Bruins thread on the Canucks message board, just to see other folks' take on the series. (You all dislike the Bruins, don't ya?) Anyway, I saw one person had hoped before the game that the Caps would win with a goal by either Hendricks or Ward. And those are the two who scored.

Wish I could get some action in your inbox (and others here too, of course). How about if I predict no one here will get any news they're are waiting for this week? Isn't going to happen! That should help. The universe likes to prove me wrong.

Don't know if I should work on my NF today. Two days ago (even-numbered) it was crap. Yesterday I made progress and saw potential. But today is divisible by two...

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Anyway, I saw one person had hoped before the game that the Caps would win with a goal by either Hendricks or Ward. And those are the two who scored.

We were watching Game 6 for a bit in overtime and my wife said, "Too bad the Capitals don't have a black player, it would be awesome if they did and he scored the winning goal." Next camera shot was of the bench and we both saw there were a couple of black guys there.

Took 'till game 7, but what the hell right?

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Wish I could get some action in your inbox (and others here too, of course). How about if I predict no one here will get any news they're are waiting for this week? Isn't going to happen! That should help. The universe likes to prove me wrong.
Well here's hoping the universe is listening to you today. :)

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Like I said, you are all going to be ignored. I just know.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
So far that is completely true. For me. :eek:( Maybe the universe is ignoring you, Hathor.
If you subscribe to multiple universe theory, there is a universe out there where we are all successful, published authors...

I fear this here universe saw through my ploy.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Instead of doing something constructive with my writing, I bought some stone to line a planting bed (so the lawn guys won't keep running things over) and a replacement microwave (the machines don't like us). And I offered some detailed advice to someone, who asked for it...honest. She thanked me. I guess that's something. Build up the karma...

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Instead of doing something constructive with my writing, I bought some stone to line a planting bed (so the lawn guys won't keep running things over) and a replacement microwave (the machines don't like us). And I offered some detailed advice to someone, who asked for it...honest. She thanked me. I guess that's something. Build up the karma...
Karma and me are not on good terms.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
All of the agents have spent the last couple of weeks at Camp Bestseller, working on teambuilding exercises like 'speed rejection' (not on actual queries of course, it's just practice), author-belittling, and 'oops your query got caught in my spam filter' apologies (points for most creative, worst grammar, and least apologetic).

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying to choose my worst rejection. The one where the guy was "willing to take this on" one day and then changed his mind when I asked him some questions? The agent who called me up and was all enthused, then read my stuff and said he "was so disappointed" in me? The one who said she looked forward to reading my book and then never got back to me, despite several nudges (one and a half years, still counting)? The one who said no, because she just sold a book similar to mine and didn't want the competition -- oh, and by the way, I should buy her client's book when it came out? The one who said, "Eh, this just isn't...writerly enough"? The "I like your book but the market is bad right now" message?

They all hurt. Makes me appreciate form rejections, however I might make fun of them.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Ouch. I'm mostly impressed with your ability to keep going. But if I had to pick, I'd go with the agent that tried to sell you her client's book. That, my dear, takes the cake. But they're all terrible. Is it too early to start drinking?

It's Friday. Those Rs should be rolling in any time now.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, probably too early to drink anything other than sources of caffeine. Besides, the landscapers are here (got to get feeding the deer -- they expect it). I shouldn't go stumbling about my property or exclaiming, "Oh, what the hell. Tear it all out. Let's go with BAMBOO! Let's see the deer eat that."

I left out one of the gems of rejection. "There's something here, but I think you need someone to co-author. I know somebody. Now you'd have to pay her in advance..."

Yeah, I keep going. Must be a function of being a Washington sports fan. They tear your heart out each year but you keep on believing that maybe this year...

Speaking of sports, did you notice how the hockey playoffs now have teams seeded one through eight? Maybe some sort of cosmic convergence -- and the universe will decide that this is the Caps year (we're lucky number seven). Or maybe we could at least take out the Rangers, too. That would be nice. Then the Flyers, assuming they're still in.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
And speaking of drinking, too, one thing we did on our little excursion yesterday was go to the liquor store. I discovered a Canadian liqueur called Yukon Jack, labeled as "The Black Sheep of Canadian Liquors." I had to buy it when I read on the back label that: "Yukon Jack is a taste born of hoary nights, when lonely men struggled to keep their fires lit and cabins warm."

I got the giggles so had to buy it. No idea what the stuff tastes like yet.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
And speaking of drinking, too, one thing we did on our little excursion yesterday was go to the liquor store. I discovered a Canadian liqueur called Yukon Jack, labeled as "The Black Sheep of Canadian Liquors." I had to buy it when I read on the back label that: "Yukon Jack is a taste born of hoary nights, when lonely men struggled to keep their fires lit and cabins warm."

I got the giggles so had to buy it. No idea what the stuff tastes like yet.
Let me know how it goes :)

I can't watch hockey. I'm too depressed. Also, the NFL draft is going on so I'm preoccupied.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, yes. Yukon Jack. I remember it well from my college days. I believe that label is correct. Good luck with that, Hathor.

Uh, thanks. I guess. Maybe I'll have some when hockey is on and I get nervous (maybe I'm safe, though, now that Carleree isn't going to watch). I really want to learn what a "hoary night" is like. I'm not sure that's the adjective they wanted.

Oh, well, it was on sale. Maybe I'll dribble it on new plants and see if it keeps the hungry deer away.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
There's a book title for you, "Hoary Nights."

Status
Not open for further replies.